The New Kid in Class

Chapter 2

Ryan's POV

The room remained silent as 'the new kid' made the long and awkward journey down the aisle between desks to the back of the room - where my desk was. He quickly sat down in the desk beside me, hoping to end the awkward silence as everyone watched him walk to the back of the classroom quicker. Suprisingly, the class went on as if nothing had happened; well, for the most part.

Once we were given seat work to do, the class started with its normal chatter, everyone chatting relatively quietly, only to be shushed by the teacher when we got too loud.
As I was writing on the assignment we were given, the new guy turned to me and smiled. I looked up at him, wondering what he wanted.

"Hi. I'm Brendon," he smiled, holding his hand out for me to shake. I looked down at it awkwardly, not making any effort to shake it.

"Ryan..." I said, looking over him. He was wearing a bright blue t-shirt and blue jeans, as well as Vans on his feet. He also wore glasses, which made him look kind of...well, nerdy, I must admit. But otherwise, he looked relatively normal, compared to the rest of the people at my school anyway.

Me? Well... I'm normal, I guess. Aside from the fact that I failed a grade. Yea, that's right, I'm in grade 12, and I'm 18, turning 19 in August this year. I failed last year, which really sucks. But then again, it's kind of cool, being older than everyone else, I mean. It's kind of hard to make friends now, or atleast I think so. Everyone's younger than me, and I find it easier when they're my age for some reason.

Most people think I'm weird, and well... guys think I'm too feminine. I wear eyeliner, so what? Lots of guys do it. It's called guyliner, jeez.

And now, this new guy, well, 'Brendon', is talking to me, "So...What's up?" he says, obviously trying to break the ice. I roll my eyes, looking up from the sheet once again to reply.

"Trying to do this math sheet we're supposed to do..." his smile dropped.

"Oh. Okay then..." he turned away from me, and looked down to his sheet, "Oh, this...This is easy." I looked over at him, writing away, obviously knowing what he was doing. I looked back to my own sheet, a bunch of erased numbers, incorrect calculations, and pretty much just a big mess. Overall, I don't really get math, which is why I failed in the first place.

About five minutes later, the class was still chatting away, and my sheet was about a quarter completed. Brendon set his pencil down and leaned back in his chair.

"Wha... Are you done already?" I said, suprised. He nods, relaxing in his seat. I guess we're not all so great with math - I see that he is.