Locked Doors

01

I stared up at the building in front of me, not exactly sure what to do.

I had just moved from Denver, Colorado to Lutherville, Maryland, and it was my first day of school at Dulaney High School.

I figured that I better go to the office before it got too late, so I could receive my schedule. I adjusted my backpack, and made my way up to the doors, trying to pull them open. I tugged on the door, but had no luck.

“Here, they only unlock this one,” I heard a voice say behind.

“Oh, uhm thanks,” I said turning to look at who had helped me.

“I’m guessing you’re new here?” he said as he opened the door for me.

“Yeah, I just moved here from Colorado,” I said as we stood in the lobby of the school, “I’m Gabby, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you Gabby, I’m Rian,” he said extending his hand for me to shake, “And it’s about time for 1st hour, so I should get going. I’ll see you around.”

“Bye Rian,” I said as he turned to walk away, “Wait! Which way’s the counseling office? I still need my schedule.”

“It’s right behind you,” he said chuckling a bit.

“Oh, well that’s not embarrassing,” I half mumbled to myself, “Thanks Rian, see you later.”

He waved again, and walked off down the hallway, presumably towards his class. I waved back, and turned around and walked into the counseling office, ready to get my schedule.

“May I help you,” an older woman, about 50, asked as she looked up at me.

“My name’s Gabby Solana, I’m new and I needed my schedule,” I said fidgeting with the hem of my shirt.

“Oh yes, I remember hearing about you,” she said digging through a stack of papers, “Here’s your schedule, and your escort should be here shortly.”

“Escort?” I asked as I eyed my schedule.

“Yes, Mr. Dawson is going to show you around the school, and help you get used to it here,” she said smiling, “Most of your classes are with him, and the ones that aren’t, have at least one of his friends in them. We figured it would be easy if you could focus around a central group of friends.”

“Oh, alright,” I said as I heard the door to the office open, “Hey Rian, what’re you doing in here?”

“I guess I’m your ‘escort’,” he said laughing.

“Oh wonderful! You two have already met,” the lady said smiling, “Now, off to class before you’re super late.”

We both just nodded at her, and made our way to our first hour.

“So, I guess we’ll be seeing a lot of each other,” I said breaking the silence that had fallen over us.

“Looks like it,” he said flashing his perfect teeth at me, “Alright, we have Calculus first hour with Mr. Ybarra. He’s a pretty chill teacher, as long as you do your homework and all that jazz.”

“Alright, I’ll remember that,” I said laughing as we reached the classroom door.

We walked in, and I was introduced to the class, before I was shown to my seat. Luckily, it was at the same table as Rian, so I didn’t have to worry about not knowing anyone.

~*~*~

It was currently lunch time, and I wasn’t sure who I was going to sit with. I mean, sure Rian was my ‘escort’ and friendly, but I bet he was doing it out generosity for the new kid.

I started to make my way to an empty table, when I felt someone place their hand on my shoulder.

“Hey, wanna eat with me and my friends?” Rian asked as I turned to face him.

“I don’t want to impose or anything,” I said shifting from foot to foot.

“Not at all!” he said smiling at me, “You’re my friend too, duh!”

“Well, okay, I’ll sit with you guys,” I said as I followed him over to a table.

“You know, I’m glad that door was locked this morning,” Rian said shooting me smile.

“Why, so you could laugh at me,” I said laughing a little.

“No, because I got to make a new friend,” he said laughing with me, “Possibly a new best friend.”

“Then I’m glad it was locked too,” I said smiling at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
There you have it :)

I think it's cute.

I'm thinking of making this into a short story.
I don't know yet.