Playing House

Personal Vs. Professional

The beds were empty.

The beds were empty.

I panicked, and honestly the first thought that popped into my head was that those beastly dogs ate my children.

Wait…where were the beastly dogs?? I didn't remember seeing them all day…

I’d have to remember to ask Ben.

Suddenly I snapped back to the reality that my children were missing. I flew out of the room and ran down the hall to Ben’s, knocking swiftly on the door. It opened a few moments later, and when Ben saw my expression he grabbed my arms.

“Amalia, what’s wrong?” He asked.

“They’re gone, I don’t know where…I had this dream but then they were fine but then I had to really check and-”

“Woah! Shh calm down. Take a deep breath,” he cooed, rubbing his hands up and down my arm. “Start over.”

“I had a dream where I got this urge to check on my children so I did and they were fine but then I woke up so I went to check on them anyways and they were gone,” I sobbed.

Yes, I had burst into tears.

Ben chuckled at me, and I looked at him like he just slapped me in the face.

“How is this funny?!” I tried pushing him off me but he just pulled me further into his chest.

“I’m sorry,” he said, trying to stifle his laughs. He kissed me on the top of my head but I was too busy glowering at him to care.

“Yeah, you sound like it. My children are missing!” I was a wreck. Ben pulled back and held my face in his hands, brushing my tears away.

“I’m sorry,” he repeated. “Come here.” He grabbed my hands and tugged me forward into his room, shutting the door behind him. I watched him the whole time, my head not processing anything. He motioned to his bed, and my heart gave a lurch.

My children were cuddled up in Ben’s bed.

“I was sleeping, and a few hours ago I heard knocking on my door. I opened it, and they were both standing there, crying,” he explained. I turned back to Ben.

“Crying?”

“I think they were freaked out. They woke up in a new place and probably scared themselves. They said they couldn’t find you, and when they gave me those puppy eyes and asked if they could stay in here it’s not like I could say no,” he told me. A slow grin crept onto my face and I suddenly felt ridiculously stupid.

“You could’ve knocked on my door,” I said. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be,” he said. “It was no problem. But just out of curiosity…”

“What?”

“How do you say ‘no’ to them?” He asked.

“You’ll learn,” I told him, chuckling. Ben shook his head.

“I don’t think so,” he denied. “They’ve pretty much made me their bitch.”

His statement made me laugh out loud, and Beau and Maddie both stirred slightly.

“Shh,” Ben laughed, covering my mouth. We both were trying to stifle our laughs, which only made us laugh harder. I tried prying his hand off my mouth, but since we were both laughing so hard we somehow ended up falling onto the ground.

He caught me before I totally crushed him, but he set my body on top of his anyways as we calmed down.

“I can’t breathe,” he coughed, still laughing a little.

“Me either…and your hand smothering me was not helping,” I remarked.

“Sorry,” he laughed, sending us into another mini-episode. Eventually we got off the floor and I walked over to the bed.

“I should get them back to bed,” I announced.

“What if they freak out again?”

I looked at him, trying to figure out why he was so worried.

“I’ll just take them to my room,” I shrugged. He nodded, but before I picked them up I paused. “Ben?”

“Yeah?”

“Where are the dogs?” I asked him.

“They’re at Sharpie’s,” Ben answered. “With all the moving and people going in and out I figured it was best if they weren’t here.” I nodded at his logic. “Plus I wanted the kids to get used to the place before getting all hyped up around the dogs. And by the way you reacted to the dogs the other day, I wanted you to be able to settle in without freaking out too.”

I smiled at him. God, what I wouldn’t give to jump this man right now.

“Thanks,” I replied, gratefully.

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” He suddenly asked. I turned to him, confused.

“What?”

“It’s just, I’ve bonded with Beau and Maddie so quickly, and I don’t want you to think I’m a creeper or anything…but I really do-” He cut himself off.

“You really do…what?” I dug.

“Never mind,” he said, shaking his head.

“Ben,” I said, touching his arm. He turned to me and sighed.

“Where’s their dad?”

Wow.

“He’s…around,” I shrugged. “I mean, he keeps in touch every once in a while, but he never really visits. His child support is always on time, so I can’t really complain.”

“Can’t really complain?! How can you not complain about a guy who abandoned you and your children?” Ben shot out. My eyes got wide and his expression softened. “Sorry.”

“No, it’s fine,” I said, trying to hide that I was upset. “I’m going to take them to bed.”

“Amalia,” Ben said, grabbing my arm and making me turn back to him. “Please don’t be mad, I just-”

“I just don’t see how it’s any of your business,” I snapped. He furrowed his eyebrows at me.

“You don’t see how it’s my business? You and your children are living in my house, so I would say it’s definitely my business,” Ben stated.

“I’m here as your housekeeper, an employee, a professional. My personal life, therefore, is none of your business,” I corrected.

“Fine. From here on out, everything will be completely professional,” he stated.

“Fine,” I agreed, grabbing my children swiftly (Which was no easy feat, let me tell you), and leaving Ben’s room. I laid the kids down in my bed and crawled in soon after, trying to fall asleep.

Needless to say my night was restless, and I was more confused than ever.

The next morning I got up fairly early so I get a jump on the day. I had a job to do, plus unpack all my stuff. Ben had gone to practice early, and left me a note that Sharp was bringing the dogs by later tonight so I should ‘be prepared.’

Psh, whatever.

There wasn’t really much cleaning to be done, but he had a mountain of laundry that I started on.

The kids pretty much occupied themselves with the television, so I didn’t worry about them too much. I made a quick array of sandwiches for lunch, not knowing if Ben was even going to be back or not.

Oh well, his loss.

Ben actually ended up coming in a few minutes later, greeting me with a polite ‘hello.’

“I made sandwiches for lunch,” I told him.

“Thanks,” he said, going into the kitchen. He came back out with a sandwich in his hand, getting crumbs everywhere and sifting through the mail.

“Ben!” Beau cried, jumping up along with his sister. Ben turned toward them excitedly, but then he glanced at me and looked back at them with a stoic expression. “We play?”

“No,” Ben said. You could almost see their hearts breaking.

“But…why?” Beau asked, lip quivering. I knew he thought he had done something to upset Ben, but I don’t think Ben realized that that was how my kids thought.

Ben looked right into my eyes as he walked away.

“It’s unprofessional,” he stated.

I stared after him, mouth agape, but I guess I had asked for it. I looked back over at Beau and Maddie, who looked like they were just scolded.

“Come here,” I said to the two of them. They immediately hauled themselves into my arms and I hugged them. Just then the front doors burst open, and the wild dogs beasts came stampeding into the house, barking madly. Beau and Maddie freaked out and started screaming, trying to pull themselves higher to get away from the dogs.

It probably didn’t comfort them when they saw me freaking out too. I was backing away rapidly when I tripped and fell backwards. Luckily Beau and Maddie stayed securely in my arms as I was cornered against a wall. I saw Ben come rushing out of wherever he was when he heard the screaming, and he ran towards us.

“Heel!” He yelled at the dogs. They both approached him excitedly and Patrick Sharp came rushing in.

“Sorry,” he said to me. “I thought it would be okay to just let them in.”

I nodded and he and Ben talked for a bit before Patrick left.

“Go lay down,” Ben commanded to the dogs. They listened without hesitation, going and making themselves comfortable. Ben helped me up and looked at my children, who were bawling their eyes out, frightened.

“It’s okay, they’re just doggies,” I tried. My voice was shaking as well though, so I’m sure I wasn’t too convincing. Beau and Maddie both reached out to Ben, wanting to be held by him. But he just took a step back, shaking his head. “You can’t do that to them, please.”

He just looked at me confused.

“Have a professional relationship with me, fine. But they’ve already grown attached to you and they think you’re mad at them,” I told him. He looked at them, and I could literally see Ben’s inner battle. He held out his arms, and the kids nearly lunged themselves toward him. He held one in either arm, and they clung to him tightly.

“I think it’s time for a nap, eh?” He remarked, looking at the kids who were beginning to doze off. I followed Ben upstairs as he walked to their room. He tucked them in, and then wordlessly passed me in the doorway.

The last thing I heard was him shutting his own bedroom door softly.