Status: Active

Book Half Unread

Blind Luck

“Colin, stop it! We have to get this finished!” My shouts and giggles carried throughout our Zenith apartment. Me, Christopher, Jenna, Josh, Colin, London, and his new girlfriend Kensey were in the living room doing final wedding touches. I wanted everything finished before February came around and it was already December and close to Christmas. Colin stopped his tickle attack on me and let his arms rest around my waist.

A few months ago when Colin and London came back, they saw all of the plans that Jenna and I had made except for the dress. London, however, decided that the bridesmaid dresses were not attractive, specifically sexy, and with persuasion, managed to change my color scheme through Christopher and Colin, from a white and yellow wedding to a white a red wedding. The bridesmaid dresses became shorter, skimpier, and not my taste, but I could not deny the dresses were pretty. The color change also meant that the flowers I had chosen for my bouquets, yellow azaleas and white baby’s breath, had to change. I now had white azaleas with red tips with red and white baby’s breath flowers.

The thing that we all could agree on was the venue and restaurant. Since we were both Catholic and I was a part of The Church of the Immaculate Conception in Towson, we decided to have it there. The restaurant we were renting out was PF Chang’s; let me just say that it took a lot of persuasion and price haggling from my mother to get them to rent a large section to us. We needed a large section because when Colin and London came back, and with Jenna and Christopher’s help, the guest list became larger and larger until finally I stopped looking at it and let Colin and Jenna be in charge, however, I got to choose the invitations.

“Aimee, what do you think of these red and white pew sheets?” Chrizzy handed me his laptop. “We can do that long chain of bows you wanted to do with these in the church.”

“Oh I like those. How much are they?” Jenna butted in. At least I agreed with her.

“Well, Aimee, they’re a hundred for both of them and you get a one hundred and fifty yards of each color.” Chrizzy rolled his eyes at Jenna who was pouting.

Laughing, I nodded. “Get them, but read the church guidelines first. I want to be able to use what we buy.” I handed him one of two wedding cards Colin’s parents gave us to use. Chrizzy grinned at me and pulled the church’s wedding guideline page out from a mass of papers we had on the floor.

Josh spoke up from his spot on the rug, “Hey Aimee, you know how we have Alex and Jack and them on the guest list?” He chewed on a pencil, looking at his MacBook. He was trying to check off names for the invites. “What about inviting Joe and his girl Zena, and May; Peter and Chase?” I had almost forgotten about them. Smiling a little, I told him to put them down. “You know I still can’t believe you’re inviting Lisa.”

“Well she’s inviting Kara and Kara’s brother, so I don’t see why she wouldn’t. Besides, Lisa’s still dating Alex,” Jenna began, rambling on. Chrizzy pinched her leg, making her hush. I rolled my eyes and cuddled into Colin. Alex’s birthday was tomorrow. I had an invitation to his birthday dinner from Jack, but I did not know if I wanted to go. Colin was going to fly home to Pennsylvania tonight after everyone left and stay with his family for a few days. That following Monday, he was going to fly back here with his family and have Christmas with my mom and I. London was going to fly home Monday, however, and stay in New York until New Years.

“Hey guys I’m starving. I’m making sandwiches, you want any?” I asked them, getting up. Everyone said something along the lines of a ‘yes.’ Joshi got up saying he would help me. We started pulling out bread and jars of Nutella, peanut butter, bananas, and grape jelly.

“Speaking of Lisa Noel, I got a call from her about Alex’s birthday tomorrow. Are you coming?” he asked, quirking a brow as he peeled and cut a banana for me.

“Are you asking, or is she asking?” I smiled as I spread some peanut butter and placed a few banana pieces on top. I covered it with another piece of white bread and set it to the side.

He shrugged. “Both.”

“Truth?”

“Yeah, she wanted you to come. You know, she’s not as evil as you think she is.”

“Lie. Only someone evil could go and snatch up someone else’s boyfriend from under their nose.”

He sighed and put jelly on a few slices of bread. “Now you sound like a bitter old woman.” Pausing, he leaned over and whispered quietly to me, “Just remember who’s getting married, and who you’re marrying. If you need a reminder, it’s not Alex, Aimee.” He pulled back and pointed his thumb over his shoulder towards the couch before sliding over the slices of jellied bread to me. As I finished the pb&j sandwiches, and he made two Nutella sandwiches, I decided he was right. With a sigh, I passed out the sandwiches, giving Colin the peanut butter and bananas one.

“So I just got a text from my cousin Susan, the one with the kid. She says Becky can be flower girl and my little brother’s going to be ring bearer.” Colin took a large bite into the sandwich and sighed, hugging me tightly.

“I love Tripp, he’s so cute,” I cooed, smiling. Colin’s little brother was the most darling thing ever.

“Cuter than me?” he asked, his mouth full of food.

I grimaced and pushed his face away from me. “Just a whole lot,” I mumbled. Christopher shot me a look that only I caught. I watched as Chrizzy nudged Josh who simply shook his head. I sighed and leaned back against Colin. I listened as they found different items for the wedding and I approved or disapproved them.

Of course, it became boring and I fell asleep. I woke up in my bed hours later. There was shuffling outside my door. Getting up, I poked my head out and listened. London was leaning against Colin’s doorway, arms crossed, facing me. He quirked his brow at me momentarily before turning his face back to Colin’s room.

“You sure you don’t want me to wake her up?”

I heard Colin’s voice drift out from his room. “No, she’s tired. I’ll just call her later when she wakes up.”

“Are you talking about me?” I finally spoke, walking out of my room and over to Colin’s.

“Baby, did I wake you up?” Colin asked, running over and hugging me a bit too tightly.

“Well… yeah, but it’s okay. If you let me sleep then I wouldn’t be able to later,” I said, kissing his cheek. “Are you taking a cab or are we driving you?”

“I already called a cab. He should be here in ten, fifteen minutes.” He looked down at me, his brown eyes taking my bed head and I in. “You’re cute.” He ruffled my hair, making me groan, causing him to laugh. I went over and grabbed his carryon bag while Colin and London each took one duffle bag. I put it down on the couch and sat there watching TV with Colin while London went back to his room.

The phone went off minutes later. “London, can you get that?!” I called out to him.

I heard loud shuffling and a loud thump. London’s door flew open as he marched out of his room and over to the phone by the front door. “Lazy ass troll,” I heard him mutter. I rolled my eyes and hugged Colin.

“I think that’s my taxi.”

“Colon, your taxi’s out front,” London called out.

“Don’t call me Colon, England!”

“I’m not fucking England!”

“You were right,” I sighed out, rubbing my face from hearing them yell at each other; I sat up and handed him his bags. “I’ll go down with you.”

“No, baby it’s okay. Stay up here. It’s freezing outside and I don’t need you getting sick.” He pressed his lips against mine. “I’ll see you soon baby.” He tugged his heavy jacket on and I buttoned it up for him. Colin wrapped his arms around me. “Don’t miss me too much; I love you.”

“I love you.” I gave him one last kiss, walking him to the door hand-in-hand.

“Hey London, I’ll see you later, bro.”

London nodded in reply and they gave each other a hug. I opened the door for him and let him out. Kissing my fingers, I waved goodbye to him, watching him walk down the hall. I shut the door when he reached the corner.

“So, Bridezilla…”

I turned around and shook my head at London. “I’m not a Bridezilla.”

“I know, I’m just getting on your nerves, but I can tell something’s bugging you. Come on what’s up?” He walked over to the kitchen and, lamely, I followed him.

“I don’t know… I just- I feel,” I sighed, “I don’t even know Lon.”

“Well, I’m not getting married anytime soon, so I don’t know what you’re going through, but I just want you to know that you couldn’t pick a better guy to get married to.” He rested his heavy hands on my shoulders. “He loves you and he’s going to do what it takes to make you happy.”

I pushed him back and rolled my eyes playfully. “I know that. I’m going to take a shower and stop by work.” As I walked up the stairs to my room, I thought about what I had said. I knew he’d take care of me, but I don’t know if I want him to be the one to.

After my shower, I went to work. “Hey Lizzie, do we have any new paintings today?” I slid my coat off and shook the light snow from it as I entered the doodled-front building. It was so cold outside. Quickly, I slipped off my hat and scarf, hanging them on the coat rack we had in the back.

“No, sorry babe,” she said from her spot behind the counter, filing her nails. Elizabeth started out as an unpaid intern here. “By the way, Christmas Eve there’s a gallery viewing. What shift do you want?”

“What shift are you taking?” I asked her. Although Current is an artist-run space, people like interns, or me- a full time worker, still had to be around to make sure nothing bad happened to the place like people putting holes in the wall.

“Well, because I’m in the seasonal mood- that and my boyfriend dumped me yesterday; I decided to relieve you of the night shift. Either opening or noon,” she said bitterly, filing her nails more vigorously. I grimaced slightly. If she isn’t careful, she won’t have nails to file anymore.

“Are you sure Liz?”

She scoffed. “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be? It’s not like I have family in town anyway. Besides, I need the extra pay. Do you know how much money I lost because I took so many vacations to spend time with him? Too much, that’s how much. Aimee, you are so lucky your fiancé takes such good care of you. He brings you breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, walks you home, holds doors for you, doesn’t call you to tell you to leave work, actually remembers your anniversaries; hell he even tells you he loves you in public! What I wouldn’t kill to have something like that!”

I stood there awkwardly. “Well…”

“And Jeff was such a prick! You couldn’t catch him dead saying ‘I love you.’ Ever.” As she spoke, she riled her nails more vigorously. I backed away slowly and went into the back room. There were probably newer paintings in here that she did not check to see. I was right, but they were not very good. It was mostly amateur stuff, but displayable.

Walking through and setting a few up, I spotted one that I thought looked great. It was in a stack of paintings that were supposed to be for sale. A red tag attached to it. Green tags meant 20 percent off, yellow tags meant 25 percent off, orange ones were 50 percent and red ones were 75 percent off. If there was a black tag that meant that it had to be negotiated with the artist. The painting appealed to me more and more as I stared at it. After deciding that I did really need it, I took it to my manager’s office and talked about getting it. I paid her and wrapped it up in brown packaging paper and bubble wrap. I sat with my manager for a few more hours, just talking and leaving to get coffee at Town'n Country Coffee Shop, although I wanted to get a sandwich at Subway’s just across the street.

When it was nearing six, I grabbed my winter wear and pulled them on tightly around me. Just was I was leaving my phone went off. Someone from an unrecognized number called me. “Hello?” I asked, tugging my scarf loose from around my neck.

Hi, is this Aimee” It was a girl’s voice.

“This is she.”

Aimee McIntyre? Hey! It’s Lisa Ruocco. I’m calling about Alex’s birthday dinner tomorrow. Jack gave you the invite and Josh asked you about it, right?” Her voice was light and cheery over the phone, sadly it only dampened my mood.

“Oh... yeah- hi, Lisa. I got the invite.” My voice was clearly unenthusiastic.

Great, so can I put you down for how many?

“I… um… don’t know if I’m even going yet. I have to work…” I trailed off.

Oh come on. I think Alex would love it if you came.” There was a pause on the phone. “You know, Aimee, I’m really sorry we’ve never had the chance to be friends.” Her voice was extremely sincere. I felt myself slowly softening up. “And it’s all my fault too. I just… felt… special back in high school. I didn’t think of what it was doing to anyone else. I-

I interjected before she could continue, “I forgive you, Lisa. I don’t know if we’ll be fast friends or anything, but we can be friendly at the least.” I felt a load rise from my shoulders as I spoke. “I’ll be there tomorrow- just me. Any ideas what I should get him?” We spent a bit longer about what I should get Alex before hanging up the phone.

“Ooh, Aimee girl has past drama?” Elizabeth asked with a small smirk on her face.

No, Lizzie. Good night.”

“Toodles!”

I quickly trekked around the city with my newly bought painting in the freezing cold. I walked down North Eutaw St and I saw a jacket in the window of the Runways store; I knew I wanted it for Alex. This out of the way trip was worth it. After I bought it, I hightailed my butt back to the Zenith and found old geeky wrapping paper, a box, and a blue ribbon to make a bow with.

When I woke up in the morning, it was later than I would usually get up. According to the clock, London was going to drive me to Lutherville in forty minutes and the faster he got rid of me, the quicker he could have Kensey over. I just liked that Kensey was not at all like Valerie. I quickly showered and let my hair air dry, allowing it to wave and curl. I threw on black skinny jeans and a purple-sleeved long baseball shirt. I slipped my feet into gold point-toe flats as I grabbed my jacket downstairs. Just then, London’s alarm from his room went off and I heard noises as he left his room.

“Oh. Good. You’re ready to go.” He yawned deeply, sluggishly grabbing his keys.

“I don’t know if I feel safe…” I trailed off, watching him as he stumbled to the door and down the hall- without a jacket, I might add.

The thirty-minute drive passed quickly and I got there safely. I bid him a quick hug goodbye before opening the front door to my house. It was deathly quiet and I realized that my mom had gone to work her night shift. Sighing, I put the gift down on the stair step for later before going up to my room and looking through drawers for makeup. I felt as though I struck gold went I found an inch long stick of eyeliner at the very back of my drawer; it’s sharpened too. Taking it and dark purple eye shadow to help fill out the look, I applied them along with Chap Stick to my lips.

I sent Jack a text, asking him to pick me up for tonight. It was seven thirty and he said he would be here in thirty minutes. I hope tonight goes well.
♠ ♠ ♠
The reason why it's taken so long to get this out is because I've changed this chapter seven times now and rewritten it twice. I've also been contemplating if I should have added Alex's birthday party into this chapter or not and I decided against this. I really hope to have his birthday chapter up by either New Years or the first week of January-ish. Let me know if I need to make changes!