Playing House

You Clean, I'll Occupy Your Spawn

I spun around quickly, almost dropping an egg. There stood Ben, in the doorway to my kitchen, with a child in either arm. He was smiling broadly, and I saw him take in my appearance.

“Mommy it’s a Blackhawk!” My son whispered excitedly, as if somehow Ben couldn’t hear him. I smiled and bit my lip, nodding. Ben’s smile got even larger.

“You’re a fan eh?” He asked Beau, squeezing him a little. Beau nodded profusely, and then Ben turned to the child in his other arm. “What about you?” She just looked at him intently, and then looked down.

“She doesn’t talk much,” I told him softly. I think Ben understood there was more to the story, so he set them down softly.

“Uh, why don’t you guys go play in the living room…I have to talk to your mom,” he commanded lightly. They both scurried off, leaving me and him alone in the kitchen. “Smells good,” he complimented, nodding toward the stove.

“Oh, yeah,” I replied, resuming my cooking. “You’re welcome to stay if you’d like,” I offered.

“If it’s no hassle,” he shrugged. I smiled and continued my task. “So…were they the reason you refused the job?” He asked, suddenly sounding very close. I turned my head and saw him leaning on the counter right next to me.

“Uh, yeah,” I said. “It’s just, after you said ‘live-in,’ I assumed it would be wrong to take the job and then just show up with twin toddlers.” He smiled and dipped his finger into the pancake batter.

“I respect that, and thank you,” he said, licking the batter off his finger. I was one step away from throwing myself at him, seriously. “But I don’t mind.” I kept looking at his lips and mouth, until what he said registered with me.

“Wait, really?”

“Yeah, I mean, with those hours you had before, you probably never got to see them. I’m not going to take that away from you,” he smiled, reaching for the batter again. I slapped his hands away, partially because it was unsanitary, and partially because it was inappropriate. And partially because if he did it again I would jump his bones.

“And I know Ariel didn’t seem pleasant, but she’s really good with kids, honest,” he said. I nodded, mentally weighing the pros and cons. When my list of cons came up blank, I made my decision.

“Well, then I guess if the offer’s still up for grabs, I’ll take it,” I agreed.

“Excellent,” he replied, sticking out his hand. I shook it gratefully, hoping things could finally start turning around.

Ben glanced down at me again before stepping back and clearing his throat. I was confused until I remembered I was still only wearing my short little robe.

“Oh, god, I’m sorry, I’ll go put some clothes on,” I apologized.

“It’s okay, I don’t mind.”

I turned my head to look at him and saw him glancing at my legs before looking into my eyes. We both just kind of stood there for a moment, not knowing what to do.

“Mommy,” Beau called, coming into the kitchen. We both turned toward the little boy gratefully. “Is beck-fast done?”

“Uh, almost,” I replied. “Mommy’s going to go get changed and hope that Mr. Ben here will watch the food for her, and then I’ll finish everything up, okay?” They both nodded, and I went into my room to put clothes on.

When I came back out and went into the kitchen, I saw Ben hovering over the stove with Beau hanging on his back like a monkey. Madeline was just watching intently from her seat.

“Oooh dat one’s fluffy,” Beau noted. Curious as to what he was talking about, I approached from behind and saw Ben making the pancakes.

“Oh, you didn’t have to-”

“It’s cool,” Ben smiled, one hand holding the flipper and the other holding Beau’s arm. “You did most of it.” I nodded and looked at Beau.

“Why don’t you get off the poor man and let him cook?” I suggested. Beau shook his head animatedly.

“It’s fine, I got him,” Ben smiled. I looked over at Madeline, who went back to drawing something.

“Maddie, do you want to come watch?” I asked her. She didn’t answer. She didn’t even look up at me. “Maddie?” This time she just shook her head no.

Ben looked at me sympathetically, although unsure about what was going on.

I wordlessly got the plates and silverware as Ben finished the pancakes. As Ben finished, he put Beau in his seat next to his sister and helped me load up the plates. We brought the plates to the table and I grabbed Madeline, putting her in her booster seat thingy I had for the kids so they could sit in the regular chairs at the table. I turned to grab Beau, but Ben had already put him in his chair and was pushing the chair in closer the table.

He caught my eye and grinned at me, and I was floored by how well he was interacting with the kids. I was always guarded about bringing men into their lives. Their dad was unreliable and always crushed their hopes, and every time they got close to a boyfriend of mine he left too. They were always so heartbroken, so I pretty much stopped dating all together.

I almost shook my head at my thoughts. It’s not like Ben and I could ever be an item; I mean, he was my employer for Pete’s sake.

Ben sat down and I grabbed the OJ and coffee, along with cream and sugar. I wasn’t used to eating meals with another adult, so it would sometimes slip my mind that he was even there.

Like, for instance, when I focused all my time on cutting Maddie and Beau’s food and feeding them small bites instead of actually eating myself.

“I can help,” he said, causing me to jump. Like I said, I forgot he was there. He grabbed Maddie’s utensils from my hand, giving me no other choice. I went to argue, but as soon as she actually ate the food he supplied her, I shut my mouth.

Madeline was, to say the least, fussy. She was actually really smart and perceptive, so whenever an older male would come around she’d shut herself off, already assuming he’d leave if she got too attached to him. She had already shown signs of pushing Ben away, so I was surprised when she actually cooperated with him.

The reason she didn’t talk though, was for another reason. A reason that makes me feel so guilty, I wish I could go back in time and change things. Obviously I couldn’t, so I just had to sit there and take the accusing looks she would shoot at me sometimes. She never spoke to me or anyone else, but she would whisper things to Beau and he would relay her message. Sometimes she never said anything at all; they would just use their freaky twin power and communicate.

I was still trying to figure out how they did that.

Anyways, Ben was oblivious to my worrying and Beau was making noises with his mouth wide open, trying to clue me in that he wanted another bite. I fed him a mouthful and then started eating my own breakfast, stealing glances at Ben every so often.

“So, you need that real estate guy’s info?” Ben asked, taking a bite of his bacon.

“Um, yeah I guess,” I shrugged, not knowing anything about that kind of stuff. I think Ben could tell, because he chuckled lightly.

“I’ll take care of it,” he assured, wiping some syrup off of Maddie’s face. “I’ll help you move too,” he offered, looking around.

“Oh,” I was about to tell him not to worry about it, before realizing I’d definitely need his help. “Thanks.”

Once everyone had finished their meal I cleared the table, and Ben came up behind me to help.

“Mommmmmmmyyyyy!” Beau yelled. We both turned to look at him, and he had his arms in the air and was bouncing up and down, wanting to be picked up.

“Woah buddy, lower it a few decibels, eh?” Ben remarked, turning toward him. Beau just stared at him, not having any clue as to the meaning of what Ben had just said. We both laughed at his clueless expression, and Ben walked over and swooped him up before grabbing Maddie as well. “Alright,” he said to me. “You clean, I’ll occupy your spawn.” I laughed and he went into the living room. I heard screaming giggles, and I could only imagine what was going on out there. I finished the dishes and dried my hands before heading out into the living room.

When I got there, I saw pillows and couch cushions and chairs everywhere, all covered by blankets.

“What on earth-”

“Moooooooooom!” Beau whispered/yelled from one of the forts. From what I could make out, there were two forts, both relatively the same size.

“Beau?” I replied. I saw him poke his head out and smile at me, and Maddie’s head soon popped out and joined him. I kneeled next to their fort and ruffled their hair. “Where’s Ben?”

“Here!” He yelled suddenly, popping his head out of the other fort and startling me.

“Mommy! Run! He’s the dragon!!! He’s gonna geeeet you!” Beau exclaimed, retreating into the fort and pulling his sister in as well.

“Too late, I got her!” Ben yelled, suddenly right behind me. He grabbed me and hauled me over his shoulder, and I involuntarily squealed.

Beau and Maddie hopped out of their fort with fake plastic swords. Ben ran around in circles around the forts for a little bit, and I couldn’t stop laughing. Suddenly he stopped and turned around, and roared.

Yes, he roared. At my children. Causing them to scream and run back into their fort.

And yet, I was never more turned on by a roar in my entire life. It didn’t help that right after he dragged me into his fort, which was a tight fit, he sat down Indian style and then set me in his lap.

So not a good position for a woman in my state of mind.

Ben smirked at me, and all I could focus on after that were his lips. I finally looked into his eyes, which were looking right back into mine. I saw him swallow hard, and I felt his hand guide my legs to wrap around him, so instead of sitting on his lap, I was straddling him. His hands then went to my hips, and I saw him lick his lips while staring at my own.

“SURRENDER DRAGON!” Beau suddenly burst through the fort, causing Ben and I to fly apart and knock the fort over. “I saved you mommy!!” Beau yelled, clinging to me along with Maddie.

“My knight in shining armor,” I said, kissing Beau’s head. “And his princess sidekick,” I added, giving Maddie a kiss as well. They both smiled up at me and then turned back to Ben and the destroyed fort. Ben was looking at me with a small smile on his face, before he got up and put both forts together to make one giant super fort.

Beau and Maddie scrambled inside, and Beau poked his head out again.

“Mommy and Ben you come in here,” Beau stated. “We play King and Queen and Prince and Princess.” I glanced at Ben, but he was already crawling inside the fort.

“Come on your majesty,” he called to me. I crawled in as well, and Beau set up his light globe thingy. It was this rotating sphere that projected shapes on the surfaces while slowly spinning. Beau snuggled up in my arms, while Maddie surprisingly did the same with Ben. Maddie and Beau reached out for each other though, causing me and Ben to scoot closer towards the middle of the fort from our respective sides.

Ben sat up a little, readjusting everyone. He pulled Maddie, who was already dozing off, on top of him, and then pulled Beau and I closer as well. He put his arm under my head, and the only thing that was between us was a now sleeping Beau.

As we laid there quietly, just watching the “stars,” Ben ran his fingers up and down my arm and played with my hair. I felt my eyelids droop as well, and before I knew it, the four of us had passed out in the fort.