Dead End Kids

Part One

Druscilla was scribbling in her notebook with a pink pen that she had found in the hallway. She had her legs crossed and one of her feet was bouncing hyperactively in the air. The girl beside her was glaring openly, but she didn’t notice. You fucking lied?! I put my entire being out there for you and you don't even have the balls to tell me the truth, just chickenshit your—

“Dru? Will you please join the rest of the class?”

“Wha’?” The girl looked up, blinking.

“Page 73, dumbass.” Ryan said from behind her.

“Language, Ryan.” Mrs. Ware said, refraining from rolling her eyes. “Page 73, Druscilla.”

“Sorry.” The girl closed her notebook, pulling out her accounting workbook and opening it to the specified page. She hated accounting. She was only taking it because Ryan was and she hadn’t found anything to take third period. Ryan was only taking accounting because Spencer had told him to. Spencer, however, was sitting in Biology and probably laughing at them.

“Quit writing about My Chem fucking.” Ryan whispered.

“Oh, fuck you.” Druscilla said, a little too loud. She looked at their teacher and turned back to her workbook, making a face. “Oops.”

“Nice, Dru.”

“Ryan, Druscilla. Is there something so important that you need to interrupt my class to discuss it?”

“No, Mrs. Ware.” they said simultaneously.

* * *

Ryan, Spencer, and Druscilla were sitting on one of the tables outside during lunch, sharing a box of fruit roll-ups and drinking Mountain Dew. “You guys want to crash at my house tomorrow night?” the girl asked. “Mom and Jeff have a date, so we’ll have it to ourselves until one or something.”

“Yeah, sure.” Spencer said as Ryan nodded. “Whose turn is it to bring the booze?”

“Mine.” Druscilla said. “I had a girl from work pick up some stuff. It’s hidden under my bed.” She grinned and took a bit of her strawberry fruit roll-up. “And Jeff just bought the new season of South Park.”

“Nice.” Ryan said, reaching out for Druscilla’s soda. He had finished his about five minutes into lunch, as per usual. He just grinned when she made a pouting face. “You don’t need this. You need to maintain your figure.”

“Fuck you, Ross.” she said, now glaring. Her face perked up, however, when she saw a raven-haired girl come out of the school with a brunette boy in tow. “Be right back.” Druscilla said, grabbing her messenger bag. “Liz!” she called. “Hey, Liz!”

The girl turned around, grinning. “Hey. What’s up?”

“I got your movie.” Dru said, reaching into her bag and pulling out a battered Nightmare Before Christmas DVD case. “Hey, Bren.” she said, smiling at the boy standing next to her friend. He had his hands buried in his jacket pockets and was looking awkward and out of place, like he normally did.

“Hey.” he said, kicking at the ground. His eyes scanned the area, resting on the table Druscilla had vacated. A moment too long before they continued to wander the area, never staying on a person or a place too long, not wanting to offend and not wanting to commit to looking at anything particular.

“Thanks.” Liz said, noticing her friend’s uncomfortable stance. “I’ll see you in Art, Dru.”

“’Kay. See you. Bye, Bren.” The older girl gave a wave as she walked back to Spencer and Ryan.

“She’s hot.” Ryan said when Dru got back to the table.

“She’s too young for you, perv.” the girl said, sticking her tongue out. “She’s a sophomore.”

“How’s that too young?” Spencer asked.

“Ryan’s going to college next year.” Dru said, rolling her eyes. “That’s illegal.”

“Only if he fucks her.”

“Yeah, like he wouldn’t not fuck her.”

“Guys, I’m right here.” Ryan said, snapping his fingers. “And I just said she was hot. I didn’t say I wanted to marry her.” He tossed a fruit roll-up at Dru. “Last strawberry. And you’re one to talk about illegal. How old’s Jon again?”

The girl blushed.

Spencer and Ryan both snickered.

* * *

Art was after lunch. It was advanced study which meant the class worked on independent projects without much real guidance from the teacher or a curriculum. Liz and Dru sat as close to the door as they could. The younger girl was working on a photography collage and Dru was slacking off, working on the story she had been in Accounting class.

He grabs me by the back of my head and pulls me so my mouth comes crashing down on his. Nothing like the soft, tender kiss he gave me six months ago. This is dark and dirty and even scary, but when I feel his tongue pressing against my teeth, I relent. I owe him this much.

“More Frank and Gerard?” Liz asked, looking up from her collage. A few months ago Dru had let slip what she wrote and Liz had ecstatically grabbed her arm, bouncing as she admitted to writing the same thing: slash fan fiction. Oddly enough, they both wrote about the same bands.

“Waycest.” Dru said, grinning.

“Ooh.” Liz’s eyes lit up. “Send me the link when you post it.”

“All right.” the older girl said, still smiling. She went back to her notebook and Liz went back to her collage, both working in silence with a bit of small talk between them until about five minutes before the end of class.

“So, have you written anything new?” Dru asked, closing her notebook. She had finished story, titled, and dated it. There were only five minutes left in the period and Liz was cleaning up.

“I started a new Frank and Gerard story.” Liz said. “I’ve only got a few paragraphs though.”

“Send me the link when you post it.” Dru said, echoing Liz’s words from earlier. They said it to each other a lot.

“Okay.” Liz said, smiling.

Their interaction outside school was mainly through MSN conversations and message boards. Dru was usually hanging out with Spencer and Ryan while Liz and Brendon’s hormones kept them glued together.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the period. “I’ll send you the link when I post it tonight.” Dru said. “Probably around ten. I’m going shopping with Ryan and Spence after work.”

“Okay. See you tomorrow.” Liz said, waving as Dru walked down the hallway toward Mrs. Benson’s room where Spencer and Ryan were waiting for her in Home Ec class.