Gatophobia

They go, 'Meow.'

I looked at its piercing emerald eyes. It just stared at me, sat there, and it stares didn't dare move from me. I moved slowly to my right, its gaze followed. I gulped and clenched my two hands together. It moved closer to me and I stood there, eyes wide open. And then it stopped and sat back down, it was mere inches away from me. I just stood there, my breathing got heavier and I could feel all the pressure whilst staring at this animal. It licked its paw, still staring at me. I started tearing and then everything went black. I held myself together and in less than five seconds, the room went bright... And I was surrounded my cats, everywhere.

I woke up screaming and breathing heavily. I held my sides and I was sweating. I looked at my clock and it was only two in the morning. I laid back down and stared at my ceiling. The image of the first cat appeared and I shook my head. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to think of something else. Then, the image of the cat appeared again and I quickly opened my eyes. I rubbed my temples and let out an aggravating sigh. "I need sleep," I said.

I turned and tried to concentrate on something else, but the image of the cat kept haunting me. Aggravated enough, I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom outside my room. It was dark and I walked towards the bathroom. I hit the switch and was met by a cat. I gasped and my eyes widened. It didn't move, but those piercing eyes looked at me. I moved slowly to the other side and stared at it. But then I figured it was just a toy and I kicked it. It fell to the floor and let out a meow. I shivered and headed towards the medicine cabinet. My mother's pills were no where to be found...

"Looking for this?" I turned around and saw my dad against the bathroom door, holding mother's medicine. I gulped and shook my head. My dad scoffed. He walked towards me and put his hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lied. "I just went in here to... Wash my face." My dad knew I was lying and he held onto my chin. He looked at me intently and smiled.

"Daddy knows when something is wrong with his princess." He spoke, sympathy in his eyes. "Now spill."

"I've been having... Night terrors, that's all daddy." I said.

"Is that why you've been coming in here in the middle of the night, stealing your mom's sleeping pills, and waking up groggy?" I didn't respond and my dad hugged me.

"Nothings wrong. Just night terrors." I said. My dad let go and he looked at me.

"No more pills, okay? It frightens me that you take pills." I nodded my head. "Promise me?" I raised my right hand and mouthed 'I promise'. "Okay, I'll tuck you in your bed now."

I looked at my dad and said, "Dad, I'm fifteen... I can..."

But my dad cut me off and said, "March." And pointed towards the door. I smiled, feeling a little glad that my dad would tuck me in. It might make me sleep better and forget about those... Cats.

"Okay, there you go, sleep tight honey." My dad said and kissed my forehead. He was about to go when I grabbed his arm. "Yes?"

"Daddy," I said, tears forming around my eyes. "I'm scared of cats." My dad looked at me, he was probably going to laugh, but instead he sat on my bed. I looked at him and he stroked my hair. "I-I'm scared of cats, daddy. Always have been."

"Oh sweetie," my dad said. "I know." And he wiped the tears away. I didn't respond. "Ever since you were little, your mom and I figured you were scared of them because of the one incident."

"What incident?" I said, sitting upright.

"When you were a one year old, you were scratched by a cat." He said and I looked at him.

"I-I don't remember this... But, I don't have any scars on my arms, legs, or face."

"You have these scars on your back, sweetie." My dad said and I choked. "You see, we were at a neighbor's house one day and you were playing with the house cat. Your mother and I were talking to Mr. Timmons inside the kitchen. But we could still see you by the kitchen window. We really didn't know what happened, but when we heard you scream and cry, we all rushed out. We just saw you, laying on your stomach, crying. Your mother picked you up and your sun dress, the back side, was torn and bloody." I started crying.

"Wha-what happened next?"

"Well, the scratches weren't severe, there were a lot and you were bleeding... But that left you an emotional scar. Ever since that tragedy, you've been deathly scared of cats." My dad held out his hand and stroked my cheeks. "We tried everything for you to stop being scared of them, but nothing worked."

"Not-nothing?" My dad shook his head. "So I'm scared of cats for the rest of my life?"

"Honey, you can conquer it. It's all up to you, but you were one-years-old and that is a very traumatizing event to happen to you." My dad hugged me and whispered in my ear, "You don't have to conquer it all at once." He let go and he looked at me, smiling. "Little by little you can face your fear."

"But what if I can't?"

"It's all right if you can't. It doesn't change who you are." My dad said and he wiped the tears away from my cheeks. "You're still my princess."

"They're scary looking too." I whispered.

"I know, I know." My dad cooed. "Now go to bed - you have school tomorrow." He kissed my forehead and I laid back down.

"But what if I get night terrors again?"

"You won't, I promise." My dad tucked me in tightly and I closed my eyes. I may not have conquered my fear in one night, but I will face it little by little.