Pick and Choose

Chapter 3

||Mike’s POV||

Caitlin slid into the passenger’s seat of my car as I got into the driver’s side. I gunned the engine and took off toward the Hardrock Café near Scotiabank Place, where the other guys were waiting. I got out of the car and opened the door for Caitlin, who smiled at me.

“You’re such a gentleman,” She said. I smiled, blushing a little as I led her inside and to the table the other guys were at.

“Okay, so you already know Daniel, Jason, Dany, Pascal and Mike,” He said, and the guys waved, “so this is Christoph Schubert, Chris Campoli, Alex Auld, Brian Elliott, Anton Volchenkov, Jarkko Ruutu, and Chris Neil.” Caitlin looked a little nervous sitting with the other guys, so she sat between me and Daniel. The guys started up conversations, which Caitlin easily jumped into. I smiled and settled into my seat.

||Several Hours Later||

Caitlin and I were at a bar nearby with Jason, Dany, Pascal, Anton, Jarkko and Christoph. Caitlin and I were next to each other, enjoying the company and the drinks we had in front of us. We sat and chatted for a while before getting up to dance. We were together on the dance floor, and I was enjoying the feeling of her hands on my chest and arms. I looked down at her and saw the look in her eyes. I grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the bar. Wrapping my arms around her, I pulled her into a wonderful kiss. Funny, I never felt this way when kissing Hilary, I thought to myself as we pulled apart for air. I pulled her into my car and we quickly drove off.

“Where’s your house?” I asked her. She gave me directions, and I found it easily.

“Why are we at my house?” She asked, finding her keys and opening the door. I pulled her into another kiss.

“I don’t want to wake up Hilary,” I said, and she led me to her room.

||A Few Weeks Later||

||Caitlin’s POV||

I lay next to Mike, who was still asleep. I smiled at him and ran my fingers through his hair lightly. He snored softly and unconsciously moved closer to me. Suddenly, I got the feeling in my stomach that I was going to throw up. I jumped up out of bed and raced to the bathroom.

“Caitlin?” I heard Mike call. He found me in the bathroom and held my hair back while I threw up in the toilet. “You okay, honey?” He asked, rubbing my back soothingly. I nodded as I pulled away from the toilet. He helped me up and helped me to brush my teeth. He helped me back to bed and I lay down, closing my eyes and wishing the rolling feeling in my stomach away. “You sure you’re okay?” He asked, sitting next to me and stroking my hair lightly. I nodded, the feeling in my stomach easing slowly.

“I’m all right,” I said weakly. “I don’t know what it is.”

“Want to try eating something?” He asked. I nodded and followed him to the kitchen. I sat down at the table and he got me a bowl of dry cereal. I ate it slowly, not wanting to upset my stomach again. I managed to keep it and some orange juice down. I put my dishes in the sink and went upstairs to take a quick shower. I got dressed and went downstairs to meet up with Mike. “Okay, I’m off to practice,” He said. I kissed him goodbye and went to lay on the couch for a while. My phone rang about ten minutes later.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hey Caitlin! Mike said you weren’t feeling well, so I’m coming over to spend some time with you!” Kelly said excitedly.

“Oh, okay then. I’ll see you in a little while, then,” I said, hanging up. A few minutes later, Kelly knocked on my door. “Hey, come on in!” I said. She sat on the couch with me.

“Okay girl, spill,” She said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, I know that you’re not really sick, so what is it?” She asked.

“I think I might be pregnant,” I confessed.

“What? Is it Mike’s?” She asked. I nodded. “When?”

“Five weeks ago, give or take a few days.”

“Well, you’re going to the hospital to get a pregnancy test done, and I’m coming with you. We’ll tell Mike later,” She said. We got into her car and she drove to the hospital. The doctor came into the room and took some blood.

“We should have the results in about an hour,” He said. We sat around talking until the doctor came back in. “Congratulations, you’re pregnant!” He said.

“Thank you, doctor,” I said, and Kelly and I left. “When should I tell him? How should I tell him? Will he freak out? I don’t know what to do, Kelly!” I babbled on and on until Kelly clapped a hand over my mouth.

“Calm down, girl! I’ll be there with you when you tell him, so don’t even freak out too much!” She said. “We’re going right now to tell him. Practice should be over, right?” My heart fell into my stomach.

“What if Hilary’s there?” I said.

“Then she’s there, I don’t know. They’re still going out?”

“Yeah, and she doesn’t know I slept with Mike!”

“Oh, that’s a problem. If she’s there, she’ll know, and I bet you and Mike will be together.”

“God, I hope you’re right.”