Summer of 09'

lost o u r s e l v e s

Riley's POV.

The plastic slide beneath me was hot and continued to burn my legs as my mind tried to think of the words I wanted to say, needed to say. My hands tangled together in a mess, almost as messy as my mind was, this was it. The moment where I knew what choice I had to make, the choice I knew that would break somebody.

This was so hard. But it was the right choice, I had to keep convincing myself of that.

I took in deep breaths and then heard shuffling against the concrete, my eyes flying towards the direction in which it was coming. I saw Caleb and gave a shaky smile as I stood up and felt my legs almost give out. He gave a small unsure smile as he stopped right in front of me.

"I made my decision," I spurted out, as he nodded taking my tangled hands and pulling them apart, so he could hold them almost trying to reassure me.

It felt as if the world went still, the birds that were loud and chirping now dead silent and the hot glare of the sun no longer present. It was just Caleb and myself, and soon the words that would forever change us in a huge way.

"Caleb, you've given me the best times of my life," I started giving a smile as he squeezed my hands gently. "You've given me love, and you've shown me that it's okay to open up to people, that not everyone will hurt you. You've shown me how it feels to be so deeply loved by someone else, and you've given me a family and a place with your best friends even. You taught me so much in the time we've spent together, and given me more than I could ever ask for. You're such a smart, talented boy with a good set of morals and friends to support you in all your endeavors."

I could feel his hands tensing around mine as I spoke, it seemed he almost knew what I was going to say, and I felt terrible.

"I can't go with you to Texas," I said softly as he nodded and the tears I hoped he wouldn't see spilled over and he pulled me into his chest. His strong arms enveloping my shaking body, as my hands gripped his shirt tightly as I felt my heart break in two. How could something so right be so painful?

"I'm sorry," I sobbed out against his t-shirt, his hand now running soothingly over my hair, and soon my crying seemed to slow and he pulled back gently to look at me. His thumbs coming to brush against my cheeks and wipe away the tears, and I think he knew that it was as painful for me as it was for him.

Caleb didn't cry, and I knew he'd reserve that possibly for later. But I knew by the broken look in his eyes that this was painful. I knew this was the end for Caleb and I, this was probably the last time we'd ever see each other. The last time I'd ever look into his eyes, I'd remember this.

The wet stains upon his blue v-neck, the way his lips twisted into a fine line, and his eyes looked so pained.

"I'm sure we both know what this means for us," He started cupping my cheeks in his hand as he looked at me carefully, my body still trembling and my broken heart still raging inside of my chest. "Riley Evie Landon, I will always love you and you'll always have a place in my heart."

He moved closer and his lips touched mine for the last time, and I poured myself into the kiss, every inch of passion and love I had was forced into that last painful kiss. When his lips pulled from mine, he placed a kiss onto my forehead and gave a small smile.

His hands trailed down my arms to grip my hands, "This is goodbye," He whispered as I gulped at the large lump in my throat, and nodded softly. This was more painful then I could have ever imagine. His hands left mine and I let them drop limply to my sides, I felt as if I had just lost a piece of myself.

"Goodbye Caleb," My voice breaking as he turned to walk away, and out of my life. I let myself sink to the ground to cry as I knew this is what had to be done, it would spare us before things got deeper even though I was already invested so much. I wouldn't even be able to say goodbye to the boys, this was the end.

Caleb and I were no more.
♠ ♠ ♠
there is one more chapter left.
so stick aroundd, if you don't hate me.
there will be a sequel. :D
<3
comments?