‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

What the Hell Happened to Me?

Tiredly, since she hadn’t had her coffee yet, Kay knocked on the door before forcefully entering. She was the only one out of the A7X kids who could effectively get information out of Bri. Kay chuckled at the teenage boy, who was sprawled out over his bed. With quickness and ease, she plugged in his guitar and turned the amp all the way up. She bit her lip to keep from laughing when the loud pop of the amp didn’t even cause him to stir. Smirk on her face, she walked up to the foot of the bed and began shredding on the fret board. She surprised herself with how fast her fingers were moving.

Bri jumped nearly ten feet out of his bed, his hands clasped firmly over his ears as he glared daggers at the girl. Her smirk widened into a mischievous grin as she held out an elongated “B.”

“What the hell was that?!” he yelled as the note faded away.

“Your wake up call. It’s four in the afternoon and everyone’s downstairs, waiting on your lazy ass.”

Grumbling, he laid back down a shove a pillow over his head.

Shrugging her shoulders, Kay let her fingers dance over the fret board to the tune of “Dancing Dead.”

Bri threw the pillow at her when she started singing the lyrics. With a great huff, he made a dramatic walk over to the amp and turned it off in the middle of Kay’s “filler solo.” She didn’t mind, she just kept on playing and singing.

“Kay! Shut the hell up! I’m fucking up and out of the bed!”

She smirked at him and set his guitar aside. “Good, I better see you down there in a few.”

~*~

Last night, Michelle and Brian just talked. They talked about everything in a relatively calm manner (it would be a lie to say that they didn’t fight at all). But, it was good, all around and they really needed it. Brian just hoped that his son would understand.

“The drama queen’s all yours, now,” Kay told Brian breathlessly as she passed him on the staircase.

Slightly confused about what she said, Brian shrugged it off and walked to the room his son always stayed in. He paused at the door, noting the heavy guitar riffs coming from the other side. Knowing full well that his son was lost in his own little world, Brian slowly opened the door. He lay on his back on the bed, his guitar resting comfortably on his stomach. Brian immediately noticed the way that Bri stored his tension- in his shoulders and jaw…the same place as he. It was then that Brian realized why the guys had always called Little Bri a clone. It wasn’t because of how much the two looked alike- that was obvious- but because of how he acted and reacted. He was Brian’s son through and through. The little bit of Michi that Brian had thought was in him didn’t exist. It was eerie for Brian to look at him with this new information. Like, looking in the mirror and not recognizing your own reflection.

“The door doesn’t need you to help it stay up, ya know.” He mumbled sarcastically, the tune he was playing now changing to “Girl that I Know.”

“Thank you for the invitation,” Brian replied sarcastically back, it was the official language in the “Gates” household. Brian walked in and sat on the bed next to his son.

“So, did you and mom straighten out your shit?”

“For the most part, yes. And, I’m sorry about not telling you earlier. It was very rude of us to just assume that you would stay over here without an explanation.”

He scoffed as he increased the tempo and played faster.

Temper rising, Brian slammed his palm on the strings, forcing his son to stop. He sat straight up and glared at his father. “What the hell is up with you? I swear you have more fucking mood swings than your mom did when she was pregnant with you!”

He stood up and balled his fists.

“What? You want to punch me? Go right ahead, you won’t be the first. Just tell me what’s got you all wound up, then I swear, you can nail one on me.” Brian didn’t think that he had respected his dad, affectionately known as “Papa Gates,” more than he did now. In the back of Brian’s mind, he thanked his father for putting up with all of his shit and silently prayed that he could muster up the strength and coolness he knew that he would need.

“You’re never home. Where do you go? Out with that whore of yours? What did Matt call her- Danni?”

“Don’t you dare talk about something you know nothing about!” Brian roared at the mention of his ex.

“Then tell me about her!”

“You were the one playing the song I wrote about her!” Brian steamed.

Bri’s face fell for a moment.

“Yea, that’s right. I was writing about the time when Hurricane Danni ripped through my life, leaving nothing but questions and heartbreak behind. Give me something else. Come on, hit me with your best shot!” Brian had learned early on, that, when provoked, stubborn-ass people like himself will actually unravel and break down in front of you, if only for a second, and they show you their true colors.

“You always fight with mom. You care more about the band and your friend’s kids more than you care about me! I swear, if Kay gets a broken heart, or Chris gets another injury, you’re immediately at their side! What about me?! I’m supposedly yours!”

“I don’t-”

“Yes, you do! Remember two nights ago? When mom left for the night?! The entire time we were on the couch together, I was hoping that you would ask me how my day went, or how I felt, or if I ever figured out what was wrong with my seven string! I tried to be everything for you! I tried so hard to please you! Hell, I even became you!”

Brian was speechless. How could he think those things? I’ve always been proud of him, Brian thought. He was about to say something, but the door opened.

“What the hell is going on between you two?” Val, Matt’s wife, asked as she burst through the door. She looked between the father and son.

Bri’s nostrils were still flaring and his fists were still tightly balled by his sides. His body was rigid and unmoving.

“This doesn’t concern you, Val.” Brian said in a calm voice.

“Bullshit! In case you haven’t noticed, you’re screaming in my house!” Val yelled.

“What the hell is going on?! Brian?!” Michelle asked as she stood beside her twin.

“Shut the hell up, Danni!” Brian yelled, shocked at who he saw instead. “Baby, I didn’t-”

Mich’s face contorted in shock. Her mouth hung agape and her eyes watered. “D-Danni?” she stuttered out before she ran downstairs.

“Nice going, ass hole,” Val said venomously before following her twin.

When did things get so fucked up?] Almost as if he were in a dream, Brian ran down the stairs, out of the house, and to his Escalade. He took off without a clue of where he was heading.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?