‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Twilight Zone theme

All throughout dinner, Ellie was waiting for the Twilight Zone theme to be cued. To Ellie, sitting down at the dinner table with the family was like sitting down in a Stepford residence. Uncomfortable and fake. Michelle had a pleasant smile on the entire time, and, since Ellie was sitting right next to her, Michelle kept touching her on the shoulder and laughing at everything she said. Ellie felt weird and uncomfortable. Brian was trying to get Ellie into every conversation and Bri was giving her glares every chance he could get. Ellie could have sworn that Bri was just as bipolar, if not worse, than she was.

“So, how is recording going?” Michelle asked over dessert.

“It’s good,” Ellie replied. “All we need to do is record the last two songs and work on the track listing.”

“Oh, that was really fast,” Michelle commented.

Ellie shrugged. “It’s what happens when you record single-takes.”

“I see. And what about when tour ends? What will you do then?”

Ellie shuffled some more tiramisu into her mouth before responding. “I’m attending NYU in the fall. You know, make Mother proud and all that,” she gave Michelle a polite smile. “This was very good. Thank you for inviting me over. Now, if you don’t mind, I need to get back to the house.”

“I’ll walk you to the door.” Brian offered, getting up.

Ellie smiled and nodded politely as Brian led her to the door.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Brian smiled. “Thanks for coming.”

Ellie kept her forced smile up. “It was noth-” Ellie’s chest clenched. She grabbed onto the nearest support- the banister rail- to keep herself up. She stared out into space. She couldn’t place herself. She was dizzy and there was a strange buzzing in her head. She could barely see Brian mouthing words to her.

“Ellie?” He asked as she came to her sense. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Sorry, but I have to go.” she replied, pushing away from him

“Ellie, wait,” he said, grabbing her arm. “What happened back there?”

“Panic attack. I get them occasionally. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine,” she said with a forced smile.

“Why?”

Ellie shrugged. “They just happen. Can I go now?” she asked, nodding towards his hand on her arm. She wasn't going to spill one of her biggest secrets to him. She didn'twant need his sympathy.

He quickly let go and rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m sorry. It’s just-”

“I know.”

“You know?”

Ellie nodded her head. “Yea, you were just worried. Don’t be.”

“Oh,” he said, as if he were slightly disappointed.

“I also know the reason why you invited me here.” When he didn’t answer, she continued. “You wanted me to feel comfortable with your family…see how great we would look together. It’s never going to work, Brian. I don’t belong here…with them.” Ellie said as she walked down the steps.

“Well, you can’t shoot a guy for trying. Is it so wrong to want to get to know your own daughter? Especially when you’ve missed her first eighteen years of life?” Brian pleaded from his top step.

Ellie pursed her lips and looked back at him. “No, but it is wrong to push something like this on her.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You keep saying that.”

“It’s because I want you to believe it. I wasn’t lying when I told you that I wanted to get to know you. I really do. I’ll do anything.”

Ellie cocked her head at his statement. “That’s a dangerous thing to say…but I kind of understand what you’re going through.”

“You do?”

“Yea, I do. See you tomorrow, Brian.”
♠ ♠ ♠
the oddest thing happened today. I was reading the chapter in HP7 where Harry goes into Snape's memories via the Pensieve, when, all of a sudden, I heard his voice. Finding this a little weird (and wondering why he was in my head) I looked up to see that the HP5 movie was playing on my TV. *hangs head* that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

=D
Bree

and, I remember this chapter being A LOT longer....oh well