‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Santa Monica

Ellie parked outside of the quaint house that matched the address on the card in her hands. The house was a medium-sized white house with yellow shutters that was right across the street from the beach. It looked to be about two or three bedrooms. Making sure to lock the car behind her, Ellie made her way up to the yard. The “For Sale by owner” sign caught her eye. She quickly pulled out her cellphone and dialed the number.

“Barbara Jones Real Estate, this is Nancy speaking, how may I direct your call?” a chipper voice asked.

“I was interested in looking at the house on the corner of Appian Way and Seaview Terrace. Is there any chance an agent can come out today? I’m only in town for a short time.”

“We can have one out there in about three hours. Do you need directions to the house?”

“No, ma’am, I do not. And thank you for squeezing me in on such short notice.”

“It’s no problem, Miss, we are here to help.”

Ellie ended the call and looked back over to Suzy’s car. Going with her better judgment, she parked the car in the driveway before taking off toward the beach. Ellie had always felt awkward on beaches. It’s not that she hated the way the grains felt between her toes, or the fact that it gets everywhere, or that she was uncomfortable and self-conscious in a bikini (she was an actress, after all). It was more of the fact that she didn’t feel as if she belong there…but, something was different with this beach. Ellie felt comfortable, at home even. It was very odd, seeing as how she had never been to the West Coast before. It was the one place her mother would never invite her to go.

Ellie walked all the way down to the shoreline and let her toes get wet. She looked around at her surroundings, noting the tons of people covered the beach as far as she could see. About a quarter mile to her right was what she could only assume as Santa Monica Pier. Checking her watch, Ellie noted that she had about an hour and fifty minutes before the realtor would arrive. Biting her lip, she decided to go see what all the rave about it was. She quickly set her alarm to go off twenty minutes before she was due back and took off through the maze of people to the pier.

It was crowded, naturally, but Ellie didn’t mind because nothing could be as bad as the streets of NYC- talk about a nightmare. Smiling as she side-passed several small, but very hyper, children and their worn out parents, Ellie took in the sights, smells, and sounds in the carnival-like atmosphere. Ellie loved how there was a sense of family here. In New York, everyone was a stranger, even if you always pass a certain person on the way to work, you don’t acknowledge them. The atmosphere there always seemed so cold and hostile. Everyone is in a hurry, there…but not here. Here, everything is relaxed and everyone has time.

When she made it to the end of the pier, not fifteen minutes later, she took out her packet of cigarettes and lit one. She wasn’t an avid smoker, but did light one up once in a blue moon- either to soothe her nerves or because she was at a social event. It was a little quirk that she had picked up from her mother. Ellie’s eyes watered at the memory of her. Even though she acted like her mother’s death didn’t bother her anymore, that’s all it was- really good acting and playing pretend. There were still nights where she couldn’t get to sleep because every time she closed her eyes, she could see her mother’s face looking back at her.

“Is it everything you thought it would be?” a deep voice from beside her asked.

Ellie jumped and looked over at him. He was very stunning with raven hair that barely brushed past his earlobes. His high cheekbones were very prominent under his dark chocolate colored eyes. He wore a simple black Hurley Tee and dark grey swim trunks. He carried himself like a lady’s man. Judging by his stance, Ellie could tell that he played an instrument- most likely guitar. Ellie had a strange feeling about him- she felt as if she knew him from somewhere.

“And the polite thing would be to respond.” He added with amusement in his voice after she didn’t respond for a few seconds.

“Oh, sorry, what did you say again?” Ellie asked, feeling slightly embarrassed.

“The Quest for fame and fortune, is it everything you thought it would be? I mean, that is what brought you out here isn’t it?” he asked, waving his hand around.

“And why do you think that’s why I came here? Who knows, I could have been born here.” Ellie said with a small smile.

He shrugged and lit up a cigarette. “Well, first off, that’s why everyone comes out to the West Coast. Second, you don’t look nor act like a Cali Girl- which is actually very good. And thirdly, judging by your accent, I’d say that you are a New Yorker.”

“Very observant,” Ellie replied, looking out to the sea.

“Yes, quite, which brings me back to my original question.”

Ellie rolled her eyes and put out her cigarette out in the trashcan/ashtray near me. “I’m looking for my dad, actually.”

“That’s a new one. So, what? Did your old man walk out on you and your mom when you were younger? Wouldn’t you be better off without him?”

“No, my dad doesn’t even know that I exist. My mom left Cali when she was about two months pregnant with me.”

“Oh, that fucking sucks.”

“Yea.”

“Do you at least have his name?”

“Nope. My mom is really secretive…like, really secretive…but I do have an address of a house that my parents bought together…well, it was an engagement present really. And, according to my Uncle, my dad never lived in it.”

He looked down for a minute before locking eyes with Ellie. “Where is it? Maybe I could help you?”

“Why are you so intent on helping me? You don’t even know me.” Ellie asked, her eyes narrowing slightly.

He screwed his face up in thought before suddenly extending his hand. “Hi, I’m Brian, but everyone calls me Bri.” He leaned down and added in a lower voice. “My dad decided that it was a good idea to pass the name down…I actually have “the third” tacked onto my name. Very egotistical of him. I know.”

“Sounds fun…and awfully confusing for family functions.” Ellie placed her hand in his. “I’m Ellie, no numbers attached.”

Bri laughed as they shook hands. “Now that we know each other, I want to help you because A) you look like it, and B) I feel like I know you. God, that sounded stalkerish, but, ya know?”

“Yea, you seem a bit familiar, too, but all the Brian’s I’ve met look nothing like you.”

“Diddo, so, about that address?”

Ellie rolled her eyes dramatically at him before she pulled out the address and handed it to him.

“Oh, this is the McCorman’s house. Man, that place has a habit of ruining newlywed’s marriages. I don’t know any couple that has lived there for more than two years. It’s pretty crazy.”

Ellie shrugged. “Would the names of the buyers be public record?”

“Oh, hell no.” Brian laughed as he handed the card back to her.

Ellie’s shoulders slumped in defeat.

“But, you could technically go into old phonebooks and see what name pops up. It’s a lot cheaper than hiring a private detective.”

Ellie furrowed her brow. “And how would I go about looking in the phone book? There are how many people in this city?”

“Library, and the search engines are so advanced now, that you could technically just use the address.”

“Hrm, backdoor entrance. Very clever. And you would know this, how?” Ellie inquired, one of her eyebrows raised.

“I’m into the politics at the beginning of this century. And, let’s just say, that I’ve uncovered many dirty little secrets from past politicians.”

Ellie laughed. “So am I, but I never heard of using phonebooks. I need to remember that. Thank you.”

“Anytime, I’m an open encyclopedia of random knowledge.”

Ellie laughed as she glanced down at her watch. “Oh, bullocks! I’d love to chat more and stuff, but I have an appointment to get to. Bye.” She quickly said before darting off.

“See you around! Good luck on finding your dad!” Bri called out to her retreating back. She waved her hand behind her as if to say “I heard you” before disappearing all together into the crowd.

“Dude, did you get her number? She’s fucking hot!” David Sullivan asked from beside him. They were “cousins” through their fathers’ band.

Bri shook his head. “Nah, I didn’t get the chance.”

“Sucks,” Christian and Kyle Seward, also known as "the twins" said from Bri’s other side. They were also Bri's "cousins."

“Oh well, let’s go round up the others and get back to HB.” Bri said as he started walking down the pier towards the mainland.

Finding the others was somewhat of a challenge for the trio, given that their cell phones were useless because everywhere you turned, people were screaming and laughing really loud in your ear. Texting was impossible because everyone bumped into everyone. So, the trio was forced to use an archaic method- the human chain. It was actually very amusing and highly effective to everyone who noticed. When the trio found all eight of “the kids”, they split back up into the two cars that they had come in.

Kyle and Christian Seward rode back in Kay Sander’s car. Which left Greg and Jules Baker and, Sam and David Sullivan to ride back in Bri’s car. Yes, these were the children of Avenged Sevenfold, a metal band that was popular in the early 2000’s.

Brian was just finishing up dropping Greg and Jules off at their house when Kay called him.

“What’s up, Princess Shadows?” Bri asked, using a nickname that was fashioned after her father’s stage name.

“You’re staying the night at my house tonight,” she said in one breath without greeting him first.

“Why?”

“I don’t know, Dad just called me.”

Bri narrowed his eyes in confusion. His father always called him if there was a change in plans, not go through all of his friends. “Kaylee, is there something wrong with dad?”

“No!” she squeaked.

Bri wasn’t convinced. Kay had always been a lousy liar. “Kay,” he said in a warning tone as he raced down the streets toward his home.

“Fine! I don’t know what’s wrong, per say, just that Dad called me and wanted me to tell you that you’re going to stay at my house tonight. That’s all I know, I swear! Just…come to the house. I’m sure my dad will explain everything there.”

“Fine. I’ll see you at your house.” He gritted out before taking the road that would take him to the Sanders’ residence. He quickly asked his phone to call his dad. Growling in frustration when he didn’t pick up, Brian asked his phone to call his mother. Still no answer. I pulled into the Sander’s driveway, still steaming in frustration.

Bri was in no mood to talk to anyone when he reached his destination. He slammed the door to his car and marched up the front steps. He let himself into the house, not bothering with the pleasantries of knocking (no one in “the family” did it anyways), and stormed down to the basement studio where his “uncle” normally could be found.

“Bri, what’s up?” Matt asked after he stopped one of his mixes.

“What the fuck is going on with my parents?!” Brian yelled at him. “Neither one of them is picking up their fucking phone! Tell me now! Are they in the hospital? Dead? Tell me, Uncle Matt!”

Matt stood up and slowly walked to the fuming boy. “It’s nothing like that, ok? Don’t worry, they’re not injured. They…just need to work out their issues and they feel that it’s best if you weren’t around.”

Bri was dumbstruck. “What? So, I’m not wanted at my own house?!”

Matt quickly caught the boy before he fled. “No, that’s not what I meant. They love you, they really do. They just wanted to deal with themselves and not have it affect you. They didn’t want you traumatized.”

“Oh, like I’m not right now?! They fight every single day, Uncle Matt…every single fucking day…how is one more fight honestly going to affect me?!” he asked, shaking out of his uncle’s strong hold.

“ Sometimes, parents need to spend time alone so that they can work things out between them.”

“In bed, you mean. This is great, fan-fucking-tastic! If they wanted to screw, then they could have just told me and I would have stayed clear from the house for a few hours!”

“Stop fucking twisting my words around! You know damn well as I that they have major issues to work through! And that trip to New York didn’t help matters at all. She just had to ruin it like always!”

Bri’s breath caught in his throat. “She? You don’t mean Kay, do you?”

Matt’s eyes grew wide as he swallowed a lump in his throat.

“He told me he wasn’t cheating.” Bri seethed. “Was he?!”

“Wait! No, it was probably nothing, just for fuck’s sake wait!”

Bri turned around to face him. “What, then?! Who is she?”

“Danni Patterson. Her name is Danni Patterson. Now, don’t blow this out of proportion-”

“Blow it out of proportion?! Uncle Matt, my family is falling apart. How can I not blow it out of proportion?!

“It could mean absolutely nothing, but she’s one of your dad’s exes,” Matt continued in a soft voice. “She’s a hurricane, blowing through people’s lives only to leave destruction and despair in her wake. She split your parents up a few times.”

Bri could slowly feel himself relax. “Where is she now?”

“No one knows, Kay described someone who could possibly be related to her…so, my guess is New York.”

Bri nodded his head. Thousands of thoughts were flying through his mind. “I’m going to go up to my usual room and sleep for awhile. Call me when dinner’s ready.” he said slowly before ascending the stairs all the way up to “his” room. He passed Kay in the hallway- she looked scared- but he paid her no mind as he slammed the door in her face. He had a lot to think about.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just realized that I never showed you guys what Kay looks like (my bad)...and for all those of you who HAVE read this before: I decided to throw in pictures of the kids...and give ages so that it will be less confusing in the future.

David(16)
Sam(14)
and Kyle(15)
Kay(17)
Bri(16)
Jules (15)
Greg(13)

Yes, I realize that the picture of Bri is a pic of young Syn (Bri's the spitting image of syn)

for future reference:
Papa Gates= Brian Haner
Brian/ Syn= Brian Haner, jr.
Bri= Brian Haner III

get it?

=D Bree

(oh! and thanks to those who have commented!!! It means a lot to me)