Sharpest Lives

You're not as beefy as the crisps

It took me longer than usual to get River settled in the back room, I guess it was because the atmosphere was a lot different today and he wasn’t used to it being this way. And it didn't help with Jessi randomly yelling out at people, she must be having a bad day. But finally, after about twenty minutes, he was finally settled and quite comfy in the room. As I went to leave I turned back to check on River making sure he wasn't following me, like the past couple of times I had tried to leave, only to find him staring at the fish swimming around in the large aquarium sat below the open window.

"Don't you even think about that River" I sighed as he went to press his nose against the glass.

River's ears perked up as he sat down on his back paws, his tail wagging frantically behind him as he moved his head from side to side watching the fish swim around. I let out a small laugh as I left the room and headed to my locker pulling it open, I took out my name badge before throwing my valuables and jacket in, I slammed the door shut and clipped the name badge to one of the hooks in my jeans.
As I was making my way to the front of the shop I was stopped in my tracks by none other than, Tom, the worst thing that could ever happen to this place. He was a total perv and thought he was all it because he was the manager.
"You're late Galeotti, this is your final warning, pick up the slack or you're out" He snapped trying to stare me down

"Look McCoy, you're not as beefy as the crisps, you don't scare me" I smirked going to walk past him but he just moved back in front of me

"I mean it, if you're late again tomorrow I'm going to drop you and get someone else"

"Oh but then you wouldn't be able to check out my rack or ass when you think I'm not looking'" I sighed titling my head.

I had to suppress my laughter as a deep blush spread across his cheeks, he'd been rumbled. I shook my head before pushing past him and entering the main area of the store.
"Oi, 'Otti, re-stack this" Ryan called out to me from the other side of the room.

I groaned to myself and dragged my feet along the floor as I slowly made my way towards him, after a few seconds I was stood beside him.

"There's not much to do, just them two boxes" he smiled pointing to the two, pretty large boxes, that sat on the other side of him.

"Not much, have you seen the size of them?" I questioned, my voice rising at the end slightly

"Just do it" he scowled before stalking of towards Jessi.

Groaning to myself, seems like I've done a fair bit of that today, I reluctantly pulled the boxes closer to me and knelt on the floor so I could start on the bottom shelf and work my way up. After five minutes I was already bored of the job I'd been given and was ready for taking an hour break when unfortunately or fortunately, can't quite make my mind up yet, Patrick came over, name tag and everything.

"Need any help?"

"What you doing here?" I asked completely ignoring his question

"Working"

"I thought you had the day off as well" I mumbled getting to my feet

"I did, bit I thought I'd come help out"

"Well then re-stack this" I sighed pointing from the boxes to the shelves we were stood in front of.

"Only if you help"

I groaned again before picking up some of the items from the top box, forcefully shoving them into place, Patrick chuckled beside me as he too began to place things on the shelves although he was doing it way slower and calmer then I was.

"Taking an hour break" Jessi's voice disrupted the silence that Patrick and I had been working in

"Me too" Ryan's voice sang.
I turned my head slightly and raised my eyebrows at Jessi but she simply smiled and turned to walk off.

"No funky business" Patrick called out.

I muffled my laughter as Jessi half turned giving him the bird before stalking out of the door.
"Wonder what they're going to get up to" Patrick mumbled before turning back to the shelves

"Jessi has standards you know" I snapped as I too turned to face the shelves before
realising no one was behind the counter. I threw the objects I was holding back into the box before pushing my way through the crowd ignoring Patrick as he called out to me.

I don't know what time it was to be precise but what I do know is that the shop was now closing up and Patrick, Tom, River and I were the only ones left. Faith had to leave a while ago, something to do with a plumber or something and Jessi and Ryan had disappeared around ten minutes ago but I forgot what their reason for leaving so early, together again, was.
I was putting the cash from today in the safe when something cold and wet attacked my cheek, just like this morning.
"River" I sighed

"You're meant to be in the other room, if Tom sees you out here, he'll go all girly and throw a tantrum" I mumbled closing the safe door before turning the dial.
I got to my feet and looked down at River who was just sat there staring at me, well of course he wasn't going to go back to the other room, for one he doesn't pay any attention to you and two, he doesn't speak human unless it involves walkies, food and some other random one word sentences.

"Well come on then, home time" I smiled making sure my voice sounded a little bit enthusiastic for River.

I made my way down the corridor towards the lockers and removed my stuff before putting my name tag in, closing the door I turned and headed into the room River had been in most of the day. I groaned to myself, for the hundredth time that day, as I took in the damage that River had caused, thankfully there wasn't that much of it and the fish where still there. I grabbed River's leash and lead him out of the room and back into the main area where Patrick was stood waiting by the door.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do" Tom's voice rang through my head

"Well in that case, I best had leave the condoms and underwear at home then shouldn't I?" I mumbled as I turned to look up at him.

"Just keep in mind, I don't like my employees dating"

"Yeah 'cause then you'd be restricted on the pervin'" I snapped before stalking of to join Patrick at the door.

Patrick and I walked in silence with River bounding along beside us, neither of us talked and neither of us really knew where we were going, to be quite truthful with you I was ready for smacking him one and telling him to stop following me when I remembered I promised to go for coffee, well I hadn't fully promised but oh well. I turned down a side alley and led him back towards the music store before turning again and leading him to a small quite cafe I'd found a while back when I got drunk and walked off on the guys.

"Is this place new?" Patrick wondered as we sat down at one of the outside tables

"No, it's been here for quite a while actually" I mumbled pulling River onto my lap

"Oh right, never seen it before, anyway, what was wrong with you before?"

"Aren't you going to ask how I found it? And nothing really, just being me"

"I'd rather not know how you stumbled across this place, and that's not you being you"

"And who cares" I snapped, "I'll go order for us, what do you want?"

"Erm, just a coffee"

"Out to eat?"

"No"

"Alright then, keep an eye on River please"

I dissapeared into the shop breathing in the fragrance of fresh coffee and cakes. It was a nice place, set away from the busy streets, it was only small but it was so warm and inviting, I couldn't help but feel happy and let a smile spread across my face. I approached the small till and smiled down at the old woman who smiled back.

"What can I get you dear?"

"Could I have two coffees, a glass of warm milk, and erm three blueberry muffins?"

"Sure, I'll bring them out to you"

"Thanks, oh and do you have any part or full time jobs?"

The old woman turned back to face me and I could have sworn tears where forming.
"Yes, we've just got an opening, its full time, would you like it?"

"Could I get back to you on that one?"

"Of course" she smiled before walking off,