The New Kid in Class

Chapter 3

Ryan's POV

The bell rings. Thank god. I have lunch next; I can't wait to get out of this stuffy classroom. Unfortunately, Mr. Sanderson stops me on my way out.

"Ryan... Can I talk to you for a minute?" I stop just in front of the door, and step back inside, letting everyone else pass by. Brendon leaves as well.

"Uh... Yes?" I say quietly, unsure of what he wants.

"Ryan... Lately your mark has been... well... not the best. Are you having trouble with the math I've been teaching?" the question shocks me, as I actually thought I'd been doing quite well in his class.

"Uh... I didn't think so, but I guess I am..."

"I suggest you get some help... a tutor, maybe?" am I really that bad? I nod, even though I don't think I really need it, "Alright then. I hope to see some improvement in your mark sometime soon." he smiles as I leave the room - confused.

Suprisingly, Brendon was standing outside the door the whole time, waiting for me, "Why are you still here?" I ask, a little less politely than I should've.

"I thought I'd wait for you. I have lunch right now, anyway. It's not like I'll be late for any classes."

"Right... I have lunch too."

"Oh. Good. Atleast I'll have someone to eat with on my first day." this shocks me. I never said I was his friend. Did I? I never said I'd stick with him all day. Did I? No. "Oh, and I overheard your conversation with the teacher."

"Wha? Mr. Sanderson?" he nods.

"Yea, I uh... thought maybe I could tutor you," come to think of it, he was really good in math... Or seemed to be.

"Um...I don't really think I need help..."

"Apparently you do," he cut me off. We were now at the cafeteria door. Thankfully, it ends the conversation.