In The Van With Angels

Chapter 6

It was hard to get Scarlet and Sapphire away from the hospital. The only time they left was when they had to sleep, but more often than not, one could be found in either Rivers' or Jade's room, sleeping on the chair.
Jade hadn't spoken to either of them, too absorbed in her own thoughts.
Her parents hadn’t yet visited her, though they knew she was here.
Sapphire, as she sat next to Jade's bed, wondered briefly if they knew.
Jade opened her eyes, and Sapphire smiled at her. "Hey. How you feeling?"
"Same as yesterday." Jade replied. "Why am I still here?"
"The doctors want to keep an eye on you for a few days, that's all." She glanced around. "Clem's downstairs, she was going to grab a coffee for me and Scarlet."
"Where is Scar?"
"With Rivers."
"How's he doing?"
"Not too good. Still hasn't woken up."
Jade bit her lip, again realising how bad her timing was. Since the other night (three nights ago now) she had gone over again and again how much she must be putting her friends through. At least with Rivers there was no blame, she had done this willingly.
"Jade, are you alright?" Sapphire had spotted the tears in her eyes, seen her sniff.
"Sapphire i…I'm so sorry."
"What for?" She smiled at her friend.
"I…." She shook her head. "I'm sorry for this. For you finding me." She sighed. "For putting you guys through this."
"Jade," Sapphire leaned forward. "I should have listened to you, and I'm sorry for not giving you the time you deserved. I promise, if you ever need me again…" She took a deep breath, as tears threatened to overwhelm her. "I'll be there for you, OK?"
Jade nodded and, as both girls let tears fall, they hugged, crying into each other's shoulders.

"How's he doing?"
Scarlet lifted her head, rubbing her eyes. She looked at the doorway where Jimmy stood, leaning against the frame with his arms across his chest. Scarlet looked at her watch, realising she must have dozed off.
"He'll…" She looked at Rivers, laying there, she assumed he was unaware of their presence. "Be OK, that's what the doctors said anyway." She leaned back, her hand on her forehead. "Mel's been in and out constantly…." She closed her eyes.
"You need to go home."
"I will when Mel gets here." She muttered. "Someone should be here for him, in case he does wake up."
"What about his brother?"
"Joe?" She scoffed. "He wouldn't come visit him. He's properly drugged up at home."
Jimmy moved over to her, hugging her. "Go home Scar, get some sleep. I'll stay here with him."

Rivers woke up that night, and two days later, Scarlet drove the Van to the hospital to pick both her friends up. She explained to Jade that her father wanted to see her at the College, and she dropped her off their, asking if she wanted them to wait.
"Nah, it's OK. You guys get going."
They nodded, before Jade walked towards the College, even now she noticed people looking, staring, whispering.
She kept walking though, a feeling of dread in her stomach as she approached the office her father had asked to meet her in.
As soon as she walked in, she knew it was bad. Her father looked up at her, trying to smile, but he failed, and again Jade felt that sickening dread. She looked at the professor behind the desk, the head of the college, who gazed at her with steel, hard eyes.
"I'm sorry Jade," He began, and Jade felt herself fall into the chair opposite him. "We're going to have to let you go."
"What?" She asked. "Why?"
He held up a DVD. "This seems to have gotten around campus, and though we do not directly oppose relationships between support staff and students…" He paused. "We can not have it publicly broadcast."
"I…I can't believe this…what about Lucy? She filmed it!"
"Her parents," Here he smiled. "Have donated a large amount of money…"
"Fine!" She screamed, standing up. "Fine, you and this stupid college can get fucked!" She turned, storming out of the office.
She heard her father behind her. "Jade!"
"Fuck off dad." She yelled over her shoulder, still walking.
"That's no way to talk to your father!"
She stopped walking, spinning around to face him. "I've been in hospital for almost a fucking week, and not once do you or mum come visit me! You don't even fucking care, so why should I watch my mouth around you?"
"I…." He stared at his feet, and she felt glad at how ashamed he looked. "Why didn't you tell us Jade?"
"Tell you what?" She asked, feeling a sudden craving to grab a bottle of Vodka and down it. "Tell you I starred in a porn video? Or that I like to fuck girls?" He was stunned into silence, staring at her. "Well then, I'll answer both. I didn't tell you about the video because I didn't know until last week, and then I tried to kill myself. Bet mum wasn't happy when I lived." Her mouth curled into a grotesque grin. "And as for the me being gay thing…none of my friends knew until they found out about the video, and I didn't tell you and mum because, well, because I knew you'd act like this."
She turned and stormed off, without waiting for a reply.

Melody and Corey were both at the flat when they got there, and immediately Melody started to fuss over Rivers.
"Hey Scar." Sapphire smiled at her. "You want a drink?"
"Nah, it's Ok." She shook her head. "I'm going to get some rest." She disappeared into her bedroom, locking herself away. She didn't want to be in there with the couples.
Not long after Rivers had arrived at the flat, there was a knock on the door, and when Sapphire opened it, Jade stood there, a look of pure anger on her face, and a hold all bag in her hand.
"Jade? What's wrong?"
Clem was standing behind her, and they both moved into the room, Clem shaking her head as she looked at Jade.
"You explain." Jade muttered. "Hang on, where's Scar?"
"In her bedroom."
"K." Jade dumped her bag. "I need to talk to her…Clem, you explain to them why I'm here."
Clem nodded, as Jade knocked on Scarlet's bedroom door. "Basically, she's been fired." Clem fell back into an armchair, watching as both Rivers and Sapphire's faces froze in shock. "The video found it's way to the Collage teachers. Lucy hasn't been kicked out, her parents paid the school not to. Then Jade had a fight with her dad, went home and grabbed her stuff. She turned up at my house in tears."
"Jesus." Sapphire shook her head. "Looks like we'll have to clear the spare room out."
Rivers nodded, looking at the floor. "It was Lucy who…" He stopped, before sinking onto the coach. Melody looked at him, an eyebrow raised.
"Lucy who what?"
"Nothing." He shook his head. "Never mind. Forget I said anything."

"I can’t believe it." Scarlet was staring out the window, her eyes narrowed as she looked at the building opposite. "I seriously can not fucking believe this."
"I know." Jade was stretched out on Scarlet's bed, staring at the ceiling. "I'm sorry Scar…I really am…"
"What for?" Scarlet glanced at her, an eyebrow raised.
"I was going to give you guys some money towards the rent...i can't though. Not now."
"Jade, don't worry about that." Scarlet moved over to the bed, sitting down next to Jade. "That's the last thing on my mind at the moment."
The door opened, and Sapphire looked at her friends, a small smile on her lips. "Hey, Melody just asked if we want to play a gig with The Lamberts on Friday."

And so, here they were.
Bruised. Broken. Beaten.
But alive.
Just.
Scarlet tilted her head back, drinking her red bull as Jade spoke to the audience.
"This song," She spoke softly. "Was written especially for this gig, and especially for all those people who fucked us over. This is for all of you who have ever lost your job, been cheated on, or have maybe ended up in hospital defending your friends." She smiled at Rivers, whose scars and stitches were still evident from his last fight with Nick. "This is Stitches and Scars."
They sang their hearts out, every ounce of energy they processed went into that last song, and they could see Clem singing along with them. It was by far their best song, even if they had put it together in the last few days.
They left the stage feeling tired, worn out but happy. They leaned on the bar, ordered drink after drink, and Rivers watched, with pride, as Melody hypnotised the crowd.
"Guys," Clem approached them. "Listen…I just saw…oh god," She was grinning, and Scarlet looked at her. It was obviously nothing bad, as Clem seemed so happy. "Guys, Mike and Stu are here."
"Who?" Rivers and Jade both asked, but Scarlet and Sapphire both seemed shocked – in a good way.
"Why are they here?" They asked, looking at each other.
"No idea!" Clem grinned, as Rivers and Jade both looked at the others, feeling very very confused.

They were fuelled with adrenaline as they reached the flat – and alcohol.
Scarlet was singing Stitches & Scars as she drank from a bottle of Vodka, Rivers was spinning around the flat, as if he were still on stage. Sapphire pulled Corey towards her bedroom, Jade collapsed on the sofa, and Clem watched it all with amusement. Melody shook her head, the only sober one there, before she said her goodbyes and disappeared out the door, having done her job and seen them safely home.
They had reason to celebrate. They had just performed their best gig in a long time, and Scarlet felt they had proved they weren't past their prime at the ages of 20 – 23.
Eventually, they all fell asleep. Rivers sleeping on Jade's sofa in the spare room, as Jade had claimed the sofa in the living room. Clem made herself a makeshift bed on the floor using blankets, cushions and pillows. Scarlet passed out in her own bed, and Sapphire, content and happy, fell asleep in Corey's arms.
Needless to say, when they woke the following morning, the majority of them had hangovers, and the flat was very crowded.
Still, somehow they managed to make themselves something resembling breakfast. They sat in the kitchen, Scarlet taking a seat on the counter top, Sapphire and Corey sitting at the table with Clem and Jade, whilst Rivers leaned against the fridge.
Scarlet rubbed her head, her eyes closed as she drank her coffee slowly.
"Anyone else have a splitting headache?" She asked, and was answered by a few laughs.
"Me." Rivers replied, digging in the cupboard for some pills. He took two, before chucking the pack to Scarlet.
"Cheers." She muttered, taking the pills, passing them to the table, before lighting a cigarette.
They talked for a while, until there was a knock at the door. Before they had time to answer it, Melody had waltzed in, a smile planted on her face.
"Good morning!" She sang, twirling around.
"Jesus." Rivers muttered, although it was obvious he was glad to see her. "I forgot I gave you a key. Didn't know you were a morning person."
"I'm not!" She dumped her handbag on the counter, looking over her shoulder at the others. "Not usually. But I have some very good news this morning." She practically skipped over to Rivers, kissing his cheek. "And how you are darling?"
"You are in a good mood." He looked at her, surprised. "Have you ever called me darling before?"
Jade sat with her head on the table, her arms crossed on it, burying her eyes away from the light that hurt so much. Clem leaned back, watching Melody with interest, while Sapphire tried to escape from her headache by leaning on Corey's shoulder.
"Listen, you guys," Melody leapt up onto the counter, smiling as she made herself comfortable and ran a hand through River's hair, which, this morning, he had not yet gelled up. "You should have your hair down more often," She muttered absently.
"You were going to tell us something?" Scarlet asked, and Mel looked up with a grin.
"Oh, yeah." She was practically shaking with excitement as she gazed around the room. "The Lamberts are going on tour!"
"Oh my god," Scarlet squealed, leaping off the counter. "Mel that's awesome! Who with?" However, she had a pretty good idea who, from what Clem had told her the previous night.
"You guys are going to be so jealous." She breathed out slowly, her eyes locking on Clem's. "Lostprophets." Clem just shook her head. She looked at Sapphire. "My Chemical Romance." Sapphire squealed, and Scarlet bit her lip down, hard. "Good Charlotte." She locked eyes on Jade. "Bleeding Through."
"What the hell are they doing touring with them?" Jade asked, her mouth open.
"It's a massive tour, they're only the ones I could remember." Melody was laughing. "All over the UK guys! This is huge!"
"Congratulations." Scarlet hugged her friend tightly. "I'm so happy for you guys!"
"Thanks." She turned to Rivers. "Babe?"
"Hm?" He'd been staring down at the counter between his legs, and now he looked up, forcing himself to smile. "Oh, oh yeah, congratulations."
"Rivers? What's wrong?" She was looking at him, at his narrowed eyes, his frown.
"Nothing. I'm happy for you."
"You don't look it."
"No, I am." He forced himself to smile again. "Really."
Melody sighed, before turning to the others.
"A toast," Scarlet dug in the cupboard, digging out some shot glasses and a bottle of Vodka.
"Scar, it's 11 in the morning." Jade moaned, her eyes half closed.
"This is something to celebrate though." She grinned as she filled the shot glasses and handed them out.
"To The Lamberts!" Scarlet cried, the sound echoing around the room.
"And to the Fallen Angels!" Melody laughed, a knowing, mischievous look in her eyes as she squeezed Rivers' hand and all of them drank their shots in celebration of the Lambert's success, not knowing that in turn, Melody was drinking to them.

They spent the day hanging out, playing on the Playstation 2. Corey left them just after the Vodka shots, and Sapphire lay stretched out on the floor, staring at the TV as Scarlet battled Jade on Tony Hawk.
The phone rang.
"I'll get it!" Scarlet cried, throwing her control to Rivers who immediately caught it and started to kick Jade's ass.
"Hello?" She looked over her shoulder to see Melody, watching her with a glint in her eyes.
"Hey, is that one of the Fallen Angels?" An unfamiliar Welsh accent sounded on the phone, and quickly Scarlet searched through her brain, going through all the guys she knew from the Valleys, before realising there were way too many of them to count. They played a lot of gigs up there.
"Scarlet speaking." She leaned against the wall, her eyes focusing on the TV and smiling as her character performed complicated tricks, thanks to Rivers.
"Oh cool. This is Stu Richardson…"
"Oh my god." Her jaw dropped, Mel's grin widened and Rivers immediately pressed pause, turning to look at Scarlet.
"What's wrong?" Jade asked, but Scarlet simply shook her head, putting a finger to her lips.
Stu laughed on the other end. "Listen, I just want to offer you a place on the tour we're on, it starts next month and runs through until early January. I just wanted to know if you'd be interested?"
"I just need to ask the others." She replied, trying her best to sound calm. She covered the mouthpiece, and turned to the others. "Would you guys be interested on going on tour with the Lostprophets?"
"Oh say yes!" Clem squealed, looking at the others.
"Rivers?" Scarlet looked at the bassist, who grinned at Melody.
"Hell yeah!"
"Sapphire?"
"Yes Scar, yes!"
"Jade?"
"Well, I don't know…" The others looked at her, surprised. She smiled at them all. "Why not."