Jenny Was a Friend of Mine

She Said She Loved Me, But She Had Somewhere to Go

Jenny sat cross-legged on my bed, slowly stroking lavender nail polish on her fingernails. The phone call to me she had made earlier was loud, excited, and so giggly that I couldn't understand her. Immediately, I invited her over so that she could explain what she was so excited about in person.

It was a girl's night in, complete with chick flicks, pillow fights, popcorn, chocolate-chip cookies, and homemade pizza. We were having so much fun, I forgot why she had come over in the first place.

"Jenny, you came over for a reason. Now tell me why you were so excited!" I begged.

"Well," she drawled. "Do you remember Andrew Long?"

"From your honor band concert thingy?"

"Yessss." Her right hand was drying and her left hand rested on her knee, unpolished.

"What about him?"

"He um, asked me out." A grin spread over her face and her eyes lit up. "Aren't you excited?!" she squealed.

"Yeah!" I faked. Had her nails been dry, the moment would have been filled with hugs and screams and pillow fights.

"We're going out on Monday. Since, you know, school's FINALLY out!" She wiggled her toes and chuckled.

"I know, finally! Where are you two going?" I asked, taking another cookie from the bowl.

"Probably dinner and movies or something. I'm not sure. But...oh my gosh, isn't he perfect? He's just so gorgeous, and so sweet, and so delicious, and so..so...perfect!" she cried, throwing herself back on the bed.

"Haha, I bet."

We were quiet after that. I could feel the distance slowly growing between us. I had to say something, now or never.

"J-"

"Oh my gosh, could you help me pick out what I'm gonna wear? Could I come by here Monday afternoon? No, you come to my house!"

"Okay, okay," I agreed.

"Now. Stop acting all weird and put on some 30H!3!" she playfully demanded.

While I changed out the CDs, the distance grew even more. She was too excited for me to bring her down. The longer I waited, the longer the distance.

"I love you, mmkay?" she murmured while the CD clicked to the first song.

"Yeah. I love you too."

One more lie, another mile further.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you're loving it so far =]