Status: Active

Book Half Unread

Finding Denny

It felt surreal moving back into my dorm. I had so much fun with the guys back home that I dreaded coming back to school. The only thing I was mildly excited about was redecorating my bedroom and the living area. My roommate, though inspired to become an interior decorator, claimed she liked my style better than her own. I think it's bull though; she just doesn't want to spend money to feel comfortable in our semi-prison cell-like living space.

Tomorrow was the thirteenth and All Time Low's show at the Polish Club in New York. I was free, but I had no idea how I was going to get there. My roommate was the one who had the car and she wasn't showing up till 10 p.m. tomorrow. I wanted to go so badly. I hadn't been to a music show in so, so long that I've almost forgotten what it was like to be at one.

Walking into my bedroom, I picked up my phone and dialed ten digits. I put it on speaker and gathered some pajamas as I waited. Glancing at my clock I saw it was only 6 p.m.: dinner time.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me."

"Me who?"

"Alex!"

"I'm just kidding Aims. What's up?"

"What are you guys doing right now?"

"We're leaving for New York right now. Why?"

"Well…"

"Aimee."

"Okay, I'm free for your show tomorrow, but my roommate's not coming until late, late, late tomorrow night. I don't have a way to get to your show."

"Well, damn; what are we going to do?"

"We?"

"Yeah. I don't want you taking a taxi and flying is redic."

"Alex, what's going on?" I heard a second voice on the line speak.

"Aims doesn't have a way to get to our show tomorrow."

"Why don't we just go pick her up?"

"Good idea! Hey Aimee, how about we pick you up? Jack, go ask if we can do a side trip."

"Really? You guys would drive all the way over just to pick me up?" I really couldn't believe they would.

"Yeah; we really want you there."

"Okay well, get a pen and paper and I'll give you my address."

When I hung up the phone, I had been talking to the guys for at least an hour and they were on the way to get me in their tour bus in front of my building. I hoped they didn’t get lost. I went and took a shower and dried my hair. I didn't bother straightening my dark curls, simply putting a stretchy head band around my head to keep it down; I'd fix it in the morning. I pulled on my high school mesh track shorts and a large sized V-neck with a guy's GK hoodie over it since they were warmer, socks, and my gray flat booties. In a small bag I threw in thick black leggings, long sleeved, dark purple cotton dress, black vest, and a gray crocheted beret. Grabbing my scarf, I set everything I needed, including makeup, my camera, and phone charger, by the door and waited for them to call me.

By the time my phone had gone off, I had fallen asleep. Looking I saw that I was watching babies being delivered. Shivering, I taped up the note to my roommate on her bedroom door, locked mine, and double checked everything quickly before locking the door behind me and running downstairs and out into the cold Boston air. Fellow students who had arrived early to move into the dorms stared at me as I ran outside in shorts towards the large bus hauling a trailer. Everyone else was bundled up from the cold. I knocked on the door furiously and waited for it to open. Once it did, I plowed down whoever it was and ran to the next person I saw, hugging them tightly in an attempt to steal their warmth.

"Nice to see you too baby-face." A pair of warm arms held me tightly.

I peered up to see my source of comfort was coming from Jack. "Hey Jack," I said softly, my voice softer than I thought it'd be.

"Still hate the cold weather, huh?" He laughed, his chest rumbling comfortably against my body. He pulled me over onto the couch and I hid against him, trying to keep warm.

"Hello to you too, Aims…" I heard a dry voice say.

Peeking over from Jack's side, I saw Alex standing there, his face blank of emotion. I laughed a little and forced myself to leave Jack's side. "Sorry Alex, it was just so cold outside."

"You didn't have to plow me down when I opened the door."

I sighed softly and simply put my arms around him, trying to hug him. He tried pulling away, but I wouldn't let him go. It was freezing and he was even warmer than Jack was. "Alex, I said I was sorry. Please forgive me?"

He reached up and rubbed my cheeks just like he did that night, making me blush. "Yeah, alright." He smiled at me and then left my hug, grabbing my items and taking them off somewhere. "Rian, Zack. Aimee's here!"

Two figures came out from the back followed by Alex and the fun started; well they had fun. I was sitting between Rian and Jack wrapped in a blanket watching them play Halo till I passed out. I was such a dud, but hey, I had a big day tomorrow. I was going to see their show and it was exciting for me.

Somewhere between Zack facing off with Rian I had closed my eyes and I guessed they thought I was asleep.

"Dude, this totally feels like old times except we've got a tour bus and driver."

"Yeah and Aimee's actually sleeping."

"Hey remember that time you and I were having a gum blowing contest and Jack popped your bubble and it got in Rian's hair?"

"That's why I got the buzz cut."

"Jack, why didn't you get back with her after we came back that summer?"

"After the big tour?"

"Yeah."

"Uh… Alex, you want to tell them?"

"Not with her in the room."

"But she's sleeping."

"Still… I'll tell you guys later."

The last thing I heard were gun shots and game controllers.

Someone shaking me woke me up later. I was lying in a small, dark area; thank goodness for not having claustrophobia. The constant shaking continued and I reached over, grabbing whoever's hand that was. I mumbled something incomprehensible before moving this magical dark curtain enough to see this person's face.

It was Rian. "Hey, we're at the venue. Are you ready to get up?"

I smiled at his teddy bear face and nodded. Pushing the curtain open all the way, my eyes widened at seeing how high up I was. "Help?" He laughed and helped me down.

"Here's your bag. Alex threw it in the back lounge last night."

"Rian, what time is it?"

He looked down at his phone. "It's ten. We've got a lot of time to kill before we play tonight." He gave me a smile and handed me my bag.

I took my bag from him and found the small bathroom where I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and straightened my hair. Applying deodorant I walked out and to the back of the bus to see no one there. I shut the door and made sure the blinds were closed before changing into my clothes. Pulling out a small mirror, I did my make up before putting everything up and away in my bag and leaving it on the couch. I put my phone in my bra as I walked to the front of the bus. No one was there and I stood there confused.

"Shoot," I muttered. I forgot a coat. I grabbed my scarf from last night and wrapped it around my neck before attempting to step off the bus. Gasping at the sudden burst of cold air, I quickly shut the door, rubbing my arms. How much of an idiot could I be? Counting to three I quickly opened the door and ran out. I saw two figures, one shorter than the other with light colored hair and the taller one with dark hair. Quickly I ran over to them.

"Aimee? Where's your jacket, it's freezing!" Alex said, his eyes wide.

"I forgot it; have a spare?" I mumbled, shivering.

"I've got another one. I'll go get it," Jack said running off to get me a coat. Meanwhile Alex held me tightly in his warm arms. His pea coat was very soft and warm.

"Well, at least you look really good," he commented, laughing, rubbing my arms.

"Thanks," I mumbled against his chest.

A pair of quick footsteps approached us. "Here Aimee. It'll be a little big on you, but you'll be warm."

Pulling away from Alex's arms I turned to Jack and held my arms out and he put the jacket on me. The coat was very heavy on me; I felt like it was dragging me down, but I didn't mind as long as the cold didn't get to me. I rolled the sleeves up enough for my fingers to poke out. "Thanks Jack. This is so much better." I gave him a hug. "So what are we doing today?"

Rian smiled. "We're going to get some food with Mayday and Every Avenue."

"Well, just David, Jimmie, Derek, and Brooks are coming with us," Zack corrected him.

"Oh, are we taking a bus?" I asked.

"Nah, Mayday Parade brought van with them."

Minutes later I was introduced to the guys we were going with to get lunch. Everyone decided that Denny's would be the best choice so we piled into the fifteen passenger van. Since the fifth row was missing, I sat in the fourth row with Jack. Brooks and Zack sat in the third row, in the second row were Jimmie, David, and Rian, and lastly Derek sat shotgun and Alex was driving. We used their TomTom and chose the closest Denny's location.

"Alex, use the Jesus voice." I laughed as Alex read through the list of voices we could use.

He turned his head and grinned at me. "No way. Check it; they've got Yoda." Alex programmed the voice and started up the car, leaving the parking lot.

Since Jack was sitting on the inside because he wanted a good window seat, I sat leaned up against him, my legs in the aisle. He played with the ends of my hair as he talked with Brooks and Zack. I was just listening to them talk, laughing whenever one of them said something funny. Ten fifteen minutes into the ride I heard some commotion from up front. I sat up and saw Alex hitting the steering wheel with his fists. Everyone became quiet.

“Ten miles away, you are.” I heard the TomTom speak.

Alex growled loudly, breaking the silence. “That’s what you said ten miles ago, Yoda!” he shouted. The sounds of him smacking the steering wheel followed his words. “I swear, how are we going to make it with a fucking moron giving us directions?”

“At end of the road, left turn,” the dreaded Yoda informed.

“Yes, I am talking about you, fucker!”

I laughed from my seat at the back of the old van with Jack. "I told you we should have used Jesus's voice," I teased him.

“At your destination have you arrived.”

“No, we haven’t! There's no Denny's anywhere!” Alex smacked the steering wheel again. “Rian, help with me with this goddamn thing! It's broken. Help!

Derek sighed and pulled the TomTom out of the inlet. Sighing I shrank down and cuddled with Jack again as commotion continued up front. Alex could have such a temper.

"Jack, does he always have huge road rage?" I asked him, playing with his hand.

He laughed and nodded. "All the time. He hates driving in New York in general. I don't know why he didn't let Brooks, Rian, or Derek drive."

Zack turned around. "It's because-"

"Found you!"

I sat up and looked to see us pulling up to a Denny's. Laughing, I pulled Jack's coat back on, ready to get something to eat finally. Everyone filed out and into the restaurant. We slid in to the large corner booth that fit everyone, with room for two more if we wanted. I sat between Jack and David. No one was really in other than a middle aged man having coffee and an elderly couple eating something or other. An older woman approached us to take our orders. I ordered a simple Broccoli and Cheddar soup. The guys had burgers except for Brooks who wanted the Club Sandwich.

So far the day's come along just fine with the exception of the snowy weather. With help from the guys, I ended up getting along just fine with the guys from the other bands. We ended up joking around and goofing. We played a short game of Dare or Double Dare. I made Zack eat all the Ketchup from the full bottle on the table. Because of his love for the fatty red substance, he easily guzzled it down. With friends like these, who needed entertaining television shows? It certainly wasn't me. I just couldn't wait for the show tonight, or my soup.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought it was a nice long update. :] Let me know if there's anything you'd really like to see in the next chapter.