Summer of 09'

or are we searching for more than l i f e

Riley's P.O.V.

Today was my last night with the boys before they decided they needed to get back on tour and I needed to go back home and get my school work done. We sat around on Kyle's bed laying there talking, just all seven of us. It was nice for a change.

We decided to play a game, just ask a question and everyone has to answer type thing. It was fun for awhile. It was my turn to ask.

"If you were gay, who'd be your celeb man crush?"

Kyle, of course responded first, "Nick Jonas," and Marc groaned, "Nick was my man crush. You can't have him!" Fighting ensued and I slipped of of the bed along with the other four to watch Kyle and Marc go at it over Nick Jonas.

They weren't even gay, I don't understand.

I turned to Johnathan now and he flashed a smile at me, "Zac Efron, all the girls love him. What can I say?" Slightly disgusted my eyes focused upon Kent who shrugged, "Robert Pattinson," then I looked at Austin.

"Alex Gaskarth," I nearly pee'd myself and so did the others, they simply snickered as the fighting upon the bed continued. But now they were smacking each other with pillow over Nick Jonas. I didn't get it.

My eyes focused now on Caleb, this had to be good which was why I was saving him for last. Then he opened his mouth and spoke,

"Johnathan Cook."

I started laughing as I looked towards Johnathan's face he grinned, "Oh Caleb, you shouldn't have. My heart's all in a flutter now," John commented. I grinned over and then decided it was time to stop the fight between Kyle and Marc.

I squeezed in between them and held up my hands, "Boys, there is an easier way to solve this. Neither of you get Nick Jonas, I do!" I said as the boy started attacking me with pillows and I screeched as I tried to flee. But before I could step off the bed I was tackled back on by Kent and Austin, Caleb and Johnathan decided to join in on the fun.

I was being attacked from all angles, millions of hands were on me tickling me and making cry from the pain of laughing so hard. I thought my lungs would stop working and then they all collapsed around me, exhausted it seemed.

I grinned over to see Kyle laying beside me, his eyes were closed. Then I heard snoring, did they really fall asleep that fast? I pushed myself up and walked towards the balcony and slide onto the two seated cushion chair. I let my eyes look at the lights that illuminated the small town. Car horns exploded and bass pumped through the air, it seemed only natural, natural music.

It was nice to be able to just watch the city beneath you, to be so high up and see everything from another point of view. A smile brushed my lips as I heard the door behind me open but my eyes stayed fixated upon the lights. I already knew who it was.

Caleb.

He picked my legs carefully and placed on top of his thighs as he stared out upon the town with me, we didn't need to say anything. My feelings towards Caleb had been clear in the dressing room, but I knew he wanted me to say them but I wouldn't. I refused to actually believe I had feeling for Caleb Turman.

I only wanted him I decided, that's as far as the relationship between us would go. We were friends, I kept him in check with my snide comments and he kept doing the crazy he things he does so I could comment and we could laugh. I remember being bitter towards Caleb and hating him, but lately, I can't say I feel that anymore.

A part of me was relieved to see Caleb wasn't the person I thought, he was different. He was a good person and an amazing musician. He was a little crazy and liked his moccasins too much and his smile was too die for. Secretly, it made me melt.

Caleb was my guilty pleasure, something I was never going to admit to anyone but myself. I frowned at the thought, I shouldn't let Caleb be my guilty pleasure. I shouldn't let him effect me in the way he does sometimes.

Then Caleb broke the silence, "I'm going to miss you Rye," I decided to let the Rye slide and I smiled over at him to see his eyes were still on the city. He wasn't looking at me but he had a pained expression upon his face. Did he care about me leaving? Nothing would happen, I wasn't an accident magnet.

"I'll miss too Cay," the words were softer than I imagined them to be and knowing I wouldn't be with the boys for awhile, it almost hurt. I felt that my days might be less adventurous and I wouldn't have Caleb around to tease. He wouldn't be there to pick on me or make me laugh or even act weird.

He wouldn't be there to hit on me and I felt something tug at me as I gulped, it seemed almost like I couldn't swallow. Was I hurt by them going back to tour? Yes, I wouldn't be there. Kyle wouldn't be there to scream like a girl, Johnathan wouldn't be there to make me laugh and hold my hand. Austin wouldn't be there to give me his looks of reassurance when Caleb acted weird.

Kent wouldn't be with me to cuddle when I was sad or home sick, they understood what is was like most to be homesick. They had been the road for so long, it becomes second nature and soon after awhile home seems like a nice retreat. The road becomes your home but they understood what it was like to leave people behind, you never stopped missing those people.

I'd miss them almost as badly as I would miss Caleb I determined, I'd miss him, more than I'd probably ever like to admit to myself. I could feel it wash over me and take a hold of me. Somewhere through my bickering and being mean and laughing with him, I had come to care for him in some inconceivable way.

"What are you thinking about?"

My eyes turned to him and then I looked down at my hands that laid loosely in my lap, "I was thinking about how I was going to miss having you around. But don't let that give you big head or anything," I teased as he shot me a smile and I felt my insides melt slowly.

He moved his arm to the top of the chair to rest it there and he motioned for me to my move myself closer to him and I rolled my eyes as I obliged. My side touched his and then I rested my head against his shoulder and his arm wrapped my shoulders in response.

We stayed that way for awhile and we talked and then I saw the sun coming up and I gulped now. The sunset was beautiful and I could feel Caleb's eyes upon me was I watched it rise up above us and I smiled. I was comfortable being here with Caleb with his arm around me. It felt almost like home, almost like maybe I belonged here.

No. I wouldn't let this change how I felt. It was silly. A friendly gesture. Friends stay up and talk. It happens.

I pulled myself away slightly but his arm tightened upon my shoulders as he looked at me more seriously and then he moved forward and his lips brushed against mine, it's sweet and brief. He pulled back to smile at me and I felt everything inside of me stop working. I knew I had to get away, maybe it was for the best they went back. It'd give me time to think.

I stood up and smiled down at Caleb, he smiled back at me as I walked into the hotel room. The boys during the night snuggled with each other and I bit my lip as I took out the cellphone in my pocket, turned it on and snapped the picture. It was our last couple of hours so why not have some fun?

I took a couple steps backward and then ran forward and jumped on top of them and they groaned in unison and I attacked, I would miss them even though I knew I shouldn't.

They were never mine to miss to begin with.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update.
I've started writing them in school so I might update more often.
Yay! :D Things are heatin' up.
Don't you agree? ;D

PS. Man crushes are fun. xD