‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Say Anything

Michelle held in her gasp of surprise when Zacky introduced the opening band. Sure, they were ragged and well…looked like she and her friends did way back when, but, to Michelle, they looked like they had everything together- like they knew exactly what they wanted in life and how to get it. The boys didn’t interest her too much. Neither did the smaller of the two girls. It was the taller of the two girls that raised the hairs on the back of Michelle’s neck. She looked so familiar. Michelle knew that she had seen the girl’s face before. It wasn’t until Bri came out and stood behind the girl that everything clicked in Michelle’s head. The two teenagers could pass for fraternal twins. There was no doubt in Michelle’s mind that they weren’t related…and she already had a suspicion as to who the girl’s mother was. Michelle had always envied those eyes. Who wouldn’t? They were absolutely stunning and one of a kind- well, now two of a kind.

Michelle put on her best smile and extended her hand to the newcomers. “It’s great to meet you. I’m Michelle.” Brian tensed next to his wife, but she ignored him.

Ellie smiled back at Michelle and took her hand. “Ellie, but you probably already knew that.” Michelle was surprised at how strong the girl’s grip was. “It’s so nice to get this opportunity. You don’t know how surprised and happy we are that we won.” Ellie grinned, looking back at her band members for confirmation.

Zacky chuckled from somewhere to Michelle’s right. “Don’t mention it. You guys were the best. Now, let’s eat! I’m starving.”

Everyone laughed and assembled into a chaotic line to get their food. The two bands (and family) spent the majority of the next hour just eating and getting to know one another. Stereotypical Youth was perfect to open for the guys- they got along with everyone and had the exact same sense of humor as the older band. Much to everyone’s surprise, Ellie and Bailey were keeping up with the comebacks more than the guys combined. Michelle was quickly learning that she would be surprised by everything that they did… they were so similar, yet so unique at the same time.

Michelle did not fail to catch the evil glares her husband was giving to Ellie, who was across the lawn with Ryan, Zacky, and a few of the kids. Discreetly, she placed a hand on his knee and told him to stop with her eyes. Brian gave his wife a half-assed smile and started shoving food into his mouth. Michelle shook her head and continued her conversation with Mark, Matt, and Val.

“So, how was growing up in New York? I bet it was intense.” Val commented.

“I actually don’t know. I grew up in Europe with my parents. We moved to New York when I was in the equivalence of the sixth grade. I met and Ellie through her mom in and her dance company. Then, at school, I met Ryan and Bailey. I didn’t know then that they were also heavily into the theatre scene.”

“Theatre?” Matt questioned, shooting a look to his wife.

“Yea, Danielle, Ellie’s mom, owned a theatre house in NYC. It also housed a dance company and performance art school.” Mark explained.

At the mention of Danielle’s name, Brian’s head shot up. He shared a glance with Matt.

“Danielle? Danielle Patterson?” Brian questioned with some hope in his voice.

“Yea, how did you-”

Before Mark could finish his question, Michelle got up and ran into the house, her hand covering her mouth.

Mark watched her leave, a confused expression on his face. “Did I say something wrong?” he asked cautiously.

“I’ll talk to her,” Brian said, getting up.

“I’m coming with you. Knowing you, you’re going to say something stupid,” Val said, getting up and following her brother-in-law into the house.

Mark jacked his thumb in their direction. “What was that about?”

Matt sighed. “Danni is Brian’s ex-fiancé.”

“Ok?”

“Meaning that Ellie is most likely Brian’s daughter.”

“Really? That’s just….wow.”

Matt furrowed his brow. “You mean, Ellie doesn’t know?”

Mark shook his head. “No. Danielle’s always told us that she didn’t know Ellie’s father. That it was a one-night stand…or a rape.”

“Rape?” Matt questioned, leaning closer to Mark.

Mark scratched the back of his neck. “Yea, well, she never could keep her story straight. At one point, Ellie was an immaculate conception, but Kale and Jared quickly squashed that lie.”

~*~

Val and Brian found Michelle in an upstairs guest room. She was sitting on the bed, trying to wipe the tears off of her face as quickly as they came. She was being rather unsuccessful at it.

“Val, can you leave me alone with my wife?” Brian asked.

“But-” Val protested.

“Valary, now,” Brian stated in an authoritative tone as he gave Val ‘the look.’

“Michi, I’ll be outside if you need me, ok?”

Michelle didn’t respond to her twin sister.

Once Val was outside, Brian walked over to his wife and kneeled down in front of her. “What’s wrong, Michi?” he asked softly while rubbing her knees.

She flinched at the physical contact and moved further away from Brian.

Sighing, Brian sat on the edge of the bed while his wife leaned against the headboard. “Michelle, please say something, anything,” he said turning to face her. His eyes were wide and pleading. “Please.”

Michelle looked down at her feet and fought for a moment. “I know who you cheated on me all those years ago. I’ve known all along.”

“What?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Birthday, Matthew!

thank you everyone for the comments!

=D Bree