Jenny Was a Friend of Mine

We Had a Fight on the Promenade Out in the Rain

Senior year had crept upon me like the plague. Four AP classes and an extra honors course kept me busy and my mind off Jenny. She was in none of my classes, even though we had the same courses. It was the second Saturday of the school year and I was working away on my laptop, trying to complete my first essay of the year. She called. I thought my eyes were messed up when I read the caller ID on my cell phone.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Taylor! Hey! Are you busy?"

I stared at my half-finished essay that was due on Wednesday. "No, not too busy."

"Sweet. Well I was thinking that maybe we should spend the afternoon together. Girl's day out. Andrew's visiting some family."

"Okay, what did you have in mind?"

"We could meet up for lunch, maybe get a manicure, and get our hair done," she suggested.

"Sounds...good," I mumbled. The essay wouldn't stop watching me.

"Okay. Meet me at Zoe's."

We hung up and I turned my laptop off. A sigh breezed from my lips. That essay was going to be on my mind all day, but when was the next chance I would get to hang out with Jenny?

Soon, I was sitting across from Jenny. She looked happy, but wore a collared sundress with elbow-length sleeves. I blew it off as just a coincidental wardrobe choice. Maybe I shouldn't have. A mother with three toddlers and a baby on her arm was trying to balance two drinks in hand while she walked past us. The one closer to our table tipped over and spilled on the sleeve of Jenny's dress.

"I am so sorry!" the woman cried.

"It's fine, it's fine," Jenny said patiently. She tentatively lifted the edge and wiped her arm with a napkin. My eyes peered under to check.

And I saw. Scratches, bruises, finger-shaped welts. I studied in horror as she wiped off her sleeve and tried to convince the woman that she was fine. My mind was numb with anger and fury and...why could he do this? I impatiently waited for the woman to go on with her children to the Toys R Us next door.

"Jenny." I said through my teeth. "I saw."

"Saw what?"

"Under your sleeve."

"What are you talking about?" she cried.

"Every time he's hurt you."

She closed her mouth, then opened it up again. "He loves me. He's getting better. These are old. From when he first did this to me."

"Yeah."

I watched her finish her sandwich. It was awkward now. When she finished, I took her hand and led her to the car.

The manicure conversations were stiff, too polite, and forced. I prayed for change at the hair salon. I definitely got what I asked for.

"I want you to cut into a bob, kind of right under my chin. Layer it, and I want sideswept bangs," she explained to the stylist.

"Jenny! Your hair! Your beautiful hair!"

"I know," she said, shifting in her seat. "It's time for a change. It's senior year," she continued with a shrug.

While my bangs were layered and I got new razored layers, Jenny's hair fell inch by inch to the floor. I stared in shock as she was transformed into a new, even more beautiful butterfly.

"Wow..." I breathed. We stood at the counter paying for our new looks. "You look...amazing."

"Thank you. So do you," she said with a smile.

When we were in the car, I touched her new hair for the first time. It was so soft...it took me back to our special moments. I kissed her on the lips again and let the smooth love pour back into me. She kissed back, then pulled away.

"I have Andrew."

"Right."

I didn't say another word, just took her home. Her house was barely lit, but she got opened her door to get out anyway.

"It's okay," she whispered. "I love you. I still do. But I need Andrew now. More than I need you."

My heart shattered and I watched her go, waiting till she was inside before I broke into painful sobs. Why was I always watching her go?

Come back to me Jenny. Come back.