Cyberspace Romance

Test

Image
Zoey was standing in her bathroom curling her hair for work when she felt the sudden urge to vomit. She held it down though, hoping the feeling would go away. She hadn't felt good for the last three mornings. She hadn't yet puked-- but she was nauseous. The feeling crept up her throat again, and this time she couldn't hold it back. She turned around and emptied her stomach into the toilet. Once she had regained her composure, she slowly raised to her feet, and wiped her mouth on a cloth and then brushed her teeth. She knew she couldn't go into work today-- not feeling like she did. She walked into her bedroom and picked up her phone from the bed. She phoned Eva, and ask if she could handle the salon today. Of course, Eva, being the amazing friend she was said she could. Zoey was happy she had gave her a spare key.

Zoey walked back into the bathroom and zipped up her make-up bag since she wouldn't be needing it any longer. She tossed her half curled hair back into a clip and then walked out into the living room. She knew Ryder would be leaving for school any minute now, so she decided to go ahead and fix him a piece of toast.

"Hey sis-- why aren't you getting ready?" He ask.
"I'm not going in today-- I feel like shit." Zoey said handing him a slice of buttered toast.
"What's wrong?"
"I think I have the stomach flu or something. I've been sick the last three mornings."

Ryder nodded his head and took a bite of his toast.

"You know." He said swallowing the bite in his mouth, "Shianne's been having rough mornings with the pregnancy. She missed yesterday because of it." Ryder said.

Zoey's eyes went wide with disbelief of what her younger brother had just said. Without saying a word, she walked off. Down the hallway and in her bedroom. She glanced at the calender hanging on the back of her bedroom door, and noticed she hadn't got her period this month. She flipped back to the last month and checked to see when she had circled. She had circled the seventh, and it was now the 20th. She shook her head and then closed her eyes as she recalled the closet. She and Bam had got carried away, and used no protection. Tears were starting to form. She couldn't believe this. She couldn't deal with this.

"Sis, you okay?" Ryder's voice came from the outside of the door.

By now, tears were now slipping from Zoey's eyes. She raised her hands up and brushed them away. "I'm fine." She said, still looking at the calendar on the wall. She couldn't believe she hadn't noticed it-- but it was right. She should have got her period just a few days after the closet incident, and now she was almost two weeks late.

"What's wrong?" Ryder said peeking the door open, and sticking his head in.
"I. . . I don't know." Zoey mumbled.

She didn't want to say it out loud. Saying it out loud would only make it more real. She didn't want anyone to know right now. This was the worse possibly timing ever. Bam and her had just got back together, and he was in rehab, how was a baby suppose to fit into that picture?

"You sure?" Ryder ask.
"I'm fine, Ry. . . you're gonna be late if you don't get going." Zoey said.
"Okay, okay. I'm out. I'll see you later." He said.

Zoey stood there and listened as his foot steps left the house. She heard the front door slam, and then the bike start up. She closed her eyes and breathed out and in deeply. Was it too early for it to be detected on a pregnancy test? She had no clue how to deal with this sort of thing. She bit down on her bottom lip as she turned around and walked towards her closet-- she grabbed a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and quickly tossed them on, grabbed her car keys, and then headed out the front door.

She arrived at rite aid just a bit later. She nervously walked in, avoiding all eye contact with the people inside. She was aware that she probably looked like hell. Half her hair was curled, while the other was straight, and it was tossed up in a clip, she had no make-up on, and she noticed that the t-shirt she was wearing had holes in it, and stained from painting Ryder's bedroom.

She looked down at all the white boxes. Which one should she buy? She grabbed one of each brand and then quickly walked up to the counter, hoping to not be noticed by anyone. She placed the pregnancy test upon the counter and waited for the pixie haired blond to check her out. She bit down on her bottom lip as the girl told her the total. She quickly handed her a fifty dollar bill.

"Keep the change!" Zoey said walking out quickly, there was almost twenty dollars left.

She tossed her bag full of pregnancy test in the passenger seat and rushed home. She walked in and locked the doors. The last thing she needed now, was someone walking in without her knowing and seeing the pregnancy test laying about the house. She walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out a huge container of Sunny D, she poured herself a large glass and forced it down her stomach.

Nearly six glasses later, she finally had the urge to pee. She picked up one of the pregnancy test which said it detected pregnancy early and rushed off to the bathroom. She done her business on the stick and then sit it on her marble counter and waited to watch it change. She read over the paper four of five times. She thought it was going to be pink lines, but she had bought one that spelled out YES or NO.

What was she going to do if she was pregnant? How would everyone react to the news? Would Bam be happy, sad, upset? Was she prepared to be a mother? What would Ryder think? She had so many questions floating through her head. She looked over and noticed it had been long enough for the test to take. She looked down and her eyes widened. In large black letters it said the word YES.

She picked it up and shook it, hoping it was like a magic eight ball and would change it's answer. She looked once again, and it didn't change. She groaned as she tossed the stick into the trash can and walked into the kitchen to repeat the steps. She had no clue what she was going to do.

How was she suppose to tell Bam?

During the next three hours, she drunk everything in the refrigerator, and took three more test. Two were positive, and only one was negative. The negative one was a generic brand, which was cheaper than the others. By the forth test, she gave up. It was no getting over it-- she was pregnant.

She sit on the couch, running her fingers through her hair. How in the world was she going to handle this? How was motherhood suppose to fit into her already hectic schedule? Bam was in rehab, Ryder had a baby on the way, she had just opened a very popular salon, and now she was pregnant.

She decided that the best thing to do would be make a doctor's appointment to make sure. She wouldn't tell anyone until she knew for sure that she was pregnant-- and then if she was, Bam would be the first one to know. Sunday was two days from now, and she knew she probably couldn't get a doctor's appointment before then, so she'd have to live through the weekend wondering if she was in fact pregnant.

But she really didn't have to wonder-- Zoey knew she was. She could feel it.