Hotel Bella Muerte

Hotel Bella Muerte

“You sure we won’t get caught?” Bob Bryar whispered, as he slowly walked towards the entrance of the abandoned hotel.

“Positive. Haven’t you heard the rumors in the short time you’ve been in New Jersey, Bob? No one comes near here anymore, especially after the murders a few years ago,” his friend, Frank Iero replied. “Besides, it’s haunted, remember?”

Bob froze after he heard his friend utter the word 'haunted.'

"What do you mean, haunted?" Bob asked, his voice shaky.

"Around the mid-20s, when this place was still in use, a newlywed couple came on their honeymoon. A few days later, the new bride…disappeared. No one knew what happened to her or where she went. And she was never found. A few years later, though, her body, or what was left of it, was discovered in the attic, hidden in a secret room made of concrete that resembled a tomb," Gerard Way, a friend of the other two, explained, walking beside them as they neared the front door.

"You didn't finish the story, Gerard, keep going," Mikey Way, Gerard's younger brother, said, grinning.

"I will. Hold on, Mikey. Anyway, after her body was discovered, strange things started happening around the hotel. Doors opened on their own accord, the piano that was located in the parlor started playing when no one was around it. Things of that nature. It finally got to the point where one of the guests was murdered. And the strange thing about it was…the guy had an uncanny resemblance to the murdered bride's husband."

"M-m-murdered?" Bob stuttered stopping dead in his tracks and staring wide-eyed at Gerard.

"Bet you don't get these kinds of things in Chicago, huh, Bob," Ray Toro asked from where he suddenly appeared next to Bob.

"No. We don't."

"Well, what are we waiting for, let's go inside, shall we?" Frank asked, grabbing the doorknob and pushing open the door.

"I'm not sure about this." Bob said hesitantly, peering around Frank and staring at nothing but darkness.

"Oh, don't be a baby and get in," Gerard said, pushing him inside.

***

"Let's go to the attic first," Mikey suggested, heading towards the stairs.

"Uh…how about, let's not?" Bob asked, pulling out his small flashlight.

"Bob, put that up!" Frank hissed, trying to snatch it away.

"No."

"You're ruining the effect," Gerard pointed out.

"I actually want to see where I'm going. And I don't care about the damn effect being ruined."

***

"What the fuck was that?" Bob asked, whirling around. The others had led him to the attic and showed him the tomb where they had found the bride. "Guys?" He looked around frantically, and his eyes widened in horror. "What the fuck?"

"What are you doing here? Disturbing my rest?" a woman in a billowing white dress asked, her voice echoing throughout the attic.

"Who are you?" he managed to ask.

"I think you already know." She took a step towards him…he took one back.

"Do you know Jared?" she asked, her face softening a bit before contorting in anger.

"Jared? No. Who is he?"

:"The bastard who killed me. The bastard who said the loved me and then betrayed me."

"You're husband? Wait, Gerard mentioned this. You're the bride?" Bob asked in amazement.

"The murdered bride." She cocked her head to the side. "Your friends are looking for you. Tell them what really happened to me. Tell them it was him, Jared, not the one they sent to prison and the one who is still there." She slowly started to fade away.

"They won't believe me."

She pulls a ring off of her finger and hands it to him. He expected it to go straight through his hand but was surprised when he felt it land solidly in his outstretched hand. "Use that as proof. Everyone in New Jersey has heard of that ring but have never seen it." With that, she disappeared.

***

"Bob, there you are! Where'd you go," Frank exclaimed as he saw Bob emerge from the hotel.

Bob didn't answer right away. Just held out his hand, revealing a gold ring with a black stone in the center surrounded by diamonds.

They all stared at the ring, jaws dropped. "Where did you get that?" Gerard finally asked.

"She was murdered. By her husband," Bob said, turning and gazing up at the attic window, where he saw a lone figure, clad in white, looking down at him. "That was why that guy was murdered a few years ago. Because he looked like her husband, the man who killed her. It wasn't the man who's serving time right now. He's innocent and always has been."