‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Gone

Brian took a deep breath when he pulled into his driveway several hours later. He tossed his cigarette butt out of the window as he killed the engine. He stayed seated for the longest time, contemplating what he could possibly say that would calm his hysterical wife down and make her think rationally. Lately, all they’ve been doing was fighting. Nothing coming to mind, Brian decided to just wing it, knowing full well that whatever he had to say would fall on deaf ears anyway.

The walk to his front door felt like he was walking the last mile. He could already picture how it would go: he would open the door, Michelle would either throw something at him or curse him out, they would fight, she’d storm up to their room and lock the door, and Brian would spend the night on the couch or in his studio room…just like he always did. All the while their sixteen year old son would cower in his room, begging that they would stop arguing. It happens every time without fail.

Brian cracked the door open and peaked around. Not seeing his wife, heI opened the door wider and walked around. Brian felt like a common thief, sneaking around his own house. When did it get so bad? he thought to himself as he quietly walked into the living room.

“Don’t worry, she’s at Uncle Jimmy’s.” Brian III, more affectionately known as “Bri,” said from the living room.

Brian stood all the way up and plopped down on the couch next to his son. “Thanks, how long has she been gone?”

“She went up to your room when you left. She spent about five minutes up there before coming down with a bag.”

“Oh,” Brian stared at the TV screen, not really comprehending what was going on. Michelle had left once or twice for the night, but that was a long time ago. “Did you already have dinner?”

“Yea, I ordered pizza. I put the leftovers in the oven, if you want any.”

Brian let out a grunt in response. He still couldn’t believe that she left. He wondered if she was gone for good this time. She had threatened it several times before, but she hardly ever followed through with things she said.

“Dad?”

Brian grunted again.

“I don’t think that you’re abandoning us.”

That went straight to Brian’s heart. He looked over at my son, the spitting image of him. Smiling, Brian slung his arm over his son’s shoulders and hugged him close. “Thanks.” He looked back to the screen to see that Bri had been watching Jarhead. For as long as Brian could remember, Bri has been fascinated by the past, especially this century. He was also a whiz at politics and was on top of every bill that was passed and every move the government made. “I’m sorry that we fight so much.” Brian said, trying not to let his voice crack.

Bri’s eyes never left the screen. “Don’t worry about it. I’m used to it.”

“But…you shouldn’t be.”

He shrugged again. “Do you love her?” he asked his father as the credits came up.

“What?”

He locked eyes with his senior. “Mom. Do you love her?”

“Of course I do! What makes you say that?”

He shrugged again. Brian now knew how his parents felt whenever he did the same thing. “Like you said, you two fight all the time. Is there someone else? I promise I won’t tell mom.”

Yes, there is, but I haven’t seen her in years. Brian thought before clearing his throat. “No, there isn’t.”

“Ok,” and it was over with. Not another sound came out of the two men’s mouth for the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG! I'm amazed at the kind of people you meet in lines. Seriously, I met the three coolest people ever- and they live basically right in my backyard! It's ridiculous! Anyways, standing in line for 2 hours straight in the hot sun couldn't have been better (or the horseback ride afterwards- I was so not dressed for that. haha)

Anyways, comment and such

=D Bree