Nothing Lasts Forever

No Reason

Genevieve sat in Adam’s condo, wondering what Adam had planned for Nikki and Patrick. He had said he was going to have some fun with them, and she had no idea what exactly that meant. “Adam, come on, tell me what you’re going to do!” Genevieve begged again.

“I already told you that you’ll have to wait and see,” he said with a smile as he sat down on the couch beside her, turning his attention to the television set, which was showing SportsCenter.

Genevieve rolled her eyes, as the doorbell rang. “Who is that?” she asked, looking over at the door.

“Well, let’s just see,” Adam laughed as he made his way to the door. He opened it up, allowing Nikki to enter. “Hey, Nik,” Adam smiled, giving his sister a hug.

“Hey, Adam,” Nikki said, returning the hug as she looked around the room. “Hey, Gen. What are you doing here? I thought this was going to be some bonding time,” she joked with Adam.

“Well, if you’d like me to leave,” Genevieve said, feigning being offended, as she grabbed her crutches that were lying next to her.

“Of course not!” Nikki told her, sitting down next to her. “I’m just a little surprised that Adam invited me over if you two were hanging out. I wouldn’t want to interrupt anything, if you know what I mean,” she said, wiggling her eyebrows.

“Um, it’s a little difficult having sex with Adam with a broken leg,” Genevieve told her, figuring that if Nikki was going to bring it up, she might as well go along with her.

“Ewww!” Nikki squealed. “I do not need to think about you and my brother having…you know!” she exclaimed, and Genevieve laughed at how alike the two siblings were.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought about my sister,” Adam muttered under his breath, so only Genevieve could hear him. Genevieve looked up at him with a smile on her face.

The doorbell rang again, and Genevieve asked, “How many people are you planning on inviting?”

Adam ignored her question, answering the door. Patrick walked inside, and Genevieve’s eyes went wide. “Where’s Bolly?” Adam asked Patrick, referring to their teammate Dave Bolland, as he shut the door behind him. Genevieve gave Adam a confused look as he sat back down next to her.

“Um, he said he’d meet me here. I don’t know if he’s left home yet,” Patrick answered before turning around to look at Genevieve and Nikki, who was looking away from Patrick. “What’s going on anyways?” Patrick asked, turning back around to Adam.

Adam walked over to the table, grabbing the video camera that was sitting on top. “Well, they wanted me to do a video for the website again, since the last one was such a hit,” he told them, referring to the video he made about him and Patrick pranking their teammates. “They wanted something for Valentine’s Day.”

“So, you invited me and Bolly along?” Patrick asked with a laugh.

“Well, you two and Gen and Nik,” he said turning around and pointing towards the two girls, who smiled at Patrick. “Along with my next door neighbor, Diana,” he added casually.

Patrick gave him a questionable look. “Okay?”

Genevieve looked over at Adam. “Oh my God! You made this a three-way date, didn’t you?” she asked him, and Patrick and Nikki instantly looked over at Adam.

“So, what?” Adam asked her. “They’re all single, right?” he questioned, eyeing Patrick and Nikki.

“Yeah,” they said quickly, nodding their heads, as the doorbell once again rang.

Adam got up, opening the door, seeing Diana and Dave standing on the other side. “Hey, guys, come on in.” He quickly filled them in on what was going on. “So, Diana, this is Patrick Sharp, your date for the evening. And, Dave, you already know Nik, but she’ll be your date,” he finished with a smile.

Nikki’s head quickly spun around to stare at Patrick. Adam noticed and asked, “Hey, Nik, is everything alright?”

“Yeah,” she said with a small smile. “Perfect.”

They made their way to the restaurant, getting seated at a table in the corner. Genevieve sat down first, with Adam sitting on one side of her and Nikki on the other side. Dave sat down next to Nikki, leaving Diana and Patrick to sit in the empty chairs. Nikki looked up, seeing Patrick sitting across from her. He gave her a small smile, which didn’t go unnoticed by Adam and Genevieve.

Throughout the dinner, Adam did little things to make Nikki and Patrick uncomfortable, such as comment on what a cute couple Patrick and Diana, and he could tell that Nikki and Patrick were getting more annoyed with each passing comment.

Adam decided to try his hardest to see if they would crack. He started talking about all these bed and breakfast places that Patrick and Diana could go to. “And, there’s this cabin up in Wisconsin that my parents own. I’m sure they’d love to let you two use it. I mean…” he began.

“Adam!” Nikki exclaimed.

“What? You know Mom would love to have someone use it. And, it’s not like you’re going to use it anytime soon,” Adam told her, just wanting her to admit that she and Patrick were going out. “So, I figured Diana and Patrick could use it.”

“This is their first date!” Nikki exclaimed, raising her voice. “It’s not like they’ve even been together for more than two hours, and you’re telling them to rent a freaking cabin!”

“Nikki, why are you getting so upset about this?” Adam asked innocently.

“Adam,” Genevieve said warningly.

“What? You’d think she has a crush on Patrick or something. Seriously, Nik, why are you getting so angry?” Adam asked again.

Nikki looked over at Patrick, who just said, “Yeah, there’s really no reason why you should be this upset. It’s obvious that Adam’s joking.”

“Yeah, there’s really no reason I should be upset,” Nikki said, standing up, causing everyone to stare at her. “It’s not like we’re dating or anything. It’s not like we’ve been dating for the last four months. It’s not like I’m completely in love with you or anything!” she screamed, causing everyone in the restaurant to turn around and look at her. When Patrick didn’t respond, Nikki proceeded to storm out of the restaurant.

“Damn it, Adam! I told you this was a bad idea,” Genevieve said, grabbing her crutches, and trying to catch up to Nikki, who wasn’t slowing down. She continued calling Nikki’s name, but she didn’t even turn around.

At the table, Adam just stared at Patrick in shock. Did Nikki just say that they had dated for four months? Did she just say she was in love with him? What had he done?

“What was that?” Dave finally spoke up.

“Yeah,” Diana said. “What’s going on between the two of you?” she asked Patrick.

Adam continued to stare at Patrick, waiting for an answer. Patrick looked back at him. “Well, I guess it’s time to come clean,” he began. “Nikki and I have been dating for four months. But, I’m thinking that just ended,” he said sadly.

“What are you doing sitting here?” Adam asked in disbelief. “Go after her!” he screamed. Patrick looked at him in surprise. He had figured that once Adam had found out about him and Nikki, he would have been angry, not encouraging him to go after her. “Go!” Adam said again, and Patrick ran out of the restaurant, trying to catch up with Nikki.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'm sorry it's taken so long for this chapter, and I'm sorry if it's terrible. I think this was the 7th time I've re-written it (or maybe the 8th, I can't remember!)

Well, let me know what you think!