Status: Work in Progress (i.e., updated occasionally)

Boy Proof

Cafeteria Blues

The worst thing about not having Devin around was, get this, not having Devin around. Since I had become his best friend a year ago, I had grown accustomed to his laugh, his being, his overall aura. We were compatible almost to the point of being identical twins. Sometimes we would even say the same thing at the exact same time. Surely that had to mean something.

His absence was even more pronounced at lunchtime. This particularly vexed me because this school year I didn't have lunch with him at all. If I was so used to him not being with me at lunch then noting his absence surely meant I was thinking about him more than I should.

"I made a 72 on my economies test," exclaimed Shaun as he threw himself into the chair to my left. "I can't believe it."

"I can," I said automatically. Despite my current crisis with Devin, I fell into my everyday existence. I turned to face my remaining friend, absolutely determined not to lose him too.

Shaun made his normal smacking sound with his mouth. "You tried me hard."

As he shook his head at my remark, his long blond bangs fell into his large blue eyes, and he pushed them back quickly. Although I had just insulted Shaun's intelligence, a smile occupied his friendly face.

Everyone loved Shaun. How could they not? He made people feel good about themselves. If you did something embarrassingly stupid, Shaun had a story to up yours and make you come out like a genius. Plus, he genuinely was a nice person.

"I know. Sorry." I sipped some of my soda and plunged into retaining my only other friendship. "So why exactly did you make a 72?"

"Because Mahoney's an idiot. And he hates me."

I shook my head. "Sorry, but I don't think you can honestly blame a near failure on a teacher. An inability to teach properly, sure. But as for making you fail, no."

Shaun didn't know how to respond to that statement. He never really did know what to say to me. Not like Devin. All Devin had to do to respond was to raise an eyebrow and I would be checked.

I sighed and bit into my strawberry and grape jelly sandwich. It was assuredly silent as Shaun ate his greasy cafeteria corn and I my sandwich. However, the quiet was broken when Shaun spilled some of his milk on his jacket.

"Ooh, are you okay?" I said handing him a pile of my napkins. I always grabbed a heap just for Shaun because he always forgot to get them for himself.

He wiped at the chocolate stain "Yeah."

I smiled at a fleeting memory. "Shaun, do you remember last year when Devin spilled his milk all over that freshman girl? She screamed at him for the longest time. Remember? And then we spent the remainder of lunch making fun of him saying things like he'll end up dating he--" I stopped suddenly as it was too painful to continue.

Shaun laughed a little laugh at the recollection and then finished the thought. "And then he did end up dating her."

I winced. "Yeah. You know, Shaun, I wouldn't have minded quite so much if he had told me that he was dating her. Instead I had to find out from you, my other best friend. And you didn't even find out from him personally. How pathetic is that? I'm -- We're his best friends most of the time? All the time except for when it comes to discussing romantic relationships?"

"He abandoned us," Shaun quipped, knowing that was exactly the statement I wanted to hear.

"Indeed he has, Shaun," I affirmed.
♠ ♠ ♠
4/13/09
Thanks for reading. Feedback is, as always, welcome.
Elisabeth