Status: Active

Book Half Unread

Stood Up

"Sure thing, I'll be there," I said, smiling over the phone. Alex wanted to take me out to dinner tomorrow for Valentines Day and told me to meet him at Olive Garden at 6 p.m. "Did you want to do anything today or are you guys still having a four hour practice?" I walked out with Christopher to his car. We talked for a few more minutes till he had to start practice. When I hung up I turned to Chris. "Chrizzy." I dragged the 'y' out.

"Oh no, I know that voice. What is it?" he asked, turning the volume of the radio down.

"Take me to Olive Garden at 6 p.m. tomorrow?" I asked him, batting my lashes. He sighed and nodded. "You're the greatest! Thanks so much."

"Just bring me back bread sticks."

"Sure thing." We spent the rest of the card ride to my house talking about how the year was going by so fast and the silly things that had happened. We spent a good five minutes talking about how his girl pants fashion statement had made a big impact and almost every guy was wearing them in school. He was the greatest best friend. His girl Jenna was lucky.

Tomorrow couldn't have come sooner. School was filled with love buzz. Teachers rooms were decked out in pink, red, and white and hearts were all over the place. A box of chocolates and twelve daisies were on the front steps of my house this morning from Alex, but I hadn't seen him all day, or even Jack and Rian.

Chris took me home after school and picked dresses that he liked on me to wear tonight. I ended up deciding on the blue dress he laid out and white pencil heel shoes. I did my make up following an image I had found on the computer I wanted to try and Chris told me if it was even or not. He was one dependable guy. I think I was the only girl he would be caught dead helping like this. He had his own date tonight too. He was going to take Jenna to her favorite place in Towson: Paolo's Ristorante. It was a cute, homely place.

We dropped by his place so he could get dressed. I picked out a nice dress shirt and vest for him. He decided that his skinny jeans he wore for skating would be fine and didn't want the dress pants I found. We left so he could drop me off at Olive Garden after we asked his mom if we could cut a rose from her flower garden.

He dropped me off three after six, but that was fine. I wasn't complaining. I wished him luck and I walked in. Alex wasn't there. Maybe he was seated? I went over to the maƮtre d' and asked him about the reservation. He looked me up on the computer and lead me over to an empty table for two by the window.

I sat for five minutes and ordered a water. Five more minutes passed. Then ten minutes flew by. I pulled my phone out from my clutch and dialed his number. It went straight to voicemail. "Hey handsome. I'm here at Olive Gardens, waiting for you like we planned. Call me back." I hung up and shrunk in my seat. Lacey Harris walked in with the Homecoming King; great. I caught the smug and dirty look she sent me. I had a bad feeling about tonight.

They sent me bread sticks and I ate about half of one before deciding to call again. I got voicemail once more. "Alex, this isn't funny. Are you okay? Please call me back." I then called Rian. He was the only other number I had from the group. "Hi Rian, it's Aimee. If you get this message please call back." I sat there a while longer. I hadn't noticed, but I was crying to myself. It had been almost an hour and still no response. A sudden vibration gave me hope, but it was only Marc Shilling asking me how it was going.

Stood up. Can you please come get me? I'm at Olive Garden.

I looked back when it vibrated again. He said he be here in twenty minutes and to just be a little patient. When twenty minutes passed, I placed a twenty on the table, otherwise I would have felt like crap, and made my way to the front just as Marc walked in. I could feel Lacey's eyes on the back of my head the whole way.

"Hey gorgeous, come here," he said, opening his arms wide for me. I went straight to him and hugged him tightly. "Let's get you in the car; I left it running." He opened the door for me and I got in. He ran to the driver side and hopped in. Once he closed the door I broke down, kicking my heels off and pulling my knees to my chest. He took my hand and drove me all the way home, holding it.

He let me out of his car and walked me all the way back to the house. "Thanks so much, Marc," I said pathetically. He gave me another hug.

"You need anything else?" he asked, rubbing my back. I shook my head no and said my goodbye to him as I went inside. Great; it was mom's week again to work at the hospital. I needed her right now. I needed someone right now. Looking at my phone, I saw I had no messages and no missed calls. I plugged my phone up and went to take a shower.

The shower made me feel better. It was a long and warm one and it felt as if it was washing my sadness away. I got up and dried off, wrapping my towel around me as I walked back to my room. Still no messages or missed calls. I pulled on an old soccer team shirt and shorts before crawling into bed. I cried my little sea of woe and fell asleep.

I woke up the next day. Almost instantly, I checked my phone. I still had nothing. I got up and readied myself for school, pulling on my black skinny jeans and black long sleeve V-neck. I slipped a white vest on, leaving it unbuttoned and performed my hygenical duties. I then brushed my hair, teasing and fixing it before tossing a knit black beret on my head. Quickly I applied thin black eyeliner, mascara, and shadow. I slipped my feet into my white shoes and grabbed the car keys to my Volkswagon Beatle. This was the first time in months I drove to school; thank goodness I listened and still bought a parking sticker.

First I stopped by my locker before heading off to AP English. I spent most of my time doodling. Actually, I doodled throughout all my classes. I skipped lunch and sat in the Library doodling too. I hadn't gotten a text all day from Alex or Rian. Sure I saw Rian and Jack, but Alex was the one I wanted to see and he was no where. When the 2:15 bell rang, ending French IV and the school day, Christopher was waiting for me and I told him all about being stood up.

He followed me home that day, saying he was going to take me for ice cream. I pulled up to my house and saw Alex's car parked out front. I went down the driveway and parked my car in the garage. Closing it, I went through the house and walked out the front door to see him sitting on the steps.

"Babycakes, I've got news! The band got-"

"-Not now, Alex, please." I felt so much pain just looking at him. I didn't want to hear what he had to say right now.

He sighed and grabbed my hands. "What's wrong Aimee?"

I tried to pull my hands back, but he held them firmly. "What's wrong is that you stood me up last night!" I said, not meaning to yell it like I did. I heard a car door slam and saw Chris walking from his X-terra over to me.

"Aimee I... Fuck, I'm sorry baby, but I have an excuse," he said, trying to pull me close.

"Alex, stop it. You stood me up on Valentine's Day, of all days," I cried to him. I disliked crying so much. "I waited, and waited, and waited for you and you never answered my calls or returned them. Why?" I was sobbing hard by now.

Alex managed to hold me in his arms. "Aimee, it's what I wanted to tell you. Hopeless Records contacted us and told us they wanted us to sign with them yesterday. I was so excited I forgot all about it being Valentine's Day. Forgive me babycakes. Just forgive me." I forgave him right there. He sounded so sincere to me.

"Just this once. If you mess up again, I'm done," I cried to him. He wiped my face free of tears with his jacket sleeve

"I won't mess up again. I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Remember Marc and Christopher's actions in this chapter, and Josh's from the chapter before. It's very important for later. :]