Jenny Was a Friend of Mine

Tell Me What You Wanna Know

I took her hand, gave it a gentle squeeze, and led her down the boardwalk. The sun was setting, painting the sky a rainbow of autumn colors, bubblegum pink, and like the variety pack of cotton candy we had earlier devoured.

"It's..so beautiful," she breathed.

"Yeah. Like you," I whispered.

She turned and looked at me with amber-flecked sea green eyes. "You think I'm beautiful?"

"Yes. Yes."

I kissed her hand and looked at her again. Her mouth was held slightly open, in surprise and what looked like happiness.

"I...I can't believe it..."

"Believe it. I care about you deeper than that ocean right there, and deeper than a friendship. Please say you feel the same way."

She tucked a piece of wavy blonde hair behind her ear. "I've wondered for a while now. About you. About me. About...if I felt anything for you."

"And do you?"

"Yes," she said with a slow blink and nod. "Yes I do."

She gently placed her hand behind my head and tilted hers closer to me. I moved my head closer to her until our lips brushed against each other. We didn't close our eyes; we kept them open and let the nakedness pour a flood of emotion through us. Her eyes gently closed after a few seconds of bliss and she deepened the kiss. Her lips, which matched the pink in the sky, tasted like strawberries and vanilla. I pulled her close and kissed her back.

I held her until we heard a group of voices somewhere behind us. She pushed away quickly and crossed her arms.

"I'm not ready for it to be out yet," she mumbled. Her body trembled and I touched her arm.

"Do you want to go home?" I asked her.

She nodded and I led the way to my car...


Jenny's face was so vivid and beautiful in my memory. You couldn't hurt a face like that, or touch it in any way besides a kiss, a caress, or a whisper.
Jenny was more than my friend. I would do anything to get her back.