Status: Hiatus

Surrender

Prologue

The cold wind whistled through the trees and ruffled my cloak and a few loose strands of my dark hair. I hadn't enough time before Fabian and company arrived to change into my battle gear and my loose robe worried me. It would be much easier to trip, and, if I tripped at all, it could be the end of me.

Searching through the crowd of soldiers, I found who I was looking for. Our eyes met, and I felt the tension rise even more. His minions dispersed around me, but I didn't -- or rather, couldn't -- break eye contact with Fabian. In a moment, the fight would begin. In a moment, our weapons would crash together. In a moment, I could lose everything. In a moment . . .

It was crazy the summation of my life came down to this event. But I suppose it would have come down it to whether I wanted it to or not. I would always hate Fabian. Not because of who he once was but who he became and was now. It honestly scared me how much a person could change in the span of two years, but I couldn't dwell on that pondering as Fabian initiated his before battle chatter.

"Ah, dear sister, what brings you back home to Kiev?" he asked cordially.

"The same thing that drives you every moment of every day," I riddled back just as politely.

"The constant struggle to end boredom?" he laughed.

I tilted my head and smiled falsely. "Dear brother, you know me so very well."

"Yes. I know you, Merry," he said waving his hand. "I know all of your mind, your many weaknesses, your few strengths. I was ever so ashamed of having a sister who was merely mediocre at sword fighting," he chuckled recollecting my awkward skills with the blade. "You did, however, excel at archery and at academics so I have to give you that. Although, I must say that all in all, you were a disappointment for a sister."

"And you in the way of brother," I countered.

He ignored my interruption and proceeded. "Quite the disappointment, that letter. I admit at first I did believe it. But then when the long searches along the riverside yielded nothing, I began to contemplate. You, Meredith, are extremely predictable. You're clever, I grant you, but nonetheless very, very predictable.

It occurred to me that the letter might me a ruse. After that thought came, I searched your room and found Mother's necklace missing. I know how much you value it so it was simple to deduce. If you had, in fact, jumped into the river to die like your letter said, you would have left the necklace for me to pass on as a family heirloom.

It was then I knew. For some reason, you wanted to get out of Kiev. Why? Why not just go visit a cousin if you were sick of the scenery? Because. Because you knew something. Something you didn't want anyone else -- especially me -- to know." He paused and then added, "I'd like to know what that something is."

I scowled. As if he didn't know. As if he didn't carefully plot it all out for months.

"You know, dear brother. Just as you know why I'm here," I proclaimed pulling my blade from its sheath. "My purpose might once have been to be the leader of this province, but now it is to kill you. And if my swordsmanship is as pitiful as it once was and you do overpower me, at least I'll die trying to correct your wrongs."

"Ah, but, Merry, I have done no wrongs," he declared innocently.

In anger, I lunged forward. Our swords clashed, and the final fight had begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed. As always, feedback is welcome and appreciated.
~Elisabeth