The Apple of My Eye

-2-

Suddenly, a boy around her age tackled her from the side.

The guy, whose name was Achai, silently held her down while another came panting up to the two of them.

"Thanks, Achai, you can let go of her now." The guy said still panting.
As she sat up from being tackled, she assessed the two boys.

Both were roughly her age. Both seemed like her, street urchins. Both looked to be underfed. Both stared hungrily at food being sold. Yet, they both had a sparkle in their eye.

Finally, the boy had regained his breath. He straightened up and, while looking down at her, said, "I bet you have a lot of questions for us."

"Well, first things first, I'm Fritjov. But you can call me Fritty, since no one can remember it and if they do, they don't know how to say it." Fritty laughed. "And this is Achai, whom you already met."
At his name, Achai nodded his head to her.

When Fritty said each of the names, she examined both of them. Fritty had blonde hair and light blue eyes. Achai had dull brown hair and chocolate-y brown eyes.

"There they are! Get them! There's that girl, too!" somebody yelled.
Fritty and Achai looked over their shoulders, surprised.

"Looks like they already caught up with us, c'mon!" And with that Fritty grabbed her hand and yanked her up, forcing yher to race after him and Achai.

The trio swerved in and out of stalls, over carts, under bridges, down alleyways, scaled fences, and even went through a public bath house. Finally, Fritty and Achai stopped behind an empty warehouse.

“Achai take her in, I'll leave them something to make them want to catch us again." Fritty laughed again and ran off the way you came.

Achai pulled open a box that looked as if it was filled with trash. He motioned for you to follow him after he bent down and began to crawl into it.

Before she could say/do/think anything, Fritty came running up grinning from ear to ear. "Oi! Achai, you're forgetting a certain girl!"

She looked into the box and gasped. Achai was gone. Fritty motioned for you to go ahead of him, "Ladies first, mademoiselle!"

She bent down and crawled into the box; not knowing what to do, she kept crawling and holding her breath from the stench.

After passing through more boxes and under a shroud, she tumbled down into a shaft.