Status: Completed

I Hate the Way You Say My Name, Like It's Something Secret

Chapter 44

I woke up hearing loud snoring coming from next to me. Elliot just didn’t know how to sleep quietly, did he? I kicked him and he finally stopped snoring but grumbled at me, still in his sleep. I laughed and pulled out my cell to check the time – 5am. I knew there was no way I’d get back to sleep now so I made my way into the living area of our hotel room where Mike was sleeping on the couch. I tiptoed around him and got into the bathroom so I could get ready.

Once I was ready I made my way down to the lobby of the hotel. It was better than staying cooped up in the room and I wouldn’t have been able to turn on the light to read my book so here was much better. I took a seat on the blue couch, crossing my legs beneath me so I was comfortable before I started reading.

“Morning Cassie,” Pete’s sleepy voice distracted me from my book and I looked up to see him dressed in his pyjama pants, an old band t-shirt and a hoody. Beneath his hood I could see his hair was sticking out in every direction possible and he looked tired.

“Morning,” I smiled as he sat down beside me.

“What’re you doing down here so early?” He asked, clearly trying to make conversation.

“Knew I wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep so I thought I’d come read for a bit.” I told him. He nodded, looking at what book I was reading. “You?”

“I haven’t slept at all to be honest. Just been thinking about everything.” He said tiredly. I could tell he hadn’t slept all night. His eyes were bloodshot and half open and he was speaking slowly.

“You need to get some sleep, Pete.” I told him sternly.

“I’ve tried; you know what I’m like.” He sighed. I nodded, knowing exactly what he was like.

“Well do you wanna come track down the nearest coffee shop with me?” I asked him with a smile. He smiled back and nodded.

We made our way upstairs and got some money before leaving the hotel to wander the streets of Phoenix in hunt of a coffee shop. It was freezing outside and the streets were completely empty as it was still dark. We linked our arms together as we walked and I literally couldn’t stop smiling.

“What are you smiling at?” Pete laughed, looking slightly uncomfortable but smiling none the less.

“It’s just weird, you know? After everything we’ve been through and here we are walking arm in arm in the middle of the night to find a café. It’s just funny.” I laughed, shrugging my shoulders. He shook his head and smiled.

“I know,” He muttered from inside his hood.

“There!” I pointed to the café lit up on the corner of a street. Pete grinned and pulled me towards it. We ordered two coffees and took a seat at a booth in the corner. I shivered, wrapping my hands around the hot mug for warmth.

“So, does this mean we’re friends?” Pete asked randomly, a childish smile playing on his lips. I laughed and nodded.

“I guess it does, Wentz.” I stared down at the steam emitting from my mug, anywhere but those gorgeous eyes.

“So, we’re friends but you can’t even look me in the eye?” I could hear the smirk in his voice and took a deep breath before looking up at him from under my eyelashes. His soft honey colored eyes stared straight back into mine; his pupils were huge in the centre of his caramel swirl looking eyes.

“That’s better.” He grinned as he took a sip of his coffee. I loved being like this with Pete, this is how we used to be – how we should be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short & sweet (: x