Summer of 09'

but we gamble with d e s i r e

Numero Trece

Riley's P.O.V.

Life seemed dull without the boys, I returned home that after noon after what was a tearful goodbye. The hugged me and Kyle, well, he threw me over his shoulder and tried to make an escape. He offered that I could be his Princess Bride and we could run away into the sunset together riding a white horse.

My question, "Where the hell are you going to get a white horse?"

But in the end I walked up the stairs, opened the door and closed it behind me. I turned to look through the peephole to see they were leaving already. They came in like a hurricane and left so suddenly, my week of fun was something I knew I wouldn't forget. I had the clothes as a reminder and the memory of Caleb kissing me.

Butterflies danced there way into my stomach as I remember the way his lips felt against mine, my fingertips brushing over my lips lightly. I brushed it off as I walked into the house, my grandma was still away. It was nice to have the house to myself and not have to worry about her getting so drunk one night, she might not wake up.

I ran my hands over small items in my house, trying to get use to the feeling of being home. I felt out of place, as if I didn't belong in the house I had been living in for years. I sighed as I walked into the kitchen to grab myself some bottled water before grabbing the phone and dialing Ava.

"Where the hell have you been?"

The question threw my slightly off guard as I swallowed the cold water, "I was kidnapped."

"WHAT?!"

A smile touched my lips, "It's not what you think. It was all in good fun. I was kidnapped by Caleb Turman and the rest of the insane band."

A chuckled knowing that if I was there to see her reaction it would have been priceless. I heard a thud and could only concluded she dropped the phone in shock, her eyes were probably wide and her jaw slightly slack so her mouth hung open.

"Ava, you there?"

"You didn't invite me?"

"I told you, I was kidnapped. Not my fault," I insisted as she whined into my ear and then went off about how the entire school week we did nothing. Pep rally's consumed the week since we had several huge games for our high school's teams. I knew soon the weather would be over and I'd be going to Warped with Ava.

A single thought fluttered into my mind: Would they be playing?

"RILEY?!"

"Hmmm."

"Are you listening to me?"

"Mhmm," Although, I wasn't. I was too busy dreaming about Caleb and the boys, maybe I'd see them over the summer unless this was a one time thing. My heart sunk a little, I really liked them.

"There were more notes in your locker."

The bottle at my lips froze as I heard Ava chuckle now, "Cat got your tongue, Riles?"

"Did you read them?"

"Of course not, I left them in your locker along with the anything you missed in math."

"Thanks, I better go. I need to straighten the house up a little bit."

We said goodbye as I hung up the phone and leaned against the counter. A part of me wondered who could be sending me such messages? Better yet, why was someone sending me of all people romance cards? Sure little things sent my heart into a flutter, especially small things like romance cards.

But who would know that?

No one.

I made it my decision to never let no one see my weakness. The only person I had ever let in was Ava, but I felt as if maybe I was starting to let Caleb in and I was getting worried. He had the power to crush me, would he?

My eyebrows drew together in thought as I sighed heavily, I'd have to be careful I concluded. I yawned as I remembered I needed sleep. I capped my water bottle as I headed towards my bedroom, climbed beneath the covers and closed my eyes.

Maybe I'd find the answers within in my dreams.

But sleep eluded me, I tossed and I turned and behind my eyes all I could see was Caleb. It was getting to the point I felt tormented and taunted, did he know he would do this to me? He must have, I thought as I tossed my arm over my eyes with a groan. I sneaked a peek from under my arm to see it was still early.

I felt like I needed to escape as I moved from the bed and towards my jacket. I slipped into it as I stuffed my hands in my pocket, a walk had always helped clear my thoughts. I didn't need Caleb, or his kisses. I didn't need the band because they obviously didn't need me.

I felt as if I was just one of Caleb's "flings" and that I'd never be more than anything else. A felt a shiver course through me as the cold air hit me, but I knew it was because inside I wanted to be more than just a friend and one time deal. I wanted to be more than I could comprehend.

My feelings were taught with confusion as my heart raced loudly in my chest, eyes drifting towards me and then away. I let my eyes gaze past them, and then I felt a hand grab me as I heard a car's horn blast through the air abruptly bringing me back to reality.

I looked around dazed as I looked at the hand on my coat, it looked familiar. My eyes slowly pulled up and stared into Caleb's warm eyes, he looked concerned. My lips parted as I looked back towards the car.

If it wasn't for him, I would have been hit.

"I-," he shook his head as he pulled me close into a hug, and I understood. Caleb seemed to be going through the same internal struggle I was, he seemed to be battling demons. Demons we both weren't ready to share but we both knew that we were each fighting parts of ourselves.

The hug seemed to last for an infinite amount of time, it was better than any words he could say to me. It felt as if he was speaking to me just by hugging me and I communicated back, I poured my feelings into the hug knowing I wouldn't be able to speak them but maybe by some luck he'd understand, my hold tightening around his waist.

"Would you like some coffee?"

I pulled my head back from where it had been buried in his brown jacket, my eyes slowly moving upward to look at him.

"Like a date?"

I asked as he looked at me and winked, and I started laughing and it almost seemed I couldn't stop. He pulled back and grasped my hand tightly in his, "Yes, a date," he answered finally. My eyes danced to the ground and all around before finally looking at him, his classic grin was on his face.

"Okay, loverboy. But don't tell anyone, it might ruin my reputation," I teased as he laughed and squeezed my hand and we walked off. We didn't speak words but it seemed as if we both were in tune with what each other was feeling, and for a fleeting second I thought maybe I was falling in love with Caleb.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was cheesy.
Hmmm. (:
But I likeee it.

Comments and Subscriptions.
<3