This Time, I Mean It

There's Something You Should Know

So.

Who the fuck was Sarah?

Bob was sleeping soundly on their flight but Liz couldn’t sleep. She knew she wouldn’t, especially not now after finding that photograph. She’d shoved it back into Bob’s bag as she heard him gently snoring and glanced over at him.

Why?

Why was there always some complication?

They’d had a fantastic time together, she’d grown so close to him and he’d told her some of his inner most thoughts and she’d told him hers but she’d felt him clam up when she’d said she wanted to have children one day.

He’d changed the subject and it had been so obvious.

She didn’t know what to think as she gazed at him. His strawberry blond hair hanging around his face, his lip ring glinting on his slightly open mouth.

She loved him, more than she’d ever loved anyone else and she was scared. Was it all worth it?

She’d taken some headache pills just before the plane came into land and, as if on cue, as the plane touched down, Bob woke.

She couldn’t help but smile at him, she loved watching him wake.

“That was quick,” he said, stretching.

“That’s because you slept through most of it,” said Liz. “As soon as we’re out of here on our way, I’m going to have to contact Kitty. I hope she’s OK. What the fuck was Gerard doing sleeping with Eliza?”

“Who knows. People do the weirdest things,” Bob replied and she somehow Liz knew he wasn’t going to say anything more on the subject.

**

Ray had called up Bob again as soon as they got out of the airpor saying that nobody could find Kitty and everyone was worried, glancing around they got a taxi quickly and as they settled in the back of the car on their way across New York City, Liz called up Kitty. If she doesn’t answer her cell, she’d try the gallery but her luck was in, Kitty picked up straightaway.

“Kitty, thank god I got hold of you the first time. Where are you?” Liz said to her.

“I’m in a taxi in the City, why? Where are you?” Kitty responded. She sounded upset and not her usual self.

“I’m just heading through the City too, Bob and I landed just over an hour ago and he’s been on the phone to Ray ever since. What’s been going for goodness sake? We’ve only been away for a couple of days and this.”

“What? What are you talking about?” Said Kitty.

“This Eliza business and the letter,” Liz said.

“I don’t know what you mean. What Eliza business and what letter?” said Kitty.

How could she now know? Thought Liz. What the hell was going on here?

The phone began to crackle and Kitty could just about hear Liz’s voice.

“The letter…the letter you sent Gerard. He didn’t get all of it.” Said Liz.

“What?” said Kitty. “I don’t understand you Liz, the line is breaking up. Where are you?”

“We’re just driving by the hospital, where are you?”

“Heading towards the hospital. Don’t ask, it’s a long story.” Said Kitty then she sighed, a huge sigh.

“Let me meet you there Kitty, Bob and I need to talk to you.” Liz said concerned for her friend.

“OK. I should be there in five minutes,” said Kitty.

”We’re meeting her at the hospital, it seems she doesn’t know about the letter and I’m worried about her, I wonder what she’s going to the hospital for?” She said looking at Bob who immediately took her hand.

God she loved him.

But.

Who the fuck was Sarah?

**

Liz was standing at the hospital doors with Bob. His arm wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her close when the taxi pulled up alongside them. Kitty got out, paid the driver and came over to hug them both. She looked awful, like she hadnt slept and had the weight of the world on her shoulders.

She turned to Liz and spoke to her urgently.

“Liz, what did you mean Gerard didn’t get all the letter?” said Kitty, her eyes dull and lifeless but they were frightened eyes at the same time.

“Eliza took the second page, the page that explained that you still wanted Gerard. She took it so she could get with Gerard and all this time Gerard thought you were with someone else, engaged and happy,” Liz said to her trying to make her understand.

Kitty turned to Bob for reassurance. “Its true Kitty,” said Bob. “She stole it and Gerard thought you didn’t love him anymore, its what he told us.”

“Poor Gerard,” said Kitty. “I think II need to speak to him.”

“Ray says he doesn’t know where he is. He left a note with Mikey’s name on at the hotel saying that he needed to be by himself for a while. Everyone thought he’d gone to find you but he’d be here by now and….he’s not answering his phone. I’m sorry Kitty. Anyway, sweetheart, why are you at the hospital?” said Liz.

“It’s a long story. Listen, I need to go in, I have an appointment.” Kitty said.

“Do you want me to come with you?” said Liz. She looked at her friends face and saw the devastation on it. Why on earth was she at the hospital? What had she gone through in LA? There were so many thinks she wanted to ask her but it looked as though Kitty didn’t have the energy to answer her. She looked dreadful.

“No, its something I need to do myself,” said Kitty. “I’ll talk to you later Liz. Bye Bob,” she said then she was gone.

“Those two need to talk.” Said Bob grabbing Liz and holding onto her tightly.

“You know….I always thought those two would be married by now.” Liz said glancing up at Bob’s beautiful blue eyes but he turned his gaze away from her.

“Marriage. Its not worth all the pain.” He said.

“What do you mean Bob?” Liz said trying to get him to look at her but he wouldn’t. He just turned and walked off slightly.

“Listen Liz, there’s something you should know. I haven’t known how to tell you this but its time I did. I’m….Liz….I’m married.”