Status: Work in Progress (i.e., updated occasionally)

Boy Proof

Again

After Spanish class the next day I took my sweet time gathering my belongings. Although he had band class to get to, Devin was trying to talk to me. I was spiteful, of course, and would have nothing to do with him.

We had spent the whole class staring at each other. Well, more accurately, he spent the whole class period staring at me. I would look up from my desktop to see him gazing at me, and I would quickly look away.

"Please. Please, Dree. Talk to me. Por favor."

I had reached the door then and glanced back. He looked so pitiful that I almost forgave him. Almost being the key word.

"Perhaps you should have thought about your friends before you abandoned them," I retorted before leaving the classroom.

He chased me down the hallway and attempted to halt my progress by standing in front of me.

"I can run you over, Dev. And I would probably enjoy it if I did."

"What'd I do?" he asked. His dark eyes were wide with excitement and something like innocence.

I shook my head. "The fact that you don't know makes it all that much sweeter, don't you think? Now move."

Devin did not move and so I pushed past him. He jogged to keep up with me.

"What did I do?"

"I think the crime that you are most guilty for is abandonment. Of friends. Yeah, that sounds right."

"Abandon," he panted. "But how did I abandon you?"

"Us," I drawled. "Abandoned us."

I had stopped in the middle of the hall, and several students streaked past on their way to either the cafeteria or fourth period.

"Well how did I abandon you both?"

"I'll be outright with you. New girlfriend. Why wasn't I informed? Isn't it like your duty to tell your friends? Instead I find out from Shaun who found out from someone else. I'm your best friend, Devin. Not just a casual "I eat lunch with you for social reasons" friend but a full-out "I withhold nothing from you" friend. It's not fair if I tell you everything and you tell me nothing."

"Alexandria, I'm sor--" Devin started before he was interrupted by the tardy bell.

"Shit," he uttered before running off to class.

Strangely, I felt similar to a deflated balloon watching him sprint down the school's only ramp and through a set of doors. Again he had left me waiting in a hallway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gracias for reading. As always, comments are welcome.

Elisabeth
6/10/09