The New Kid in Class

Don't call me, I'll call you.

Ryan's POV

I get into the driver's side of the car, as Nathalie walks around to the passenger side. I always drive her home after school, because she lives nearby. Just in case you haven't guessed, she's my girlfriend. Yea, yea, a loser like me has a girlfriend.

As I start the car, she turns the radio on. She flips through stations for a while, until she finally finds a song she likes. I don't love you, like I did, yesterday. Ugh. I hate this song. It just reminds me of how I've been feeling lately, and I don't need it. I take one hand off the steering wheel for a second, turning the radio off.

"Hey, I was listening to that," she turns it back on without asking.

"Stop, I don't like it," I turn it back off.

"Just leave it, we're almost there," she turns it back on, leaving her hand over the button to keep me from touching it.

"Fuck, Nathalie, just deal with it," I get more mad than I should, and put my attention to her, attempting to pull her hand away from the on/off button.

"Ryan!" she yells, and I realize my attention is no longer on the road. I slam the brakes on as I almost run into a pedestrian.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I keep the car still, still shaken from the fact that I almost ran into someone; also that I completely overreacted.

"I...I don't know. I just don't want to hear that song. Not right now."

"What? Why? What's wrong with it?" she asks. I start the car again, as we are just short of pulling into her driveway.

I park in her driveway, and just before she goes to open the door, I lock it. She looks over at me, wondering what the heck I'm doing. I wonder myself.

"Nathalie, we need to talk," why the hell did I go and say that? She sits back in her seat, staring at me, wondering what I could possibly have to talk to her about. She's obviously waiting for me to talk. "I..um... First off, I'm sorry."

"For what?" she says cautiously, as though she already knows what I'm going to say.

"Nat, I just...Well, lately I haven't felt...the same... I just don't know," she doesn't say anything. She just sits there, a surprised look on her face.

"...Oh. I'll um... See you around. Or not," she unlocks her own door, and steps out, walking quickly to her front door.

I let out a sigh, realizing that I technically just broke up with my girlfriend. I decide there's no real reason for me to be sitting in her driveway, and I start to back out.