What would an escaped killer want from ME?!?

Chapter 3

I continued driving down the road, knowing that at any moment the car would give up. It had been over half an hour but I didn’t think I would even make it home. I got to the turn that would bring me back on the path to my house.

"Please make it," I pleaded to no one in particular, "just a couple more minutes."

But the old car couldn't take the couple more minutes. I felt myself start to lose the control I had over the car as it started to slow down. The man driving the truck sped up, determined to kill me. The truck moved ahead of me. I breathed a sigh of relief as me cell phone rang.

"Hello?" I was still shaking from the whole experience but there was a smile on my face.

"Where are you?" A smooth male voice I knew as my brother's came through the phone, "we gave you half an hour and we've been waiting for you for ten minutes!"

"I ran out of gas and he kept driving!" I laughed into the phone, "he's gone!"

The dark night air was suddenly filled with light and beeping noises. I felt myself sink into my seat as my eyes adjusted to the light and I recognized the truck through my squinted eyes.

"Or not," I said as I dropped my phone. This is it. I quickly locked the driver's side door and before I even thought of it, I felt my body slide across the car and dive out the passenger's side door and roll silently into the woods.

~*~*~

CHEVY DRIVER'S POV

~*~*~

I had been watching her at the game. I saw which car she had gotten into and I followed from a distance, not knowing if I should do it tonight or not. I might not have the courage. But then my chance came. The tire had blown to pieces and she got out; inspecting the damage. I thought, 'this is my chance!' I had been watching for weeks now, just waiting for my chance. Then she began walking, I stayed where I was hidden behind a curve in the dirt road. I was nothing more than a coward; it was a perfect chance and I ruined it. She walked further and I stayed still.

Only a few minutes later she had returned in a truck with a guy. They got out and I saw that he had a spare to change the tire with. I watched them. I must have overlooked something in my research. I didn't know who this guy was. She wasn't alone anymore. I can't carry out my plan with people around. I was about to turn around and leave; to go back to where I belong, when I saw the other guy leave. But I saw something else, too. A chance. A chance to prove I am not a coward.