Under Here

Under Here

Under here, you just take my breath away
Under here, the water flows over my head
I can hear the little fishes


Your hands grip gently onto my shoulders as you whisper your last words to me, your hot breath caressing my neck. Your tears mingle with mine as we share our last kiss, and I am drunk on this moment. The stars are out tonight and seaweed is gently playing around my feet, and I thank you for our final, shared, breath.

It’s okay, my dear, we’ll talk again.

You’re crying but you’re not making a sound, holding yourself together the best you can. This was your plan, and I accept that it has to be this way. We’d meet again on the other side, you assured me, and I trust you completely. You always did know what to do. You knew that this was best for us, and I thank you for your strength.

Under here, your huge hand is heavy on my chest
And under here, Sir, your lovely voice retreats
And yes, you take my breath away


You slowly sink me under, the water swallowing me whole. It’s peaceful here, the silence washes me clean. I can no longer hear their voices, I am consumed only by the image of you dancing in shards of moonlight all around me. I can’t help but smile as I see your kind face, and I thank you for your courage to end our pain.

It’s okay, my dear, we’ll meet again.

Your grip is firm and unwavering, letting me know you’re still there, by my side like you always have been. Through the final moments, will you stay, and I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for yours. But you keep me in your lovers embrace. The water is icy cold, and I’m losing feeling in my toes, but I thank you for your warm touch.

Look at my hair, as it waves and waves
Sir, under here, I have such pretty hair
Silver, it is, and filled with silver bubbles


My last breath escapes me, forming tiny bubbles that mingle in my hair, dancing gracefully to an unheard rhythm. My dress billows gently like I’m walking down the aisle, the aisle we will share. If only my mother could see me now, I must look like a princess, sitting on my throne while tiny fishes play at my feet. I know she won’t ever see, but I don’t mind, because for once I know I am beautiful, and I thank you for it.

It’s okay my dear, we’ll be perfect again.

Under here, I am weightless, floating, the gravity of our burdens dismissed. Twenty six weeks yesterday, a baby boy you have given me. He is not well, and you couldn’t bare him suffer. This way, he will know no pain. Only the peaceful water caressing us both, as we sink lower. He is ours, and I thank you for this gift.

And under here, my blood will be a cloud
And under here, my dreams are made of water
And, Sir, you just take my breath away


It’s growing darker, but I’m no longer scared. You’re the only thing I can see now, and I know I’ll never be hurt again. You promised me you’d never let them get me, and now here I am, protected under your touch and the reassuring silence. I have never felt safer with your graceful hand held upon my heart, counting its final beats. You have saved me, and I thank you for it.

It’s okay, my dear, we’ll see one another again.

The lights are slowing dimming, and I can feel my life slowly slip away. I have become a part of the earth. I am the water, gently flowing through me, and I am the rocks digging into my back. I am the earth rising up and enveloping me. I am nothing. And you are the last thing I see, as I smile up at you, knowing that I have never loved you more. Everything is perfect now, and I thank you for this final moment.

Under here, I am made ready
And under here, I am washed clean
And, Sir, you just take my breath away