HOWL

Afraid of the dark.

Remember when you were a little kid and you we’re scared shitless of the dark?
Of the things that go bump at night?
Of the monster lurking under your bed?
And maybe you would get so scared you would scream for mommy… but sometimes
you would get so scared you wouldn’t even dare to utter a sound and just closed your eyes hard and pleaded silently for it to go away as you wetted your bed, paralyzed with fear.
The thing with being afraid of the dark, of the unknown, is, the longer it remains unseen and silent, hidden in the shadows, the more scared you get.
It builds up, slowly, slowly, very slowly, like a spider knitting a web and you never know when it’s going to come but you can’t stop waiting for it, driving yourself mad with delusions about it.
This is just like that.

I’m staring at the same spot Mister Way is and I know there’s someone or something there.
I can hear it’s hoarse breathing.
And I can feel it staring directly at me.
But maybe I can’t and I’m imagining I can see it and hear it.
Holding my breath is not hard right now, I wouldn’t dare to breath if I could.

Something bad is going to happen.
It’s too quiet.
Just like the wedding.
It’s too damn quiet.

“You can’t kill me anymore Gerard.” A hoarse whisper comes out from the darkness and breaks the harsh silence.
Then a low growl like a chuckle and a set of white, sharp teeth that form a crooked smile. It’s almost human.

Then it disappears again before something black rolls into the light towards us

It’s a dead crow.

A shiver travels down my spine.
Mister Way smiles pleased.
His smile is perverse.
Not breathing becomes hard instantly.
I hear it’s footsteps approaching. It’s coming out.

Just like when you were a kid, the thing lurking the darkness was not as scary as you imagined it.
A forgotten sock.
The shadow of a tree by the window.
A discarded doll.
Not a monster, not a ghost, not a vampire.

A coyote comes into the light.