Status: Active

Book Half Unread

New York

London and I started dating after that. He would take care of my family, he was the first to know – after Colin – that Charlotte was going to one day exist, and he would never leave me; those were the things that made me accept London’s offer the second time around. He didn’t love me and I didn’t love him, but we promised to try to fall in love, and only until then would we get married. My mother approved, Christopher and Jenna approved, almost everyone approved of the match.

It took a while, but Charlotte began calling London dad, all on her own. Months passed and soon Charlotte was almost done with the first grade. During those months, I never saw Alex, or the other three, or our friends Marc, Vinny, or Delicious, or anyone else who traveled with the boys. I didn’t know whether to be sad about it or not. Jack E-mailed me and said he accepted what happened and hoped that he and I could be okay. I told him we’d be just fine and he asked me how I was doing; I didn’t reply back.

Things were changing quickly; the biggest being New York. London’s parents were pushing him to move back to the Big Apple. He took me out to dinner and told me about it, and asked me to move out there with him; I told him I would have to think about it and talk it over with my mom. I didn’t want to leave mom or Lutherville-Timonium. It was familiar, comfortable, and the only real place Charlotte knew. I put the conversation off for two weeks until London figured out what I was doing and asked my mom himself. She agreed and thought that after everything that’s happened this past year that I should go, that I needed to be away, and that if I ever needed her, she would be here waiting. It didn’t stop me from feeling bad about leaving her alone.

Therefore, after Charlotte turned six we moved into the apartment building across the street from London’s parents in Midtown Manhattan; his family helped us pay half the rent. It was a two-story two-bedroom loft set up. Charlotte’s room was on the bottom floor and London and I were going to share the loft area upstairs. At first, she was scared of the new place, but after I decorated the place and put up pictures of people she knew, she was comfortable and right at home. She got to know London’s parents, Maria and David. They were a handsome couple and it made me feel good to see two people married and happy.

“I’m off to work, I’ll see you two chickadees later,” London called out, adjusting the grey bowtie around his neck.

“Chickadee!” Charlotte laughed. She sat with me on the balcony coloring in her Carebear coloring book.

London walked over and kissed me before turning to Charlotte and giving her a kiss as well.

“Be safe Lon,” I said. I smiled watching him leave the apartment.

When we moved to New York City, London called up a few friends of his and managed to get a job with a company that produced music, did advertizing for musicians, and helped artists book shows and connect with other musicians, then a few hours on Saturday and Sunday worked at a tattoo shop. I, on the other hand, went back to that photography degree I picked up at Boston University, starting my own photography business, and did freelance writing for the Examiner part time. Together we pulled together enough money to live leisurely.

“Mommy, it’s time to go to the store,” Charlotte said. She learned how to read traditional clocks just weeks before school ended in Maryland and ever since she’s been wearing an old pink Minnie Mouse watch of mine and keeping time for me. “Look, eight forty-five.”

Stopping my typing on my laptop, I smiled at her. “You’re right darling! It is. Let’s go get Uncle Garrett and Johnny next door.”

Charlotte ran off to put her shoes on and I followed her, taking our things inside and putting them away. I slipped my feet into a pair of heels. I took Charlotte’s bright neon pink book bag and put it on her. Grabbing the loop at the top of her bag so that she couldn’t run away, I left the apartment with her, locking up.

We walked next door and knocked. Garrett and Johnny Disroe were brothers. Garrett had lighter and longer hair, was bisexual, and modeled; on the side, he was attempting to start his own art gallery, modeling company, and a theatrical acting career. He had many goals for himself. Johnny was the complete opposite. He worked with London at the tattoo shop, which was how he got the job in the first place. London and the Disroe brothers knew each other since they were tots. Aside from tattooing, Garrett was an inline skater and a skateboarder.

Johnny opened the door, only a towel around his waist. I squealed and covered Charlotte’s eyes, who I glanced down at and saw was smiling. He jumped at seeing Charlotte, his towel dropping. I shut my eyes and turned my head away.

“Johnny Disroe! I’m telling London!” I cried out.

Shit I’m sorry! Sorry!”

“Stop swearing and cover up you moron!” Garrett yelled.

After our short scuffle, the four of us were on our way. Garrett thought that using a book bag was a stupid way to walk with Charlotte and carried her, discarding her backpack in their apartment. I thought child leashes were absurd and wouldn’t put her in one, but I couldn’t think of any other way to make sure she didn’t run off or get kidnapped.

Today we were going shopping for clothing, groceries, and stopping at the tattoo shop to meet London; possibly we’d have lunch together. I was getting a tattoo and everyone was excited. I had always sworn off on being inked, but this was a new me, and the new me was going to have a tattoo. There were jokes of course. Antonio, a big bald man who was literally covered in tattoos, and Carrie, a girl who had just as many tattoos, said that I should get London’s face tattooed on my face, with my face on his face. I knew that Carrie hated me and was always forward about it. Antonio liked me, but teased me because he thought I was a real lipstick. A lipstick, according to his definition, was a woman who hated tattoos, was completely straight edge, and was a total princess, who I was, but I didn’t need him telling the world the obvious. It took four hours all together to get our shopping done and put away at the apartment. The four of us took the subway to Brooklyn where the tattoo parlor was.

Walking in, we were greeted by the man who owned the place, Jeremiah Ingram. He was a scrawny character with rust colored hair, thick-rimmed glasses, gauges, and complete sleeves on his arms and legs, and covered his back and chest. A few tattoos freckled his face, including a tattoo of a lightning bolt replicating Harry Potter’s. In fact, many of his tattoos were inspired by books like Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, and oddly enough, Mary Poppins. My favorite piece of his was of Hedwig with her wings spread across his chest, but I was also impressed by the Dark Mark on his arm. His brother Isaiah looked exactly like him, but he had a single sleeve up on his right arm with a nautical theme, and a few quotes here and there on his body; Isaiah was more into piercings than tattoos.

Garrett carried Charlotte over to London’s work area and I smiled as London stopped his work on his customer and introduced Charlotte to the woman he was tattooing. Charlotte told the woman she thought the picture that her daddy was drawing on her was beautiful. I think that comment made everyone smile. Charlotte got down from London’s arms and let him get back to work as she ran over to me and hugged my legs tight.

“What’s the matter sweet-face?” Johnny asked, squatting down to get eye level with her.

“Mommy looks very pretty today,” she replied. My heart swelled at her compliment. This was why I loved this little girl more than the world. I picked her up and gave her kisses.

“That she does, boo bear,” Garrett laughed.

I rolled my eyes at them. “You boys are too much.”

“So, what, you believe the kid but not us? That hurts,” Johnny dramatized, walking over to his work area and setting up.

I sat there for an hour with Garrett in the break room in the back. He and Charlotte were in an intense game of patty-cake and I was watching the news. Thirty minutes later, London finished with his appointment and it was my turn. I had thought about what I wanted for a long time and talked with London about it for hours. It was going to be a piece on the inside of my left arm. It would read in script: Down by the sea is where you drown your scars. Centered underneath would be a tiny black outline of a heart for every person who meant something significant to me and died with his or her first and last initials inside. One was for my father, Carolina, and one for Colin.

London was careful and precise about everything he did. He worked as quickly as he could. I sat there with my face buried against my right hand, crying silently. It hurt so much. It was a while longer when the buzzing of the bullet stopped and I felt the needle leave my sore flesh. I peeked over to watch as London wiped the excess ink away. What I saw brought a smile to my face.

“It’s exactly what I wanted,” I whispered, leaning over and kissing him sweetly. “Thank you for doing this.”

“You don’t have to thank me.” He smiled. The bell above the shop’s door rang and London’s smile disappeared. I turned around in my seat to see who it was. I saw Jack and Rian’s familiar faces by the reception counter where Jeremiah and Isaiah were.

Isaiah turned around and cupped his hands around his mouth, letting out a rooster-like call. “Johnny!”

From the back of the parlor, there was a monstrous cry, like a pterodactyl, and Johnny came out with Charlotte riding on his shoulders. “Lucy, I’m home!”

“Uncle Johnny, you’re crazy,” Charlotte laughed.

“Charlotte?”

“Uncle Jack! Uncle Rian! Why are you in New York?” Charlotte asked, her eyes wide.

Garrett walked up beside me and placed a hand on my shoulder. “You know these boys, Aimee?”

“I… Yeah. Yeah I do, back in Maryland,” I whispered.

“Aimee!” Rian waved his arms and came around, walking over to me as London did his best to ignore them, wrapping my arm up. “What are you doing in New York?”

“I needed a change of scenery,” I stated, fidgeting in my seat.

“Understandable.” He stood there awkwardly for a moment, rocking back and forth on his feet. “Hey, London. Long time no see.”

“Yeah.” London, snapped his gloves off his hands and threw them in the bin, turning his back to us as he began cleaning his station.

“So… I thought you didn’t like tattoos?”

“What are you two doing here?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Rian and I are getting inked by Johnny.” I turned my head a little to see Jack walking up to us. He turned to Rian, “You’re up first.” Rian backed away, looking between the two of us, and made his way over to Johnny’s workstation.

Getting up, I leaned over and kissed London’s cheek before motioning for Jack to follow me. We went into the backroom and I locked the door behind us. Sighing, I sat down on the worn black leather couch while he took a seat on one of the black wooden chairs.

“How’s Zack?”

“He’s good. Still works out day and night. Alex’s good too, just so you know.” I looked at him questioningly. “I knew you wouldn’t ask. We’re here for a show and to hang out with Pete. You should come tonight; London too. We’re going to be at Angels and Kings.”

I pursed my lips into a line. “Mm, tempting. I’ll pass.”

“Aimee, we miss you.”

“I’ve heard that one more than once in my life from you and the rest of them,” I replied.

“This is about him, isn’t it?”

I was silent for a moment. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Angels and Kings, ten tonight.” With that, he left the room and went over to watch Rian get tattooed.

Sighing, I got up and went over to Charlotte who was watching Rian get tattooed. I placed my hand on Rian’s shoulder and smiled, picking Charlotte up and leaving with her. I waited outside the shop and London and Garrett soon came out.

“Are you okay?” London murmured, wrapping his arms around me.

“Are you?” I bounced back at him. Shaking my head, we went down to a Jewish deli on the corner for pastrami and a long conversation.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here's twenty-nine. I realized, after looking through notes for this story that I was supposed to finish this tale up two chapteres ago, so I'm making it my plan to endthis story in two chapters (31). I hope it works out.
Please let me know what you all thought of this chapter. It's shorter than my other updates for this story, but I thought I made the length okay.

Read&Review!
:)