‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Truth Hurts

Matt sat down heavily at the kitchen table. He just finished scheduling the venues and booking the hotel rooms, all that was left was to find an opening band. Aside from that, he had a lot of things on his mind.

“What’s wrong, Dad?” Kay asked, taking in her father’s worn appearance. Ever since she got back from New York, her father hasn’t been the same. She hardly sees him anymore since he stays cooped up in his office or in the basement studio.

“Nothing, Sweetie,” he mumbled as he took a large gulp of his coffee.

“Bull. Now tell me what’s wrong, and don’t you dare tell me that it’s something about the tour, because I know it’s not.”

Matt was taken aback by his daughter’s tone.

“Well? Are you going to answer me or not?”

Matt sighed heavily and looked into his daughter’s eyes. “Do you remember the conversation we had after we dropped your uncle off two days ago?”

“Yes, but I don’t-”

“Quiet. This is my time to speak. Ok?”

Kay nodded her head.

“I- I lied to you that day.”

Kay nodded her head again.

“There was someone else…she went through all of us, except for Johnny,” Matt said in a distant tone. His eyes were focused on something else. He smiled as memories flashed across his mind. “Her name was Danni. She was crazy, but we all loved her. We first met when I was in high school. I remember that day all too well. Jimmy and Zacky went to L.A. the night before to “take care of some business” or some bull like that. They brought her home and offered her a bed at Zacky’s. She was completely high…” Matt shook his head. “She disappeared a week later. Jimmy talked to her every now and then, but nothing ever came of it. Then, ‘Chelle and Brian got into this huge fight one night and broke up. Brian went into L.A. and saw her. He, of course, didn’t recognize her. In the months to follow, he and Danni got together. They dated for awhile then broke up. Brian went back to Michelle.”

“And Danni?” Kay inquired.

“We didn’t see her for about seven years. She’s the dancer in the Brompton Cocktail video.”

“Oh, I see. So what happened next?”

“A lot of things that even I’m confused about…but they broke up.”

“Oh.”

“He cheated on ‘Chelle with Danni.”

Oh. I see.”

“Yea.”

“So, I’m confused. Why did he keep going back to her? From the way you put it, they had a lot of fights.”

“They did. They fought almost everyday.”

“But…”

“They were in love. You do stupid things when you’re in love.”

“But, Aunt Michelle?”

Matt sighed. His daughter was too smart for her own good. “Was safe.”

Kay bit her bottom lip and looked away. “There’s more, isn’t there?”

“I never told anyone, but two years after Danni left us for good, I saw her in New York…she had a child with her. A little girl.”

“The teenager that Brian bumped into…”

“Possibly.”

“Danni had blue-grey eyes, didn’t she?”

“Yes.”

Kay nodded her head. “Ok.”

“You can’t tell anyone, Kay. Alright?”

“Why did you tell this to me, Dad? Why didn’t you tell Uncle Brian all those years ago that you saw the love of his life? That she had a child?”

“Because, I didn’t want to see him broken. Danni killed him several times. He killed her several times. Those two were train-wreck lovers. I didn’t want him to destroy his life. And I told you because I hate lying to you, honey.”

“I won’t tell anyone. I promise. I love you, Daddy,” she said as she kissed her father’s cheek. “I’m going over to David’s. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye, Sweetie. Drive safe!” Matt called to his daughter’s retreating back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M SO FRICKIN' EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, gotta go to the new job in a few. Just wanted to post before I leave. Love you, guys!