Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 2: The Unseen Secrets

Ever since I was young, the dark had been my own place; my world, my sanctuary. Secrets didn't exist here in the way they did in the light. I'm not the one hiding them; they seemed to be hiding themselves.
For once, I didn't need to hide anything and that was comfort I always embraced and welcomed.
These secrets weren't in my room, or inside my head.
They came out every night after sundown; they walked the streets and lurked in shadows.
For few years when I was younger, I didn't know what they were. Even now it was unclear to me, what they were exactly. I knew for sure, they weren't human. Until recently, I didn't feel all that special watching what the night played out under the moonlight. It was strange watching normal people, walking amongst these creatures at night. It was like watching two films at once, one overlapping over another. They didn't blend; they were like a heterogeneous mix. It seemed like they were oblivious to the fact that they weren't alone.
It hit me hard when I realized I was the only one who was able to see them.

Me.

Memories of the shock played over and over again as I stared out the window, watching the shadows grow deeper as the sun set.
What are they?
I peered down at them from my bedroom window, the question playing in my mind.
They should be coming out soon...
I caught something white move in the dark from the corner of my eye. My eyes flickered over to the area, searching for the mysterious light.

At first, I couldn't see a thing. There was nothing out of the ordinary moving about in the dark. Just as I was about to let it go, I saw it again. My breath caught in my throat as I stood by the window, just watching with a sense of wonder. A soft white cloud swirled and lifted from the ground, slowly condensing into a solid shape. Everything else around it seemed to have stopped in place as the light settled and faded into the now solid figure. I stared, focusing harder to see what it was. I haven't seen anything like it, yet something about it was familiar. It had arms, legs, a torso, and a face...

I breathed in sharply at the recognition of the new creature--- it was my elderly next door neighbor, Mr. Connor. He was a widower, living alone. He was always kind and considerate towards my sister and I, so I was naturally fond of him. But few months back, he suffered a stroke and was in a weak state since. I had heard that his daughter and her kids moved in to help him out instead of placing him into a nursing home.
Instinctively, I threw a checking glance to the left where Mr. Connor's house was. Did he pass on? Why was he out? How did he suddenly appear?
I couldn't bring myself to pull my eyes away. This new Mr. Connor looked... refreshed, youthful and healthy. It was as if he was freed from his stress and burdened body.
A sudden thought dawned on me as I watched him stir.
He must have died in his sleep tonight.
At that thought I mourned. He was a kind neighbor, always laughing and cheerful.
I hope you have a safe trip to... the other side, I prayed silently for him. I didn't know exactly what to wish for him but I wished him well even after death.
Maybe he had heard me somehow, because at that moment he looked up and stared right at me. He raised his hand up towards my window, wearing a bizarre expression. He looked around, wide-eyed, taking in his surroundings. He started to pace, confusion written all over his face.
He was not aware that he was dead.

Even I could tell when someone was panicked, and Mr. Connor was obviously in a state of distress at his new form. If only I could help...
Without really thinking I reached for my window latch to open the window. I was about to throw the window open when I felt a feeling of cold dread creeping its way into my chest. My skin started to crawl, and my stomach immediately tightened into a sick twist.
What was happening?!
I looked back at Mr. Connor and saw him bristle. His eyes reflected terror and he spun around away from my window and stared down the street. I did the same from my second floor bedroom. I searched the seemingly empty street for anything that seemed to be threatening his... I guess his soul.
The cold in my chest didn't go away; it only grew tighter and it was starting to hurt. It was getting hard to breathe.
But I didn't let my eyes off that street; something was awfully wrong.

Something is coming...

At that moment, as if on queue, the streetlights popped and flickered, dimming to dark with a low hum one by one. Little by little, the only light outside dimmed and faded, until there was only one light left. I saw Mr. Connor turn around to that light, his eyes begging for it not to go off.
"Mr. Connor," I breathed, feeling his terror and anxiety.
He was visibly shaking, looking left to right in a paranoid manner as if he could hear something my ears couldn't. He looked back at the last flickering light, shaking his head frantically. I felt a pang of fear drilling into my chest.
"Don't go off..." I heard myself whisper.

The light flickered like a weakened pulse for the last time, then buzzed to dark.

"Shit!" I hissed before turning on my heel and bolting out of my room.
I raced down the stairs and sprinted down the hall to the front door.
Let me make it, please let me make it!!
As I made my way to the front door, I felt the air change around me. It was colder and deadlier. A deep howling rung in my ear, and I heard a scream.
NO!!
I threw myself against the door, my hands fumbling with the cold metal knob. I swore at myself again as I forgot to undo the locks.
Come on! Work with me!
I got the last of the locks, twisted the knob and threw the door open. I stepped outside, ready to leap into Mr. Connor's aid.

To my surprise and bewilderment, the street was lit again... and it was empty.

I looked down the street and saw Mr. Connor's ghost curled on the ground, still shaking. Right in front of him hovered a figure wearing a black hooded cape. He reached down and placed a hand on Mr. Connor's shoulder.
Instinctively, I jumped off my porch and sprinted towards the two.

"Mr. Connor!!" I yelled as I rushed my way to him.
No way was I going to sit around and watch him get tortured or whatever that stranger was planning. Not if I can help it. I was now close enough to hear what he was saying.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Mr. Connor was saying.

I stopped in my tracks, not understanding what was going on. I watched from a distance as the dark stranger slipped his hand of Mr. Connor's shoulder and brought it to his face, somewhere under the hood. He brought the same hand to his chest, right over his heart. Then he reached back down and stroked Mr. Connor on the top of his head.
Mr. Connor sighed, looked at me and gave me a warm happy smile.

"Celeste, thank you for everything you have done for me until the very end..." he sighed.

The glowing came back, erupting from his chest. White, dust-like particles swirled in the air, circling around his whole body.
Mr. Connor closed his eyes and tilted his head up. With one final sigh, he dissolved into the light, and disappeared.

I think my jaw dropped open.
I must be dreaming... this is unreal!! I thought to myself.

I looked up and saw the hooded stranger turn towards me.
Without thinking, I took a step back. The stranger didn't follow, just looked at me. Or at least I think he was looking at me. I couldn't be sure, the only thing I saw of his face was his lips.

The stranger smiled and brought a finger to his lips, signaling me to keep quiet.
Then, he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there's you have it! How was it?
We're getting right into the plot with this one so, hang on tight!!

COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE...FLOAT MY BOAT!!