Jenny Was a Friend of Mine

I Just Can't Take This

Monday, the dreaded day, finally came around. I got in my car, stepped on the brake, and shifted into reverse. With anger, I stepped on the gas and flew out of my driveway. The closer I got there, the more I wanted to turn around and leave her. My conscience had forbidden me the night before when the thought had first come to mind.

Jenny met me in her driveway the very second I arrived.

"Come quick! He's picking me up in an hour!"

"Sorry."

I ran upstairs with her and into her bedroom. About four different outfits lay on her bed, obviously her choices. I studied the outfits, trying to be helpful to her.

"I pick the yellow sundress," I announced, lightly rubbing the soft, thin fabric.

"But do you think it's too dressy?"

"No. It's a sundress. It's cotton. It's comfy."

"Too comfy?" she whined.

"No. Just put it on."

I averted my gaze to her new artwork on the wall while she dressed. Not much had changed, but her art had always been so intricate and intriguing.

"Okay, now I need help with my hair! I have no idea what to do with it!"

She jogged to the bathroom and examined her reflection.

"Why not curl it? Make some waves," I suggested.

"But what if he likes straight hair?"

"Then he'll get over it. Relax," I assured her while I switched on her curling iron.

Her makeup bag sat beside the curling iron and I unzipped it.

"You'll wear this, this, this, this, and this," I instructed her. Powder, blush, mascara, golden-brown eyeshadow, and pink lip gloss were placed on her counter while she took deep breaths. She was so nervous, it was hard not to laugh in her face.

Thirty minutes later, she was ready to go. Her date arrived soon after, whisking her far away from me. I worried, I prayed, I cried for her. Something didn't feel right, just letting her run from me.

I drove home in the dark, crying and loudly singing to a mix CD with my favorite songs by The Killers. My throat was sore and my voice hoarse when I got home. Love was never anything I had felt before, but I knew I was falling into its trap.

My reflection showed me a sad, heartbroken girl that had just gotten her heart shattered. I wanted to shatter the mirror, but didn't have the energy to break it or clean up the pieces. I didn't have the energy to try to get the point across to Jenny. I only had the energy to take a shower and crawl into bed.

The water ran full blast on hot until it felt that icicles were clinging to my skin. My teeth didn't chatter, my body didn't shiver. I wanted to feel again. I tried to feel with my tears, but they only made me fall asleep. If this was love, I wanted out.