This Time, I Mean It

Just Pick Me Up and Carry Me Away

I was just packing my few things away in my holdall and surprisingly I was on my own in the bus, god knows where everyone had disappeared to at that moment. I hadn’t slept well all the weekend thinking about what Kitty had said about taking drugs. I was so shocked; I’d never imagine her and Gerard getting caught up in that stuff. What the fuck were they both playing at? Who was this Bert guy anyway that they had got the drugs from? He should rot in hell…

…and the drinking, I couldn’t get over it; both of them were drunk nearly the entire time. I’d spoken to Kitty and told her to be careful but what else could I do?

I was just zipping up my bag when I heard a voice.

“Hey,” the voice said. The extremely sexual voice.

It was Bob.

“Oh, hi,” I said turning to him. I hope upon hope that I hadn’t blushed. I still hadn’t got the chance to talk to him; we’d just had a couple of words here and there but nothing much really.

“So you’re going today, I didn’t realise,” he said. “I...I came to get myself a coffee, want one?” He said, his back to me as he rummaged around opening cupboard doors. Surely he knew where everything was.

“I haven’t got time thanks Bob, may be next time I visit, “ I said hoping there would be a next time.

“Oh, right,” he said, his back still to me. What on earth does he think of me, he must think I’m so unapproachable. I hated that he thought that.

“Yeah, I have school tomorrow,” I said. “And I’ve got to decide on a project for the kids to do for me before I go in.” I said lifting up the holdall. Bob turned.

”Here, let me take that,” he said. “I’m presuming that’s your taxi outside.”

“Yeah it is,” I said watching him pick up the heavy holdall so easily. I wanted him to pick me up like that, just lift me up and carry me away somewhere, away from it all.

Just me and him.

“Thanks,” I said following him out of the bus.

He opened the door and shoved the bag in, and then I could hear voices. Everyone was coming to say goodbye the Bob and me moment ended before it had begun.

I whispered to Kitty to please be careful and that the next time I’d see them would probably be the wedding.

Brad. Bob. Brad. Those names were turning around in my mind.

Everyone pecked me on the cheek to say goodbye, even Bob and his beard tickled my cheek and it was like an electric volt zapping through me.

“Thanks everyone, have a great time. See you at the wedding.” I said glancing at them all.

“Yeah, take care Liz, see you soon,” came all the replies as I got into the taxi and got driven off to the airport.

The last face I looked at was Bobs and he was looking directly at me with those beautiful blue eyes I wanted to drown in.

Three Weeks Later

“Kitty is that you?” I said. I could barely talk I was so upset.

“Yes Liz, what is it? Are you OK?” she said. I didn’t know who to phone, Kitty was the only one that would understand. The thing was, it was about 4am where she was and I felt awful calling her at that time.

“Everything all right?” I could hear a voice in the background, Gerard’s voice.

“Not sure Gerard, what is it Liz, do you know what time it is?” She said to me.

“Yeah and I’m sorry its just that. It’s all off. The wedding is off, Brad and I are finished.”

“Oh my god Liz, are you OK?”

“I’m fine. Just shocked. He said he didn’t want to marry me, and that everything had changed between us and to be honest Kitty I agree with him, everything was about the wedding and not about us. I agreed with him, so its over. Its just my family are…disappointed.”

“I’m sorry,” said Kitty but I knew she didn’t like Brad anyway,” but Liz you must come out, come out and be with Gerard and I as soon as you can. I know it’s the school holidays, please come out and stay as long as you want. You’ll love it.” She said.

“OK, I’ll come out. I’ll call up the airline as soon as I finish speaking to you.” I said.

I couldn’t wait to see Gerard and Kitty again; I also couldn’t wait to see Bob because I hadn’t stopped thinking about him and could still see those blue eyes of his looking at me.