Status: Active

Book Half Unread

Driving Skills

Since Monday, I spent the next two days with my dad watching movies and following him around like a lost puppy. He told me I should be getting ready for prom. Prom was supposed to be at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel in the Watertable Ballroom on Saturday, just two days away. I was stuck with an expensive dress I couldn't return because I didn't want to talk to Alex for the receipt and I didn't have a date, plus tickets were outrageously priced right now. Marc said he would took me, but he was taking a girl named Sarah. Josh waited too long for a ticket and couldn't afford it so he was just going to throw and after party. I was probably going to end up helping him throw the party in the end.

I sat at lunch with Jenna and Marc's date Sarah, listening to them go on and on about their dress and how they wished I was going. Kara, Rian's girlfriend even came by to check up and see how I was doing before going back to the guys. She was always so nice. I pushed the school bought macaroni and cheese, probably the only thing they actually made themselves, as I stared out the window. The end of lunch bell rang and everyone got up, gathering their trash to throw away.

"Aimee, Jack's walking over here," Jenna whispered. I turned around to see the tall kid walking towards us.

"What do you think he wants?" I asked, just as I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned to see Jack standing there, a small smile on his face. "Yeah, Jack?" I asked him, my voice quiet.

"Uh, I wanted to say sorry for a few days ago," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I didn't mean to sound like a dousche." He seemed sincere and I was always to easily forgive and forget.

"Apology accepted," I said, giving him a small smile. He smiled back at me.

"Can I take you to get ice cream after school today?"

I frowned slightly. "I don't know, Jack. My dad's home for only a few more weeks..." I trailed off. I hadn't told anyone about my dad being shipped out to fight.

"Oh, well, can I take you home? I saw Chris give you a ride to school today," he said. He was really trying to get me to do something with him today after school.

Reasoning with myself I rejected him. "I don't think Alex would want you around me," I said, walking to the Library with Jack following right after me. I was a Library Aid after lunch.

"Ah, he doesn't care," he said. "Come on, it'll be cool." The late bell signaled and he didn't even flinch at being late to class. "I'll skip class and follow you until you say yes."

"Is that a threat, Jack?" I asked him with a small sigh as I pulled a heavy cart filled with books toward an aisle.

He quickly grabbed the cart and pushed it for me. "It's a promise. Come on, just ride with me," he whined.

I turned around to look at him and laughed. "Fine, fine. Be outside of Ms. Garbooshian's class when the bell rings," I said with a small sigh.

"I didn't know you were in French IV. I made it to French II and that was about it," he said laughing. "I'll be there. See you later." He quickly left and went back to his own classroom. That boy had bold nerves.

When the last bell of the day rang I walked out to see Jack standing there talking to Chris. "Hey guys," I said slowly. They stopped talking and turned to me. Chris gave me a smile.

"So Jack's taking you home?" he asked me. I nodded. "If you're sure, I'll pick you up tomorrow for school." He gave me a hug, rubbing my back gently, before going off his own way.

Jack quickly reached over and took my books and folders from me. "I'll hold them for you. Your locker's this way right?" He gave me a childish smile.

"I... yeah," I said, nodding slowly. I felt odd not having to carry my books. I always had to have something in my hands. I slid my bracelet off and played with it idly. The silence between us wasn't awkward or anything. It was comfortable and felt normal. I liked this feeling. I grabbed my books and we walked out to his little car.

As he unlocked the doors he spoke up. "Okay, so fair warning. I have my liscense, but I haven't driven in a little while." He gave me a grin and hopped in. Oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into? "Do you like that place Rita's?" he asked me as he backed out, jerking a couple of times. He apologized quickly, embarrassed.

"Uh, yeah, it's neat," I said, slowly reaching for the "oh shit" handle above the window. I pressed my back into the seat as he drove, worried for my safety. "The custard's great. I like the lemon ice a lot and the Island Fusion."

"No way! Me too and the Pina Colada and Tropical Punch." He turned his head and grinned at me. I gasped and pointed as he was veering off the road. He swirved a little to straighten himself out. Sighing, I shrunk in the seat.

"Maybe we shouldn't talk while you drive. Or listen to the radio for that matter," I commented, turning the radio down till it could be barely heard. We drove silently and though it probably wasn't safe, I fell asleep.

I felt myself being shaken. "Aimee, hey wake up, we're here," I heard Jack's voice say. "Uppity up." I groaned and opened my eyes to see us parked, not in front of my house, but at Rita's.

"Jack, you're supposed to take me home," I mumbled. He got out of the car and I followed him up to the window.

"Rian! Rian open your window!" Jack hollared, banging on the little window incessantly. He continued to make a sound resembling a dinosaur's roar.

Suddenly, Rian Dawson slid the door open and threw a cup of water at his face, shutting him up. "Dude, you can't do that or I'll get fired." He fixed the visor hat he wore on his head. "Sup? Oh hey Aimee. How are you feeling?"

I shrugged a little and walked up to the window. "I'm a little better."

"Oh so did Jack ask you yet?"

"Ask me what?" I asked, confused.

Jack quickly looked at me. "Nothing, I'll ask you later."

"Oops, my bad." Rian laughed. "So, how can I help you two?"

"Yeah, can I have a Pina Colada? Aimee, what can I get you?" Jack smiled down at me.

"Jack, I'm fine, really."

"No way, I'm getting you something. She likes lemon, can I get one of those. Actually, forget the Pina Colada. Can I have two lemons?" he asked Rian, grinning.

Rian disappeared and I stood there awkwardly. He really didn't have to do that. Now he was spending three, almost four dollars on me. That was almost a five dollar bill. Rian soon returned with two lemon ices. "So, total's..." He paused and looked at Jack who stood there gawking at the lemon ice in his hands and sighed. "Just kidding. Here you go."

"Thank's buddy!" Jack handed me one and took the other. He stuck a plastic white spoon in my ice for me and got one for himself and dug in. I stood there dully, observing the substance in the cup. I looked to Rian who was busy cleaning then to Jack who was happily eating his ice. I gave in, seeing how happy he was, and began eating with him. "Isn't it great Aims?"

I looked up and smiled at him. "Yeah, Jack, it's great. Thanks so much," I said, walking to him and giving him a hug. He returned the hug, holding me tightly.

"You know, I've never hugged you before," he told me, laughing.

"Really?" I asked him, not remembering.

"Nope, never."

"Well, how was your first hug from me?" I looked up to him.

He thought about it then grinned. "Beyond super awesome. Let's walk!" Agreeing, we walked along East Joppa Road for a while just talking and watching him skip and do cartwheels.

"Hey Jack, what was it you were going to ask me?" I asked him as we were walking back to his car. Rian had sent him a text reminding him of the four hour practice they had at six and it was already ten after five.

He seemed a little nervous all of a sudden. "Well... I wanted to know if you'd, you know, let me be your prom date," he said. I hesitated: I didn't know if I wanted to see Alex and Lisa together. "I promise we won't go with Alex," he added, reaching over and taking my hand.

A smile slowly appeared on my face as I nodded. "I'll go with you Jack," I said, my heart didn't feel so heavy anymore.

He threw his hands up in the air and gave a "hurrah" in happiness, making me laugh. I never noticed how silly he was before. It was refreshing to me. "Come on, I'll take you home now," he said, taking my hand and walking me to the car. He unlocked the doors and we both got in.

I was going to prom and did it arrive quickly or what?

Prom began at 7 p.m. and lasted till 11 p.m. I had my hair and eye make up done by three. It was 4:16 now and Jack was supposed to be here in 14 minutes to take pictures. When I had told my mom about Jack taking me now, she took the dress Alex had bought me and changed it all up. She made it a little longer, taking out some ruffles in it, so it stopped just below my knees instead of above, and added a bow to the back of it where my tail bone was. It looked better, I thought.

Soon the doorbell rang and I came down the stairs as my dad answered it, letting Jack in. I smiled as he stood there awkwardly with my dad. He was dressed handsomely in white shoes, pants, dress shirt, vest, and a white coat hung over his arm. He had a little black bow tie though and that really made me smile. He talked to me for hours the night I accepted his invite to prom about what he should wear. I couldn't believe he listened when I told him I loved bow ties.

My mom quickly walked in with a camera in her hands. "Oh honey, where's Aimee? Aimee, come down!"

"I'm right here, mom," I said, laughing as I walked down the stairs in my white heels. I saw her gasp, immediately taking photos as I walked down and I smiled, embarrassed. I looked to my dad, he looked proud, and Jack, well, Jack stood there with his mouth open. I blushed and looked down, noticing a box in his hand, his white coat covering most of it up. I made it to the bottom of the stairs and smiled at Jack. "Hey, Jack."

"Hey, Aimee, you look gorgeous," he said, a silly grin on his face. I laughed and gave him a hug which he returned, my mom clicking her camera away. "Oh hey I have this for you." He asked my dad to hold his coat while he took the corsage out of its box. I thought it was beautiful and it went with my dress. He grinned as he put it on my wristfor me and I couldn't help but smile. I hoped my mom was taking amazing photos.

"Oh daddy, the boutonnière. Could you get it please?" I asked, suddenly remembering it. My dad walked away and came back minutes later with it in hand. He handed it to me and I took it carefully. "I'm sorry if I mess it up," I said sincerely, a small smile on my face.

"Don't worry about it," he smiled at me happily. I found the button hole on his vest and tried putting it in through it. I tried several times, the boutonnière falling out over and over again until he helped me pull it through. "There you go." I smiled happily up at him. "Come on, it's picture time!" He grinned at my mom with the camera who happily took his photo. We took photos in several poses, my mom awing at how much shorter I was than him.

"Mom, are we done with photos?" I asked, laughing. My mom sighed and nodded, holding my dad's hand.

"Well, are you ready to go? I made us reservations to eat," he said smiling at me.

"I'm ready. Bye mom, bye daddy."

"Son, make sure nothing happens to my little girl," my dad said, being the tough guy as aways.

Jack smiled and nodded his head. "I promise to take perfect care of her Mr. McIntyre. Bye Mr. McIntyre, Mrs. McIntyre." He gave my dad a salute: charming touch. My dad saluted him too.

"Remember, I'm staying the night at Jenna's. I love you guys," I said, giving them kisses before leaving hand-in-hand with Jack.

Jack opened the passenger door for me, giving me a small bow. I laughed and got in, him closing the door behind me an running around and getting in the driver's seat. "I just want you to know, I practiced and worked on my driving skills."

"Oh that makes me feel a lot safer," I teased him. I don't know, but I think I was starting to like Jack as more than a friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Peggy Garbooshian-Kopp is a real person and she really does teach French at Dulaney. Oh, and Rian did work at Rita's Italian Ice in high school. I just assumed it was the one on East Joppa Road because it was in Towson and close to Dulaney High School, ish. :]