The Apple of My Eye

-11-

Anya raised her hand, not knowing how else to get the man's attention. When he looked at her several times, but no acknowledgement came, Anya asked loudly, "Hey, my dragonet's hungry. I'd rather she didn't eat a chair or something; are we going to feed them or not?" Cargan scowled at Anya’s outburst.

"I was waitin' for one of ye youngsters to ask. Number one rule: Attend to ye dragon first, meaning if they’re hungry and ye bleeding to death, ye feed them, and then tend to yerself. Bring in the meat!" The man hollered the last bit.

In came people with wheel barrows of meat freshly slaughtered from a couple of cows.

"Come get two chunks of meat and a knife. Now that ye've done so, cut them to smaller bits and feed your dragonet. Ye will do this until ye dragon can fly down to the pins and get its own food which will most likely be tomorrow." The man said.

As you all fed your dragonets he told you all about himself. "My name is Trijan. My dragon is no longer with us. She died in battle. Another thing, Never put yerself in a situation that will cause ye dragon to come for ye. Ye dragon will do anything for ye. They already know all about ye past.”

Suddenly Trijan hollered at Nayath, “Stop feeding that dragonet! Move it outside before it grows too big to get out through the door." He ordered and the boy had to move his already huge dragon outside.

"A Bulkweight.” Trijan nodded his head sagely. “Lord knows we need more of them. I will be coming around to see what kind of dragonet ye have."

He inspected a girl's Dragonet near Anya. "I'd say this one'd be a Lightweight. We haven't seen one of these in awhile."
The girl was glowing with pride.

He came to Delyth and scritomozed her wings. "Definitely a Longwing, none other like it. Haven't seen one of them in awhile either. You and this lightweight head outside with your dragons."

Anya grinned at the girl and she smiled back.Both of you had just finished feeding your dragonets. Anya picked up Delyth who was already a lot bigger.

I'm sorry. I've grown a lot.
It's fine, m'dear. If you don't get big, then you wouldn't need a rider, now would you?
Very true.

Finally Anya managed to make it outside panting, the girl following behind, also, panting. Anya set Delyth down gently, who spread out her wings which were more than double her length already.

The girl set down her dragonet down gently also, who immediately gave a screech.
"I'm sorry! But I can't control the weather and make it colder! You're already cold enough as it is." The girl exclaimed, feeling awful she couldn't help her dragonet.

"Alright now that I've got the uncommon dragonets down here, I can work with y'all separately. A Bulkweight, obviously is huge. They are considered the largest in weight. These dragons are the brutal ones that literally come barreling at another dragon, using their weight for momentum, and they rip at the scales of the other dragon. They are known for their brute strength and sharp talons." He said this while inspecting the Mynoth closer.

"A Lightweight is considered second largest in weight. These dragons can maneuver better that a Bulkweight because of a greater wingspan. Unlike Bulkweights though, Lightweights can spit fire, acid anything you name it and they can spit it, but only one thing." He said this while inspecting the girl's dragonet closer.

"A Longwing is considered third largest in weight, but surpasses all dragons with wing span. Their wingspan has been up to two times larger than them, but you never know when one might surpass that. Longwings are able to hover, considering they have an extra join in their wings, not only this Longwings generally spit acid." He said while inspecting Delyth's wings.

Suddenly, Delyth unfurled her wings and beat them a little.
"Longwings learn to fly sooner. Then Lightweights and then Bulkweights."

This man is fat. Anya busted out laughing and Trijan looked at her funny.

’Delyth!! That was rude!’ ’It was funny though ...’ Anya could hear the spark of devilment in Delyth’s voice. ’True, but please only say something like that when I'm standing in front of him!’ Delyth didn't respond, but she made a gurgling sound like she was laughing.

"Essylt's itchy." The girl beside Anya said.
"The pots of oil and rags will be in your quarters. For now you will have ground level quarters since your dragons aren't that big." Trijan lead you three off, you three of course were carrying your dragons.

Along the way, the Nayath's quarters were in the first one. The girl's was next and Anya’s the third. Looking at the cave next, which was higher up, Anya could see Obike’s tail poking out.

Carrying Delyth, Anya set her down when she asked Anya to. Looking around Anya found the pot of oil and rags.

"I guess I just rub this on you. Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong."
I will.

So Anya began rubbing the oil into Delyth's scales making them very shiny and smooth.
Cargan’s coming, but don't stop.
Alright, thanks.
Delyth rumbled.

"Anya? May I come in?" Cargan’s voice floated in.
"Yeah come on in."
When he did, Anya said, "I would welcome you in personally, but I'm busy."
"I understand. Trijan sent me in to show you some things. Once you're done, of course." Cargan laughed.

Finally, when Delyth was satisfied and curled up to sleep, Cargan showed Anya the rooms leading out of the cavernous first room. "This is obviously your bedroom, if you need anything for it, which you likely will since you're a girl, just head outside and look through the buildings for it or ask someone. Here is the bathroom. Yes, that pool of water has a continual supply of fresh water coming in from up here and down at the bottom there is a drain where it takes all of the dirty water out."

"I take it the first room is where the dragon lives and where guests come in?" Anya asked. "Yes. Now I need to go; Obike’s calling." Cargan smirked.
"Thanks, bye!" Anya hollered after him as he left.

Delyth relayed a message from Trijan, saying that there weren’t any more lessons tonight, but tomorrow morning you should meet at the fields. Eat breakfast before hand.

"Thanks Delyth, goodnight."
Goodnight, you're welcome.