The Apple of My Eye

-5-

One day, Fritty was teaching Anya how to filch an apple or rather any kind of food that’s on a stall opening up into the street. “All you have to do is lean up over the edge, one hand reaching for an apple all the way at the top while the other hand is grabbing two or three right under your body. You try at this one.”

Fritty engaged the stall keeper in conversation as Anya leaned up as far as she could. ‘Dang, ‘ she thought. ‘This is harder than it soun-‘ She stopped thinking because underneath her she could hear a cracking sound.

A look of horror began spreading across her face and soon Fritty had the same look as the whole stall came crashing down, apples flying everywhere and with Anya lying on top.

The stall keeper’s face turned a bright purple-ish red as his voice boomed out, “You good for nothing half breed! You will pay for this. Hey! Get back here!”

Fritty had grabbed Anya’s arm before the stall keeper could get to her and had taken off running. Anya was scared out of her mind and Fritty wouldn’t stop for anything.

When he finally did, it was at the entrance to the warehouse. He practically shoved Anya in and landed at the same time as she did on the pillows.

Before the dust had settled, Fritty went on a tirade, “What the hell was that? Do you know how much trouble you could have gotten us in?”

Taken aback, Anya mumbled, “It’s not like we didn’t get anything out of that.”

Not hearing her, Fritty continued, “I mean, seriously, a blind kid with one leg and arm could do that! How can you be so stupid! And we didn’t even get any apples and now we can’t go back out because they’ll be looking for us.” He glanced once at Anya and then did a double take and stared at her. But not at her, per say, more of her chest which seemed to have tripled in size.

“You didn’t …” Fritty left hanging, a smile tugging at his mouth. Giggling, Anya dumped almost a dozen apples out of her shirt.

Finally, Fritty busted into laughter. He pulled Anya up and danced her around in some weird jig to music that only he could hear.

After a month or two had passed, Anya began regaining her confidence. She didn’t walk slouched and skulking in and out of doorways and alleyways anymore. She stood straight, looked people in the eye, and beginning conversations. And now Fritty and Achai has taught Anya everything they know and they are all best friends.

The trio was walking down a street when a deafening roar was heard over them. Achai just looked up and Fritty didn’t even flinch but grabbed Anya as she ducked and started running to an alleyway.

“Anya, it’s a Demon. They don’t just grab random people on the street.” Fritty laughed. “But you said they eat people for fun!” Anya said, a little miffed at making herself look like a fool.

“Ah, don’t get mad Anya! I just told you some bad information.” Fritty laughed as put his arm around her shoulders and kept it there.

The Demon and its Rider continued on toward the Capital.
♠ ♠ ♠
Reader participation will be needed soon.
♥