Jenny Was a Friend of Mine

She Couldn't Scream While I Held Her Close

It's funny how I always thought that I never needed any other friends besides Jenny. I never thought we'd have a falling out. I only assumed that we'd be tight forever.

And obviously, I was wrong.

I went through the rest of the fall semester by myself. At lunch, it was just me. My sandwich, textbooks, and notes were the only thing that held my attention. Grades were improving, social life...not.

Jenny was so furious that she switched out of all her classes that would make us see each other. I managed to catch a quick glimpse of her when we passed each other on the way home, but never got a good look at her.

Christmas break felt empty without her. We always did our last-minute shopping together, baked cookies, and went out to eat on Christmas Eve. This year, I didn't even get a phone call from her.

But I did get one from her mom.

It was January 3 at 7:32 PM. I was channel surfing and listening to my mom cry and swear downstairs. My dad had a delayed flight, delaying our gift exchanges with him another two days. When my pocket vibrated, it surprised me--Jenny was the only one to ever call. The number was not familiar whatsoever, except the area code of course.

"Hello?" I answered with a puzzled tone.

"Taylor? This is Jenny's mom..."

Oh great. Now she had her mom involved.

"I was wondering if she was at your house." She sounded worried...I didn't like the sound of this.

"No ma'am, she's not. Why? Is something wrong?"

"Yes, I'm afraid there is." Her voice wavered, but she swallowed and began again. "There is. Jenny hasn't been home in two days, I've been calling everyone. No one has seen her. You were my last hope."

"Well...is there anything I can do?" I offered.

"Do you think you could go drive around town and see if you see her? I would go myself, but if she comes home and no one's here, she may leave again."

"Yes ma'am, I understand. Just let me get on some shoes."

I hung up, told my mom, and ran to my car. First stop was Andrew's house.

The downstairs lights were off. Bedroom lights were on upstairs, but I couldn't see in.

Next stops were our usual hang outs. No Jenny.

Then, the surrounding suburbs. This took almost two hours, but no Jenny.

It hurt to do so, but I had to call Jenny's mom to tell her. She still hadn't heard from her daughter.

I couldn't sleep at all that night. My mom went to bed and I sat up, thinking of all the places she might be. I planned to drive by Andrew's house until I saw him again.

The next day, I suggested to Jenny's mom to file a missing persons report. In all the fear, she had forgotten to call the police. I carried out my plan and drove by Andrew's house.

His car was in the driveway. He was too busy painting his fence to notice me creeping along.

I sped off, sweating, crying, and panting. She could be anywhere. But where? My arms longed to hold her, my legs longed to be around her, my lips craved her kiss. She was nowhere around, nowhere to be found.

That was the day I held on to to the love I lost with a steel grip.