What would an escaped killer want from ME?!?

Chapter 1

"La!?!" Sasha Lindon, aka San, aka my best friend, yelled through the rough static of the phone

"San!!!" Kayla Johanson, aka La, aka me, yelled back, laughing, "Really, what are the odds that he'll actually see us?"

We were both on our way to the school basket ball game. It was the playoffs. I go to a small high school in a small town. The games are pretty much the highlights of our dull, boring lives. San has it in her head that Jamie, the guy that i have secretly been in love with since the 8Th grade would see me tonight and realize that he loves me and can't live without me.

"Well," she started, "I don't but i do know that you HAVE to go to this game. It's destiny. It was in the cards!"

San was my best friend but she sometimes got on my nerves with her talk of "destiny" and "the Cosmos" and all that stuff. I believe in it, too, but she lives her life around every tarot card and tea leaf.

"Fine," I told her, "But i gotta go. It's starting to pour and i can barely see through the windshield."

"Alright," she sighed, "Bye love."

"Bye i said as i flipped my phone shut and threw it in the passenger's seat of my old beat up mustang. I flipped on the radio and turned the dial with one hand. Static, Static, Country music, Weather, News on the oncoming storm, News on the escaped loony from three weeks ago, some stupid talk show, and FINALY, some good music. I relaxed as the dirt road turned back to pavement and Pink Floyd softly flowed through my speakers.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh My GOD!" San yelled to me after the game. "DID YOU SEE HIM H=LOOK AT YOU?!?"

"Um, no?" I told my friend, "He didn't look at me."

"He totally did! right before he scored the winning basket, he looked right at you!"

"Whatever, Hun," I laughed at the idea. Jamie Kilona, looking at me?!? HA and again HA, "I got to go. My mom wants me to pick up milk at the store for her." The stores around here all close at 10. It was now 10:30, but lucky for me, San's brother Matt is closing up at the one he works at tonight and he promised he'd wait to leave until i got there.

"Alright, call me tomorrow. We'll make plans for this weekend. Who knows, maybe they might include Jamie."

I said goodbye to San and hopped into my mustang.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"NO!!!!" I yelled as i heard a 'pop' and my car began to swerve. Stupid tires. I pulled over and got out of the car, into the rain. Stooping down to check the damage, i noticed that i could NOT fix that with a patch. I would have to change it. Then i remembered that i didn't have a tire.

"Oh well," i said out loud. The store was only about two minutes away . Matt always has a spare.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mattyyyy," I complained as i walked through the store, soaking wet.

"Gosh, La, You fall in a pond?"

"Don't mock the wet person. She has amazing hugging abilities."

"Yeah well hurry up, i gotta close up, it's almost 11, you said you'd be here no later then ten past."

"I need milk and a pair of strong sexy hands to change a tire?" I looked at him with hopeful eyes.

"Why don't i just give you a ride home?"

"Because my mom would kill me if i left my car out here."

"Fine," he gave in, "Get your milk. I'll go out and grab my truck. Lock up on your way out, would you?"

He threw my his keys and a ran to grab the milk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know," Matt started, he successfully removed the old tire, getting covered in mud, "You're lucky i don't hate you. If my tire blows and i have to walk home you're going to feel bad if i die of pneumonia."

"Drama queen," I laughed at him, "You know you love me!"

"Yeah, I'm forced to," he sighed, "Pop the trunk, would ya?

I opened the door and popped the trunk for Matt to put away the broken tire. I looked back to see him shaking his head in the rain.

"What?" i asked

"There's too much junk back here. What do you live out of your car?! Open the door for me."

I walked along the side of the road and opened the door for Matt to store the tire into the back before moving out of his way and to the other side of the car. He finished changing the tire and hugged me before hopping into his truck and driving in the opposite direction of which i would be going in a Minuit. I looked at the changed tire and shut the door that Matt had absent-mindedly forgotten to close, then i hopped into the driver's seat and started down the road.

It was still heavily raining and i was fully soaked as i drove down the road in silence. A car was behind me, driving faster than my own thirty-five in the pouring rain. As i began to pull over to let him pass, he started to slow down. so i sped up. Then he began to beep like a maniac. I began to pull over again but he just slowed down. This routine went on for about ten minuites. The guy continued to beep at random points. I would look back and he would stop, then minuites late he would again. I picked up my cell and quickly punched in San's number.

ring

"LA! i was just about to call you. the cards....."

"Shut up for a second San," I cut her off, "there's some lunitic who's been following me and beeping, i don't know that to do!"

"OMG! La don't let him know where you live. Call the cops! The cards said that there would be something bad happening tonight. It had to do with cars and a crazy guy," I gasped and began to speed up, the guy behind me sped up, too, "What's he look like?"

I looked in my rear view mirror, "I don't know, the windows are tinted!"

"Call the cops then call me right back,"

I let out a small 'yeah' and hung up. As i did this the car behind me went crazy and his high beams began to flash. I looked back, and they stopped. I flipped open my cell phone and realized that i didn't know the number for the local police. '911' wouldn't handle a crazy guy harassing a teenager. Then i remembered that Bill, my mother's friend was a cop. I knew his number. 3-8-2... the car behind me went crazy again, i looked back then quickly dialed the rest of the number. BEEP BEEP then the high beams again.

"Hello?"

"BILL!" I nearly yelled into the phone, "It's Kayla!"

"Oh hi Kayla," Bill said, "How are you?"

"Bill, there's a lunitic following me and he keeps beeping and flashing his high beams and every time i try to pull over, he starts to pull over, too, and..." I was in tears now.

"Listen Kayla," Bill said, "Drive around for a while while we try to get to your house, alright? Don't pull over for anything, I'm sure you've heard of the maniac that escaped a few weeks ago. He's been spotted around our parts."

I let out a small squeek at the mention of the maniac and said goodbye to Bill. Then I took a turn at the next road, the guy behind me going crazy again.