Playing House

All Natural

“Let’s go shopping now,” I said to Leah.

“Right now?” She responded.

“Right now,” I affirmed, grabbing my purse. I scribbled a quick note to Ben as Leah gathered her things.

I rushed her out of the house, getting in the car Ben had gotten me. This was the first time I’d get to drive it, and I wished I could have been more excited than angry.

“Are you alright?” Leah asked, noticing the speedometer climbing.

“No,” I grunted. Yes, I grunted. It’s hard not to when it’s how Ben answers everything.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

I glanced over at Leah, who looked genuinely concerned.

“I don’t want you to be bothered with it,” I told her.

“I don’t mind,” she assured.

“I know you don’t,” I smiled. “That’s why I feel so bad about unloading on you.”

“Is it your parents? Or Ben?” Leah prodded.

“Both,” I snorted. I went on to tell her about my situation with my parents, as well as catching her up on the Ben situation. “So, wise one. What sage advice can you offer me?”

“Amalia,” Leah chuckled as we walked the aisles in the supermarket. “I really don’t know what to say. I mean, it seems like your parents are trying, so just give them a shot, you know? But tell them how you feel. As for Ben…he’s just being stupid. And since you both have a history of being stupid with one another, I’d say just wait it out. He’ll apologize eventually.”

“You don’t think I should apologize to him at all?”

“What? What for?”

“I dunno,” I shrugged. “I just feel like maybe I should have been more-”

“No,” she interrupted. “This is all him. All him. Don’t you dare apologize.”

I nodded and she gave me a reassuring smile as we continued to shop. I was sorting through the cereals when I heard talking on the other side of the aisle.

“Eags, you need to get over yourself, man,” the voice said. I narrowed my eyes and looked at Leah, who’s eyebrows shot up. We both leaned in further toward the cereal, trying to listen to the conversation on the other side. “You’re just mad because I kicked your ass in practice. No, I didn’t know what was going on but you deserved it after the shit you said in front of Mal and the twins.”

I shot Leah another look now that it was confirmed that the person was talking about my Ben. I could tell by the voice that it was Patrick Sharp.

“She tried to leave? When? When Burr and I were still there? Oh, you mean after she chucked that towel at your face?” He laughed, causing me to smile. “Whatever, it was funny. Was too. Was too."

I rolled my eyes at their mini-argument, wanting them to get back on topic.

"Well I mean you got her to stay, didn’t you? What do you mean only temporarily? Ben, I’m trying to shop right now, and this sounds like a story I don’t have time for at the moment. Meet me at my apartment in like an hour. What do you mean you can’t leave? Her parents are there??” Patrick suddenly let out a barking laugh, and I had to bite my lip from laughing as well.

“Alright, alright,” Patrick coughed, trying to catch his breath. “Where are you now that you’re able to talk about them without them hearing? Oh, gotcha. Alright then, go ahead and tell me the story from the beginning I guess,” Patrick sighed.

Leah and I tried to stealthily follow Patrick as he shopped and mumbled an “mhm” or “okay” to Ben every once in a while.

“So, after you found the note that she left with Leah you called me? That’s everything that’s happened so far?” Patrick clarified. “Okay. Well it’s not like she’s going to leave if her parents are still around. I don’t know if she’s still going to leave or not, Ben, I’m just saying I don’t think…well you were pretty fucking shitty to her. I wouldn’t blame her for leaving. Hey, you asked me to tell you the truth, and the truth is I don’t know whether or not she’ll leave but I think she has every right to. I know you don’t want her to leave, Ben, but does she know that? Yeah you asked her not to so you’d talk later and then you ignored her later, so again, she should leave your sorry ass. And you know what? I’ll tell her to come to my place because number one I’ll treat her right, number two I’ll treat her kids right, and number three she won’t have to picture me instead of you when she takes baths. I’ll be there,” Patrick remarked before hanging up.

I stormed around the corner, straight at Patrick who didn’t see me coming.

“He told you that I said that?” I exclaimed. Patrick jumped slightly, fumbled his phone to the point of almost dropping it, and looked at me with confused, wide eyes. He remained slack-jawed until he realized what was going on.

“How much of that did you hear?”

“Since the part you told him to get over himself,” I informed.

“So, basically the whole time,” Patrick chuckled and I sighed. “So, do you really picture me?”

“Patrick,” I stated. “Every woman who knows you exist has pictured you.” A deep blush rose up his neck and he cleared his throat nervously.

“Um, thanks,” his voice cracked. I smirked at him, letting out a small laugh.

“So, what’s Ben doing?”

“Standing out in the cold ‘letting the dogs pee’ while your parents are inside with the kids,” Patrick smiled, shaking his head. “And by the way, your parents?”

“Yeah, tell me about it,” I mumbled. “I don’t know why they’re here. I mean I know why they said they were here, but I don’t know…it just seems like they got too nice too fast.”

By now Leah had come up behind me and waved to Patrick.

“Hi Leah,” he smiled, his gaze lingering on her for a moment. I raised my eyebrow at him, but he was still watching Leah as she gazed at the items on the shelves. I smirked to myself, plans circulating in my head.

I waited for Patrick to look at me again, and I shot him a knowing look.

“What?” He asked me. I just smiled wider and he shook his head. “No.” I wiggled my eyebrows, and he glanced at Leah to make sure she wasn’t paying attention to us. “No,” he repeated.

“Oh, yes,” I nodded.

“Amalia, really, I don’t think-”

“So, what did Ben say about me leaving?” I interrupted. Patrick looked at me disgruntled, knowing I changed the subject on purpose.

“That it freaked him the fuck out,” Patrick stated.

“…Really?” I asked, genuinely surprised.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “He said when he walked into the room and saw you packing he felt his chest tighten up. I didn’t know why back then, but he was insanely antsy to get back home during practice. And he said that he didn’t talk to you right away when he got home because he was afraid he’d say something wrong and you’d leave anyways.”

“Well he has failed at-”

“At life, I know,” Patrick inserted. “I know you guys ended up fighting anyways. But Mal, you can’t leave him. I don’t care what he says or doesn’t say, he needs you, and he needs the kids. He would fall apart if you left. He wants you to stay, he just doesn’t know how to apologize after he fucked up so much in such a short period of time.”

“Patrick,” I sighed. “You need to spend more time with Ben. Rub off on him or something.”

Patrick laughed, and suddenly his phone was buzzing again.

“Here we go,” Patrick mused, noting it was Ben. “Hello?" I stood there as Patrick began to talk to Ben again. “Eager, you know I’m not going to steal your woman. I was just trying to get through to you. Ben, she would not leave you in a second for me. No she would not. No, she would not. Ben. Ben. You’re acting like a girl. Yes you are, you sound like a fucking girl. Well maybe if you weren’t such an asshole to her…Look Ben, just apologize. Genuinely apologize and I bet she’ll be willing to talk it out with you. Tonight? But aren’t her parents over? I don’t know…ask her first and call me back. Okay. Yeah. Bye.” Patrick snapped his phone shut and sighed heavily.

“What was that about?”

“Well, I think you could figure most of it out. But at the end he asked me to come over for dinner with the guys,” Patrick explained.

“Tonight?”

“Yep. He says your dad is a big fan.”

“Well he is, but having all you guys over for dinner while everything is still so weird…you know what? That’s actually starting to sound really good. It will be a nice distraction, you know?” I said.

“So, you actually do want us all over?”

“Yes, I do. Call me later and let me know how many of you are coming,” I requested.

“Well actually I have to wait until Ben calls me and says it’s okay to invite guys, because he doesn’t know that I’m talking to you right now. And then I’ll just tell him how many guys I think are coming.”

“Uhh. Sure,” I said, scratching my head. “Whatever.”

“I’ll see you later?” He smiled.

“Yep. Later,” I nodded, giving him a hug.

“Bye Leah,” he waved.

“Bye Patrick,” She grinned.

After he rounded the corner, I turned and looked at her.

Bye Patrick,” I cooed, teasing her. She immediately blushed and avoided eye contact.

“Shut up,” she mumbled.

“He’s siiiiingle,” I sang, nudging her.

“Really?”

“Mhm,” I affirmed.

“Well, even so, he’s probably not interested,” she shrugged.

“Wrong,” I countered. “He is so interested. I saw him check you out when you weren’t paying attention.” She blushed even deeper and couldn’t stop the grin from spreading on her face. “C’mon,” I said, pulling her along. “We’ve got to buy some stuff for dinner tonight. But don’t you worry. Leave Patrick up to me. I’m going to play matchmaker.”

“Oh, I don’t know, Amalia. I don’t want him to feel like he has to just because-”

“Leah, I promise, it’s going to be all natural. I’m not going to set you up in a date or anything, I’m just going to give you two a nudge. I promise, I’ll try to keep things as comfortable as possible. Trust me?”

“Okay,” she agreed, causing me to grin.

“Excellent,” I smiled, feeling content for the first time that day.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little shorter than usual, but I had to break it up this way.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with Sharpie being on the phone and the whole one sided conversation thing. =)

Comments appreciated!