‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

She rolled her eyes at him and scoffed. “You again?”

He raised up my hands as if in surrender. “Look, I’m not trying to start any trouble.”

She rolled her eyes at him again as she put a glass away. “Whatever, what can I get for you?”

“I’ll take a Rum and Coke. Easy on the Coke.”

She put a glass on the table and spun the two ingredients through her fingers before filling the glass to the brim. “That’s $15.”

“A little expensive.” He said as he handed over the money.

“House can change the price according to the customer’s attitude.” She recited before getting another order.

Her fiestiness made him smile. He sidled over to where she was.

“What’s say I take you away from here?”

She gave the other customer her order before turning back to him.

“Do you even know my name, hot-shot?”

“I will when you tell me it.”

She rolled her eyes and scoffed again. “Like that will ever happen.”

“DANNI! Phone for you! Make it quick!” A blonde that looked as if she were in her early thirties yelled.

“Who is it?” thebartender Danni asked.

“Derek. Hurry up, we’re about to get busy.”

“So, you’re name is Danni. That’s nice.” He said with a smile as he gently rubbed the brim of his glass with his finger.

Danni shot him a glare and a finger before going through a small door. She came back a few minutes later, red in the face and looking completely pissed off. She whispered in the middle-aged woman’s ear.

The other woman’s face twisted in fury, but she bit down her remark and slowly nodded her head. The younger breathed out a sigh of relief before darting out the back door. Setting down his empty glass, Brian quickly followed her into the dimly lit alley. She ran up a set of fire escape stairs and disappeared. Grumbling under his breath, he lit up a cigarette and leaned against the brick wall. Hopefully, she wouldn’t take too long.

She came back down about five minutes later, barely clothed with tons of makeup on her face and three inch heels on her feet. She crammed her keys into her purse as she flew down the escape stairs and into the night. Brian ran after her, wanting some answers. She ran for a block before he finally caught up to her and spun her around.

“What the hell do you want? You’re going to make me late.” She panicked.

“Easy now, I just want some answers.”

She rolled her eyes and said, “Well, you’re not getting any,” before she continued to walk down the street.

“You don’t have to do this, you know.” He said once he caught up to her again.

She scoffed as they waited for the light to turn.

“I’m serious!” he exclaimed

“Do you have $500 on you?” she asked. Her tone was mostly flat, with a little desperation.

“What? No.”

“Then don’t talk to me. If you don’t have the money, then I don’t have the time.” She said before walking off, leaving me with Brian with his mouth hanging wide open.


Brian woke up in a cold sweat and looked around. He was in his room with Mich draped over my torso. After slowing his heart rate down, he gently got out from underneath his wife and headed over to the wet bar. He needed something strong to rid his mind of the memories. He grabbed a bottle of JD and went to the back porch. He took a long swig from the bottle after he plopped down in one of the recliners.

She ran through his apartment door, red in the face and gasping for air. He laughed at her and looked at the clock on the wall. “Baby, you’re twenty minutes early. Why were you rushing?”

She put up her pointer finger, signaling for him to give her a minute. She bent over and placed her head on her knees, her arms were wrapped tight around the back of her knees to give her support.

“Baby, I know I’m sexy, but you don’t have to lose your breath every time you see me,” Brian teased.

She flipped him off and walked past him. “Actually, I need to use your shower. The one at the House has finally decided to die.”

“You look fine.” Actually, she looked breath-taking, but he wasn’t going to say that because then it would start a fight…they were a pretty fucked up couple.

She turned around and glared at him. “Trust me, I need one.”

Knowing that look all too well, Brian put his hands up in defeat. “Fine then, we’ll talk after you get out.”

She shrugged and disappeared for ten minutes before coming out in just a towel. “It’s casual dress, right?” she asked in the doorway between the living room and the bathroom.

Brian almost dropped his can of coke. “Yea, just wear everyday clothes. My friends won’t care.”

She nodded again and disappeared into his room. Brian quickly followed her and wrapped his arms around her waist before kissing her bare shoulders and neck. He tried to ignore the hint of men's cologne on her, and thought how nice it was of her to try to cover it up.

“Continue to do that, and I say we blow off your friends,” she said, turning around in his arms. Her smile dropped. “What’s wrong?”

He quickly let go of her and crossed to the other side of the room. “Nothing, you should get dressed.”

“Am I hearing this right? Brian Haner is actually passing up sex? Someone call the press, please.” She said in a teasing voice, her exposed breasts bouncing with every laugh.

“Danni, just get dressed, okay?” Brian pleaded.

Still looking at him, she quickly put on her pants and bra before walking over to him. She slid her arms around his neck and started to play with the hair at the back of his neck. “Brian, what’s wrong? Two seconds ago, you were as happy and as horny as can be. What’s changed?”

Brian unhooked her arms from around his neck and put them in front of her. “I don’t know how to say this…”

“Say what?”

“I- I don’t know how I feel about smelling him on you.”

She flipped her hands and tangled her fingers with his. She let a gentle smile adorn her features. “Baby, it doesn’t mean a thing. I promise. There is nothing for you to be jealous over. It’s my job- and before you contradict me, hear me out-”

Damn, she knows me too well, Brian thought.

“It’s my job and, until I make my break, I will continue to do it.”

“I can support you.”

“No, you can’t, Brian…the band needs that money more than I do. Okay? Now, let’s drop this subject, let me put a shirt on, and we’ll go visit your friends.”

“This conversation is far from over.”

“I know, but at least it’s over with for now.”


Brian woke when he heard a loud clang. Grumbling to himself when he noted that the empty bottle of JD that he was holding was now on the patio deck, he picked it up and went inside, making sure to discard the clear bottle as he passed the trash can.

“Damn memories, when are you just going to go away and stop haunting me?” he muttered under his breath as grabbed a pair of pants and shirt from the laundry room before walking out the door, keys in hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
=D Bree