Firefly

Bones.

He’s been like this for days. Weeks. Months.

You watch him hug himself, his thin arms attempting to hold his angular frame together. At night, your fingers dance over his ribcage, rising and falling over the curves of his bones. It sickens you, but you keep quiet and listen to him breathing softly in your arms. The sound reassures you he’s still alive and finally, after another couple of hours of lying awake in the endless darkness, you drift off to sleep and escape to the depths of your dreams, where nothing can hurt you. Not even him.

You’re shattered but it doesn't matter.
What matters is this man falling apart at the seams and you, Kyo. You can't stop it, Kyo. You can't stop him from breaking, no matter how hard you try.

He turns to you, his brown eyes wide and hopeful, his mouth curved in a small smile.

“Am I beautiful yet, Kyo?” He asks, looking at you, no, through you. He stares through you, his eyes glazed over.

You want to scream at him, tell him he isn’t fucking beautiful, tell him that he’s a broken, disgusting wreck of a human being and you wish you could just leave him. But you can’t, Kyo. You can’t. And it breaks your heart.

Besides, you couldn’t bear to see the expression that would flicker across his gentle features if you did. That pain, that sorrow, as he realises yet again that he just isn’t good enough.

So, you attempt to smile, which results in a crooked and unpleasant sneer and say “You were always beautiful, Daisuke.”